Rare characters and input compatibility mode

sthubbar

榜眼
How do I display rare characters on the search line with input Field Compatiblity mode enabled on a PalmOS with CJKOS 4.63?

For example the fifth entry for meng3 in the ABC dictionary meaning mongoose in xie4meng3 appears to be a rare character. With Input Compat mode disabled, I can highlight and copy this to the search field. With Input Compat enabled, it doesn't show up.

I assume this has something to do with CJKOS. CJKOS has 3 fonts, GB, GBK, and BIG5. I want simplified, so I ignore the last one. According to the docs, GB has 8178 entries and GBK has about 24066. I would think this character should be in the 24066. I enable CJKOS and select GBK and disable Smart character select. I can verify this is using GBK because I only install the 16point font and when I display larger characters they are pixilated. If it were using the GB font, I have the 24point installed and they wouldn't be pixilated.

Is there something else special to allow these rare characters to display? BTW another example of a character that can't be displayed it the ti4 in ti4sha1.

ipsi

状元
I'd suggest you turn off input compatibility mode unless you frequently use features that require it.

If you don't want to, though, I don't imagine there's much that can be done about the rare characters. You could try hunting down the various extra fonts available on the CJKOS site, but I've got no idea if any will contain it. They'll also use more RAM, something most Palm devices are really short on...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Nope, not much to do about that other than turning off Input Field Compatibility - we don't support GBK at the moment, only regular GB and Big5, and it's unlikely we'll add GBK until we drop support for Palm OS and start relying on more standard open-source libraries for character encoding conversions.