Reader feature request: increase spacing between paragraphs + other

Hi, I began using a lot the clipboard reader, and I think it would be good to improve the readability that the spacing between two paragraphs is increased (either by an option or with a default value). This is most important for longer texts, where if you scroll the screen you may loose the position you were reading.

About the popup dictionnary: since it already blocks most of the screen, why not make it larger, so as to be able to read longer definitions (typically the ones from Outlier)?

Another thing, a little bit annoying: the arrow button at the bottom of the screen to scroll through characters. It happens to me quite often to tap just a bit above, in consequence of what all the bottom buttons are hidden. It would be good to find a way to avoid this: for instance add a 'close dictionnary' button' at the bottom, or double tap to close (I'm sure someone will find a better way :) ).

Thanks!

Shun

状元
I agree, the tap area at the very bottom of the screen (or the sides of the screen) also tends to be a little bit less sensitive to touches—one needs to pay attention to hit them—, so perhaps one could also just add an option to make the selection toolbar wider, allowing the user to reach the arrow buttons more easily.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've added a paragraph spacing option for our 4.0 update, though it's currently an "Expert Mode Only" feature as we're generally being extremely strict about paring down options for novice users.

Popup dictionary: why not just tap on the button to bring up the full definition screen in that case?

Accidental tap to dismiss: what model of device / version of iOS / version of Pleco are you using? We actually redirect taps a bit above the toolbar down to the toolbar to avoid this, so if that's not happening in your case then it's probably a bug.

Shun

状元
On the "accidental tap to dismiss" issue: I'm using an iPhone Xr and an iPhone 12 running iOS 15.1, and unfortunately I do not observe any redirection of my taps; even if I tap only one or two tenths of an inch above the arrow buttons in the selection toolbar, I immediately lose the pop-up definition. I feel a much larger/higher invisible tap area should help a good bit.

thanks, I agree with you regarding minimizing the quantity of options.
I’m using an iPhone 12 with iOS 15.0.2.
Concerning the dictionary,I use the full screen definition when I need to dig a bit more, but since the screen is occulted anyway by the pop up definition, why not take full advantage of the available space?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
since the screen is occulted anyway by the pop up definition, why not take full advantage of the available space?

Even with the screen hidden, the context is still there - you still see the same page behind it and so can more easily remember your place on the page. We do have an option to lock the popup to the bottom (in Settings / Popup Definition) if you find that you’re not able to keep track of where you’re reading with the bubble.

Adding to this post (ipad and iphone)

I feel there should be a back or a return button to the reader from the main dictionary (after you have searched a highlighted word within the reader). At the moment you need to click on the side pane and then click back into the document in the reader section. Maybe it's just me that finds this annoying lol.

Secondly I think it would be nice if tags should show up in the pop up dictionary window within the reader. However, I can see there is some kind of highlighting based on tags planned for 4.0? I couldn't work out highlighting within the readers on the current builds if it's already got some kind of implementation.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I feel there should be a back or a return button to the reader from the main dictionary (after you have searched a highlighted word within the reader). At the moment you need to click on the side pane and then click back into the document in the reader section. Maybe it's just me that finds this annoying lol.

We're switching to a bottom bar UI in our next major update, at least on phones.

Secondly I think it would be nice if tags should show up in the pop up dictionary window within the reader. However, I can see there is some kind of highlighting based on tags planned for 4.0? I couldn't work out highlighting within the readers on the current builds if it's already got some kind of implementation.

Both of those are in the works, yes - can highlight based on tags and can display in them in the reader window.