Reader help

LantauMan

进士
I know the Reader is not a word processor, but one thing is driving me batty, and I find no guidance in the manual:

I'm trying to use it to capture about ten lines of text from a sign, using the OCR and dumping text to the Reader. Character recognition is remarkable. Due to the layout, I'm capturing it half a line at a time, adding it to the Reader, capture the next half line, add to Reader, dengdeng. So far so good. Then I realize I made a mess of it: I accidentally skipped a line. Since I see no way to insert new text in the middle of the current Reader text, I want to start over. I wish to be able to EITHER:

1) Delete everything in the current Reader file (not yet saved, by the way) and start with a blank slate.
OR
2) Start a new blank file.

I can't see a way to do either! I force close Pleco, reopen it, open the Reader, and all the text I imported is still there, even though I never saved the file. Autosave, I presume. But I can't get rid of it and start afresh with either a blank screen or new file. Is there a setting I can't find?

If there was an option in the Reader to "Clear screen" or "New File" (one or the other; both are not necessary) it would accomplish my goal. Consider that a feature request. Cheers.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LantauMan said:
I wish to be able to EITHER:

1) Delete everything in the current Reader file (not yet saved, by the way) and start with a blank slate.
OR
2) Start a new blank file.

I can't see a way to do either! I force close Pleco, reopen it, open the Reader, and all the text I imported is still there, even though I never saved the file. Autosave, I presume. But I can't get rid of it and start afresh with either a blank screen or new file. Is there a setting I can't find?

What you're looking at when you go back into the reader is actually the system clipboard; we put all of the text you're capturing in there so that you can easily stick it in another app. However, if you simply start a new OCR session, it should clear the clipboard and start appending text to a new, empty one instead.

LantauMan

进士
mikelove said:
What you're looking at when you go back into the reader is actually the system clipboard; we put all of the text you're capturing in there so that you can easily stick it in another app. However, if you simply start a new OCR session, it should clear the clipboard and start appending text to a new, empty one instead.

I get it that it's the system clipboard. But how to start a new OCR session? As I said, I used Task Manager to completely exit Pleco and OCR, yet after starting up both again, I still was presented with the same text in the clipboard, not a blank screen.

I don't know how common is my use of the OCR (in this case, collecting information from signs in a museum). Sure, I could photograph each sign and print them, but I was kind of reaching for saving them as text in separate files, one per sign, which I could later review and use Pleco to look up specific words. It seems that (on my device, at least, an LG Optimus One) the ideal way would be to 1) Save current text as a file; 2) Clear screen; 3) Dump more text via OCR; 4) Save as new file.