Reader pop-up docking and double tapping

Vara

Dear friends,

I have been using Windows Mobile based Pleco contentedly for years, but lately circumstances forced me to change for Android Phone (HTC Desire Z A7272 (Vision), Android 2.3.7). The first fact I was fighting with was the swiftness which I was used to on my old WM Phone and which was gone with the new one. I thought it was because the HTC Desire is not really an up-to-date model, but later I realised most of my friends using Android based Pleco are encountering the same problem even with much faster and better devices than I have. Surprisingly, the iPhone version runs quite smoothly. I would love to see the WM Pleco immediate reactions on each tapping also in the Android version. Is there anything I can do for it with my device?

Nevertheless, the biggest problem, which causes me a lot of pain during my work are two features of Android version Pleco's Reader.

1) In the WM Pleco Reader, when I tapped a character, a definition came out. When I needed to see another definition, I just directly tapped another character and another definition appeared. Easy, fast, smart. Now, with the Android version, when you tap, the definition pops up (that is the same), but if you need another definition, you first need to tap once (anywhere on the screen) to hide the already popped up definition and only then to tap again (on some other character) to see the new definition. It might seem as a small issue, but I do a lot of translating and interpreting job nearly every day and I found out that it slows my work twice, as you have to tap twice as much. Together with the slow reactions of the Reader it really is a disaster.
Is there any setting I missed to fix this, i. e. to go from tap (definition) to tap (definition) directly without the need of hiding the pop-up first, as with the old WM version?

2) The pop-up bubble which comes out after tapping a character in an Android version appears next to the character I tapped, which means it comes out every time on a diferent place on the screen, according the actual place of the tapped character. In WM Pleco Reader the field for all definitions was docked to the bottom of the screen and it did not move irrespective of the actual position of the tapped character, so it did not interfere with the text around the tapped character. Android version pop-up covers the text around and its often annoying to remove the bubble by tapping to see the context and tap again to see the translation again when it is not really clear. Nowadays, the screens of mobile devices are much bigger then they was in the time of WM phones, so it might not be that big trouble just to split the screen to have the definition at one place in the lower half of the screen and the clear text in the upper half, with the adjustable splitting line (exactly as it was in WM version).

I guess I might seem picky, but now I always have to cary my Android phone as a "calling device" and also my old falling-apart WM Phone with old Pleco as it is way faster and comfortable to work with.

Please, is there any hidden setting which would solve my problems? Or are you planning to solve these in next versions of Pleco?

Sorry for so much writing. I just tried to make things as clear as possible.

Thank you very much for your reply and for your effort you made developing Pleco for us so far.

Regards,

Ondrej Varil

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Vara said:
I have been using Windows Mobile based Pleco contentedly for years, but lately circumstances forced me to change for Android Phone (HTC Desire Z A7272 (Vision), Android 2.3.7). The first fact I was fighting with was the swiftness which I was used to on my old WM Phone and which was gone with the new one. I thought it was because the HTC Desire is not really an up-to-date model, but later I realised most of my friends using Android based Pleco are encountering the same problem even with much faster and better devices than I have. Surprisingly, the iPhone version runs quite smoothly. I would love to see the WM Pleco immediate reactions on each tapping also in the Android version. Is there anything I can do for it with my device?

The slowness is actually an Android problem - it got a good deal better in Android 4.0 with the introduction of hardware graphics acceleration, and then a good deal better still in Android 4.1 with Google's "Project Butter" specifically to improve UI smoothness, but on older versions of Android there's not much we can do to get performance up to WM levels; fundamentally, while Android phones do run faster processors than WM phones did, until recently most of that benefit was wiped away by the overhead of using Java instead of native code (and some other abstractions relating to that).

So about the only advice I can give you on the smoothness front is to upgrade to a newer phone (the Google Nexus 4 runs the very latest version of Android and costs $299 unlocked) or switch to iOS.

Vara said:
Please, is there any hidden setting which would solve my problems? Or are you planning to solve these in next versions of Pleco?

Problem #2 can be fixed by the "Lock to bottom" option in Settings / Reader. No hidden setting for #1, but we probably will be adding one in a future release - pedagogically we're actually very much against it, and it's not really a popular feature request, but we're soon going to start supporting some types of document file in which it's impossible to determine the location of the character that you tapped on and that has kind of forced our hand. (it already works that way in still image OCR, in fact)

Vara

Thank you very much for your answer, Mike.

mikelove said:
No hidden setting for #1, but we probably will be adding one in a future release - pedagogically we're actually very much against it, and it's not really a popular feature request, but we're soon going to start supporting some types of document file in which it's impossible to determine the location of the character that you tapped on and that has kind of forced our hand. (it already works that way in still image OCR, in fact)

But, I do not really get the reason why this should be unpopular. Where is the difference between WM Pleco, where this feature was working great, and Android Pleco? Is it not obvious that working with the new Android reader is actually more complicated and thus slower? And the rest of the answer - sorry for my incapability - is there any hope for me I can expect to get at least a little bit closer to the WM Pleco Reader user standard with this "double tap problem"?

Thank you very much again.

Ondrej

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Vara said:
But, I do not really get the reason why this should be unpopular. Where is the difference between WM Pleco, where this feature was working great, and Android Pleco? Is it not obvious that working with the new Android reader is actually more complicated and thus slower? And the rest of the answer - sorry for my incapability - is there any hope for me I can expect to get at least a little bit closer to the WM Pleco Reader user standard with this "double tap problem"?

It's not that it's unpopular in that we expect that people would actively dislike it, it's just that we've had very few complaints about the change; given how vocal our customers are about even much more minor design changes, we tend to think that if people didn't like the popup interface, they'd tell us.

For my part, I like it better because (among other things) it's:

• Unintrusive: you can keep reading and then just pull up a definition when you need it, but not have it interrupt your reading flow when you don't
  • Consistent: we also use the exact same reader interface when cross-referencing words in dictionary entries / flashcards / etc, screens in which we most certainly would not want an always-present reader definition getting in the way
  • Close to the text: particularly useful on tablets - your eyes don't have to jump down to the edge of the screen to get the definition - and in texts with more complicated layouts (mainly an issue on iOS, where the reader works on live web pages and not just on extracted web page text)
  • Learning-friendly: the "crutch" of looking up an unknown word is there when you need it, but it's not ever-present, so you're encouraged to try to work things out on your own before popping up the definition

But as I said, we are planning to add an option for a WM-esque permanently embedded reader in a future release - it'll just be buried / off-by-default for document types where it's not required.

HW60

状元
One situation where I do not very much like double tapping is during a flashcard session, tapping a single character and getting just one dictionary entry with this character popping up. Up to this point it is a great improvement compared to WM. The question is (and that is a similar situation in the reader): why is a tap needed to close the popup? No other reaction than closing the popup is possible, therefore any tapping should close the popup AND do what the tap really intends at the same time.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
One situation where I do not very much like double tapping is during a flashcard session, tapping a single character and getting just one dictionary entry with this character popping up. Up to this point it is a great improvement compared to WM. The question is (and that is a similar situation in the reader): why is a tap needed to close the popup? No other reaction than closing the popup is possible, therefore any tapping should close the popup AND do what the tap really intends at the same time.

What if you just want to close the popup? Tapping and having it do something else would be annoying. Also, with the popup being "modal" it generally feels like it ought to take over whatever is behind it - tapping on characters with the popup already open to jump to them probably only makes sense with a permanently embedded reader.

HW60

状元
In flashcards, you can
a) without closing the popup
- copy to clipboard
- listen to audio
b) close the popup AND do what tapping wants to be done
- right arrow in the top right
c) just close the popup
- the empty screen
- the right arrow for next card

I think everything is OK but the last one: the right arrow for next card could just advance, and with the tap on the empty screen there is a closing tap. But for me it is not a real problem ...

Vara

Dear Mike,

any news about any development of this topic?:

No hidden setting for #1, but we probably will be adding one in a future release - pedagogically we're actually very much against it, and it's not really a popular feature request, but we're soon going to start supporting some types of document file in which it's impossible to determine the location of the character that you tapped on and that has kind of forced our hand. (it already works that way in still image OCR, in fact)

But as I said, we are planning to add an option for a WM-esque permanently embedded reader in a future release - it'll just be buried / off-by-default for document types where it's not required.

I tried to search for any new option in the new Pleco Built but have not found any.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Ondřej Vařil