Reader Questions

benzhen

进士
Hi I have some questions about the reader, which while being the most super awesome feature for me, seems to be still incomplete. I understand that this is the nature of beta, but i also just want to check that a few features won't be missing from the final. This first one is hardware button scrolling, am i missing something or is this not implemented? For reading long books this is pretty essential and just so much more convenient. Also, at least for regular text files the position of the document is not remembered when you exit and re-enter the reader module. Also, bookmarks don't seem to work either. Anyway, if these are being worked on, no worries but if they aren't planned for the final i'd have to formally submit a plea for them because these features are what make e-reading so great. Thanks for the awesome product.

ipsi

状元
I'm not sure about it remembering your position, but the rest of them are all being worked on. :D. Bookmarks work in the IA Experimental Beta and on PPC (as far as I know), and hardware button scrolling should be in the next beta.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Remembering your position should work too - it actually uses a hidden bookmark to record your last position, so that's not working for the same reason the bookmarks aren't.

ipsi

状元
Are you sure (I mean, it's not like you wrote it or anything...)? Bookmarks work in IA beta, but it doesn't remember my last position.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well there could be a separate bug there, that whole part of the program is still a little rough-around-the-edges to say the least.

benzhen

进士
right now it only remembers the bookmarks while the same file is open. when you exit it doesn't remember.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Probably isn't matching the file correctly to its saved bookmarks - does the file have an unusually long name by any chance? Also, if the file size or modified date changes the reader discards all of the bookmarks associated with it (since the byte locations they point to may no longer be valid), so you can't bookmark a file that you're also editing.

benzhen

进士
no it doesn't have a long name. basically it remembers the bookmarks as long as i don't exit the pleco program but as soon as i exit (or it crashes as most usually happens) it doesn't remember them. it has never remembered the location however. thanks for your help.

ben