Reader resetting back to top of big file...

benzhen

进士
I've had this problem since the beginning of the Android betas. Basically, it seems to happen somewhat randomly but under consistent circumstances: when I switch off the device with the reader running, when I switch back on the device there is a more than 50% chance that the file has reset it's position to the beginning of the file. This has happened on multiple devices and roms. I read lots of long books and this is a real headache. Anyone else having this issue?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I've had this problem since the beginning of the Android betas. Basically, it seems to happen somewhat randomly but under consistent circumstances: when I switch off the device with the reader running, when I switch back on the device there is a more than 50% chance that the file has reset it's position to the beginning of the file. This has happened on multiple devices and roms. I read lots of long books and this is a real headache. Anyone else having this issue?

This was pretty rigorously fixed a few updates ago, or at least we thought it was - are you on 2.4.9 or an earlier version?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I am on 2.4.9. With an ATT SGS 2 with 4.22 AOKP rom.

By any chance might this relate to your device being rotated while it's switched off? Does the problem go away if you lock its orientation? Also, are you using a third-party launcher / lock screen?

benzhen

进士
By any chance might this relate to your device being rotated while it's switched off? Does the problem go away if you lock its orientation?

I think this is it. I reproduced the problem several times while rotating the device while it was off and was not able to while the orientation was locked. I have Nova launcher and stock lock screen. Yet I think the AOKP lock screen is modded in an of itself.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I think this is it. I reproduced the problem several times while rotating the device while it was off and was not able to while the orientation was locked. I have Nova launcher and stock lock screen. Yet I think the AOKP lock screen is modded in an of itself.

I just tested with Nova Launcher on a similar device with 4.2.2 here and didn't see the problem, so it probably does have to do with AOKP. Though it might apply with other custom lock screens too, just not the stock one. Anyway it seems like at some point in the near future we're going to do a run-through of a bunch of custom ROMs to suss out various little bugs like this, but in the meantime my suggestion would be that you either lock your device's orientation or install an alternate lock screen.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
FWIW, we think we've managed to fix this now - we did need to install AOKP but it showed right up after that. So it should be corrected in our next bug-fix update.