Reformatted Android CC-CEDICT Posted

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Get it from the "Updates" tab in Add-ons - let us know what you think of the new layout (we're using more newlines now, as in PLC/ABC) and whether you run into any problems with it. (we'll push this out on iOS soon too, but since we have several orders of magnitude fewer users on Android at the moment, we're still using you guys as guinea pigs :) )

Quick impression:

The "Installed" tab shows items (duh!). However, it doesn't show when it was downloaded, nor a version number, etc. Tapping an item shows a more detailed description, but still no installation information. Perhaps at least detailed information could have the download date and version number/creation date?

I'm on a 10.1" tablet (ASUS), so I'd just as soon see it all on the main "installed" screen, but I realize that's a small part of the current user base.

Yiliya

榜眼
CC-CEDICT is getting updated everyday. It's a very useful resource, because it has tons of modern vocabulary and slang. How often are you going to be providing new versions?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
The "Installed" tab shows items (duh!). However, it doesn't show when it was downloaded, nor a version number, etc. Tapping an item shows a more detailed description, but still no installation information. Perhaps at least detailed information could have the download date and version number/creation date?

I'm on a 10.1" tablet (ASUS), so I'd just as soon see it all on the main "installed" screen, but I realize that's a small part of the current user base.

Good point - version number tracking uses a weird internal system that wouldn't be good to make user-visible, but we can certainly show dates at least. We'll eventually be adding automated update checking but we didn't make it a priority for this first release.

Yiliya said:
CC-CEDICT is getting updated everyday. It's a very useful resource, because it has tons of modern vocabulary and slang. How often are you going to be providing new versions?

About every 1-2 months. Honestly, even though the process is largely automated I'd be hesitant to release updates more often than once a month because of bandwidth concerns - it costs us about $2.50 every time 1000 people download CC-CEDICT, so while that wouldn't be an issue at all for a paid dictionary, for a free one with the number of regular updaters potentially running well into six figures that starts to turn into some serious money. But perhaps we could charge some nominal subscription fee (and I mean really nominal, like $1/year) for access to weekly updates.

The updates are always manual at this point, right? Are there plans to either pop up a notice on my tablet (when I run Pleco), send an email, or do automatic updates?

Personally, although I do automatic updates for other products, I don't want to do them for Pleco dictionaries, because of the file sizes involved. However, a notice of updates available (email slightly preferred) would be great.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges said:
The updates are always manual at this point, right? Are there plans to either pop up a notice on my tablet (when I run Pleco), send an email, or do automatic updates?

Personally, although I do automatic updates for other products, I don't want to do them for Pleco dictionaries, because of the file sizes involved. However, a notice of updates available (email slightly preferred) would be great.

They're only manual for now, but we'd been thinking of some kind of popup on startup - email announcements of file updates are kind of unusual, and in general we don't want to send out too much automated email for fear of getting an increasing number of our legitimate / non-automated messages filtered out as spam.

If a popup, then hopefully check for update interval will be configurable. Actually, I'd like to see it on the "updates" tab and downloadable from there when the time comes.

Thanks

mikelove said:
stephanhodges said:

Good point - version number tracking uses a weird internal system that wouldn't be good to make user-visible, but we can certainly show dates at least. We'll eventually be adding automated update checking but we didn't make it a priority for this first release.

Yiliya said:

About every 1-2 months. Honestly, even though the process is largely automated I'd be hesitant to release updates more often than once a month because of bandwidth concerns - it costs us about $2.50 every time 1000 people download CC-CEDICT, so while that wouldn't be an issue at all for a paid dictionary, for a free one with the number of regular updaters potentially running well into six figures that starts to turn into some serious money. But perhaps we could charge some nominal subscription fee (and I mean really nominal, like $1/year) for access to weekly updates.

I know this is an Android topic, but not to open another thread on this, I'd like to borrow this thread if you don't mind. Concerning the CC-CEDICT updates, I'd be more than willing to pay $1/year to have my CEDICT on iOS updated on a weekly basis... Would such thing be possible? Currently it's been over 2 months since it was last updated.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
goldyn chyld said:
I know this is an Android topic, but not to open another thread on this, I'd like to borrow this thread if you don't mind. Concerning the CC-CEDICT updates, I'd be more than willing to pay $1/year to have my CEDICT on iOS updated on a weekly basis... Would such thing be possible? Currently it's been over 2 months since it was last updated.

Eek, I didn't realize it had been that long - we'll make sure to post another one this weekend. More generally, it is possible but since it involves a good bit of coding it has to stand in line behind a bunch of other features at the moment.

Is there a direct link to download it?

It's the only free dictionary NOT listed on the Android downloads page. And, the only place I found a download, it was dated 2010 (for Palm?)

The download failed on my Android, and I want to try using a more reliable download manager, that can restart, etc.

Also, Pleco now says that there are no updates, even though it didn't download it (as far as I can tell).

Daan

秀才
I like that it's now possible to update CC-CEDICT. Will you also be pushing out updates for the PLC dictionary every now and then? Sometimes I find little mistakes in that dictionary, for example Qīngcáng gāoyuán under gāoyuán, which should be Qīngzàng gāoyuán (as the definition attests). I'm not sure if there's somewhere we can report these? For CC-CEDICT, I'd imagine you would prefer us to send them straight to the editors, and then you'll eventually fetch them from the official stream at some time. But how about PLC? Can it be updated at all? :)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Daan said:
I like that it's now possible to update CC-CEDICT. Will you also be pushing out updates for the PLC dictionary every now and then? Sometimes I find little mistakes in that dictionary, for example Qīngcáng gāoyuán under gāoyuán, which should be Qīngzàng gāoyuán (as the definition attests). I'm not sure if there's somewhere we can report these? For CC-CEDICT, I'd imagine you would prefer us to send them straight to the editors, and then you'll eventually fetch them from the official stream at some time. But how about PLC? Can it be updated at all? :)

Yes, it can be updated and indeed is - it's technically a licensed dictionary, but our rights to it our very extensive - we've got it forever and we can modify it however we want (and retain the rights in those modifications). We usually try to do so once or twice a year, last update was last summer when we added about 1200 new words and fixed a thousand or so reported bugs. We welcome feedback on it - and receive quite a bit - so I'll add that bug you just mentioned to our list and we'll get that fixed in the next round. We've actually hired someone to go through and fix a lot of the outdated example sentences, so the next update will probably come after he's completed that run-through (I believe he's somewhere around 'k' at the moment), though we may release an interim update before then.

Daan

秀才
Thanks! Is there any particular way you would want to receive such reports in the future? By e-mail?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
New version of CC-CEDICT just posted on Android - get in the "Updates" tab. (keeping up with monthly updates pretty well so far) It'll be available on iOS in conjunction with the 2.2.11 update which should be out in a couple of hours.