Restoring flashcard history after crash?

Giraffe

举人
I had a little hiccup with my phone on Friday evening. Apparently something on the OS level got corrupted and it wouldn't fully boot which meant about 12 hours of extreme hair pulling and teeth gnashing before I got the OS reinstalled. In the process I think I've wiped everything on the internal card but the external card seems more or less intact.

The biggest problem at the end of all this is that my daily flashcard test isn't coming up the way it was before and I'm not sure if this is something that was lost in the crash or whether in reinstalling Pleco I haven't configured the flashcards the same way.

Here's the scoop. I have about 2600 active cards, of which 2100 are "learned" (ha!). Before the crash I'd normally get somewhere between 120 and 160 cards to review each day. After the crash, it's showing 1924 to review.

Is it possible the information is still there or do I have to start over from the beginning? :cry:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Giraffe said:
The biggest problem at the end of all this is that my daily flashcard test isn't coming up the way it was before and I'm not sure if this is something that was lost in the crash or whether in reinstalling Pleco I haven't configured the flashcards the same way.

The only flashcard configuration settings that are not stored in your flashcard database (i.e., the same place as your flashcards) are a) which profile you're currently using, and b) settings related to creating cards (duplicates, etc). So if your flashcards are intact then the configuration should be as well. Could you double-check that you haven't maybe ended up with a different profile selected than the one you were using before?

Giraffe said:
Here's the scoop. I have about 2600 active cards, of which 2100 are "learned" (ha!). Before the crash I'd normally get somewhere between 120 and 160 cards to review each day. After the crash, it's showing 1924 to review.

That definitely sounds like a profile selection problem - either that or your phone's clock was somehow set to a year in the future (or was a year in the past before).

Giraffe

举人
That's what I thought would happen but I've tried all the profiles and I still can't get back to where I was. The date is okay too.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Giraffe said:
That's what I thought would happen but I've tried all the profiles and I still can't get back to where I was. The date is okay too.

(sorry for the slow reply)

Well another possibility is that some portion of your database might have been deleted by the corrupted OS - a missing database page could wipe out some flashcard score records (thus resetting them to new/unlearned cards) without hurting anything else. Could you check and see if the card histories from the categories you were working on recently look correct? (last reviewed date / answer history are right, i.e.) And just in general, if you look for cards that were reviewed within the last 30 days, do you find a whole lot of results?

Do any of the profiles get you any closer to where you were? Are you using spaced repetition or some other system?