Scribble on ipad

seriin

I just updated the app to ver. 3.2.51 then the scribble function is not working. Could you fix it so I can write directly to the search bar rather than using handwriting recognizer. Thanks !

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We disabled that because it was interfering with the handwriting recognizer, but we have a new update submitted (but waiting for review) which allows scribble when Pleco is not in handwriting input mode.

seriin

Just tried it and it works but "scratch" shortcut to remove text seems not working. Anyway, thanks for the update !

Thank you for this. FYI -- My Pleco screen froze after I looked up a character this morning. I solved the problem by going into Apple Pencil (displayed on the left-hand side of the Settings screen)and disabling Scribble in my Ipad. I just did the update to iPadOS 14.0.1 this morning so that must be why.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... did you look up the character using scribble, or using our regular handwriting recognizer? Did you use a Pencil for this?

We've seen a bunch of crashes that appear to originate from a bug in Scribble itself attempting to make an impossible change to a text string (without any involvement of Pleco's code, as far as we can tell) and failing, so it might be something to do with that - hopefully will improve in 14.1 / 14.2.

No, I hadn't heard about Scribble before today. I am not using Pleco's handwriting recognizer. I do use a dumb pencil (with rubber tip) or my finger to look up characters on the IPad.

With Scribble turned off everything works fine so I am happy again. Entering Chinese by keyboard is so easy that I don't write characters very often so my writing-character-recall has faded a bit. Some of my Chinese friends have the same problem.