Share Flashcards & Keep Order?

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to share flashcard category lists between an iPad and an iPod Touch so that the order of words is maintained in the device the words are transferred to? Now when I transfer them from my iPad to the iPod all categories go through, but the order of words in categories is not the same as on the iPad.

Best,

Chris

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you exporting them as XML or text? In text files at least they should be ordered correctly - any sense of what order is being used instead? (the order in which they were created, say?)

mikelove said:
Are you exporting them as XML or text? In text files at least they should be ordered correctly - any sense of what order is being used instead? (the order in which they were created, say?)

Thanks for getting back to me. I export as XML, and yes, it seems they are put in the order they were created and not the final order set on my iPad. Is there a way to preserve the iPad order? I tried exporting the lists as texts in the various formats, but it does not seem to work (in fact, with the UTF-16LE and UTF-16BE there is an "unknown error" and it terminates the import. Is there any specific format which preservers the order when transferring?)

Best,

Chris

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
talimedicatus said:
Thanks for getting back to me. I export as XML, and yes, it seems they are put in the order they were created and not the final order set on my iPad. Is there a way to preserve the iPad order? I tried exporting the lists as texts in the various formats, but it does not seem to work (in fact, with the UTF-16LE and UTF-16BE there is an "unknown error" and it terminates the import. Is there any specific format which preservers the order when transferring?)

It looks like there's a bug in UTF-16 export, actually - surprised that nobody noticed it before, it was actually pretty bad; should be fixed in 2.2.4 anyway.

As far as preserving the order, if you export in text with the selection "cards in categories" and all of your categories selected, that should output a file containing a list of all of the uncategorized cards followed by a list of the cards in each category in category order - does the order seem to be correct in that case?

mikelove said:
talimedicatus said:

It looks like there's a bug in UTF-16 export, actually - surprised that nobody noticed it before, it was actually pretty bad; should be fixed in 2.2.4 anyway.

As far as preserving the order, if you export in text with the selection "cards in categories" and all of your categories selected, that should output a file containing a list of all of the uncategorized cards followed by a list of the cards in each category in category order - does the order seem to be correct in that case?

I'm glad I could help with the bug. As to my little problem, I still cannot seem to able to resolve it. I exported the cards in text file, selecting all categories in "cards in categories" option (I have no uncategorized cards), trying every single text encoding option (besides the buggy UTF-16's), I shared the word lists over wi-fi, then on my iPod imported them using the same text encoding as the one they were created in, but still I can only get the order they were created in.

Best,

Chris

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
talimedicatus said:
I'm glad I could help with the bug. As to my little problem, I still cannot seem to able to resolve it. I exported the cards in text file, selecting all categories in "cards in categories" option (I have no uncategorized cards), trying every single text encoding option (besides the buggy UTF-16's), I shared the word lists over wi-fi, then on my iPod imported them using the same text encoding as the one they were created in, but still I can only get the order they were created in.

Actually I'm now seeing some issues with this too - might be another bug here; not constantly reproducible, but if we dig through the code hopefully we can flush out something.

Anyway I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions for now, but this should hopefully all be resolved in 2.2.4 - thanks for bringing it to our attention.

mikelove said:
talimedicatus said:

Actually I'm now seeing some issues with this too - might be another bug here; not constantly reproducible, but if we dig through the code hopefully we can flush out something.

Anyway I'm afraid I don't have any other suggestions for now, but this should hopefully all be resolved in 2.2.4 - thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Hey, it's ok. It's not that big of a deal, though it would be useful to have the option. Keep up the good work!

Chris