slow down of hand writing recognition

meng

秀才
I just downloaded my full version of Pleco today and have been testing it out some.
I keep randomly encountering problems with the handwriting recognition.
It inadvertently wants to lag, and pretty badly sometimes.
I turned off wi-fi and came back in and it was quick as a whip.
Then in not too long it started to lag again.
I just exited the program and opened it again and it was quick again.
Any tips on how to get this to stop altogether?
Certainly makes cursive recognition impossible.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... you're not using the transparent background option, right? (you'd know if you were) Does it help matters if you turn off your iPhone/iPod completely (by holding down the power button) and turning it on again? The longer the system runs without being rebooted like that, the less free memory it has, so after a while it may start to slow down a lot of memory-intensive operations like Pleco's handwriting recognizer, particularly after Pleco has been running for a little while.

We've managed to speed up the handwriting recognizer stroke capture system considerably for the 2.1 update we're now beta-testing (not the minor bug-fix that'll go live any day now, but the next release after that) - it now uses nice fast OpenGL direct screen drawing, just like a 3D game - so regardless, the situation with this should get a lot better in a few weeks.

gato

状元
The current version of the "System Activity Monitor" app in the appstore allows you to shut down programs and free up memory.

But it seems that Apple has asked the developer to remove this function, and the next update will no longer have this feature.

http://appadvice.com/app/306192663
System Activity Monitor

http://www.recessionapps.com/System.html
Apple has demanded that we remove the feature to Free Memory from all our apps. We have updated the System Activity Monitor 1.2 app without the Free Memory feature.

The current version in the App Store still has the Free Memory feature. To keep the free memory feature, do NOT update to System Activity Monitor 1.2.