Sorting of C-E results

LantauMan

进士
I have searched every setting, and I wonder if there is any way to sort definition results in order of frequency of use. Very often I'll be in a dialogue with my tutor and use Pleco to look up an English word for which I'm unsure of the Chinese. If PLC, CC or ABC-C are my latest-used dictionary, I'll scan those initial results and try out a word. How many times has she broken out laughing and said "Such a word you'll only find in classical texts!" She'll tell me the commonly used word and I'll find it much farther down the list.

I then compared the results when using Hanping Pro. This app may be far less versatile than Pleco, but it seems to have one advantage: In Pleco's Chinese dictionaries (PLC, CC, etc.) the results sort alphabetically or by word length. But in Hanping, which is based on CC, the results tend to sort by frequency of use, meaning I get it right more often when in rapid dialogue with my tutor.

Using an easy example: look up "happy". Go to the CC dictionary in Pleco. The results sort down from bing, gaoxing, ge, and so on. Huanle, kuaile, xingfu, are all way farther down the list. In Hanping, the top results are gaoxing, kuaile, yukuai, xingfu...by far the most commonly used.

Is there a way I have not discovered to sort results in this way? Yes, I know that the E-C dictionaries, by their design, do this (I have ABC and NWP), but there are various reasons why it's prefereable to rely on the C-E dictionaries for fast lookups during conversation (the big, colorful Hanzi are much easier to scan in a hurry). The ability to sort results by frequency of use would be a plus.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LantauMan said:
Is there a way I have not discovered to sort results in this way? Yes, I know that the E-C dictionaries, by their design, do this (I have ABC and NWP), but there are various reasons why it's prefereable to rely on the C-E dictionaries for fast lookups during conversation (the big, colorful Hanzi are much easier to scan in a hurry). The ability to sort results by frequency of use would be a plus.

This is being fixed in 2.3.8.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
LantauMan said:
Such service! Cool!

Thanks! Been in the works for a while, actually - we almost held off on the Android release until it was done, but decided it could wait a few months. (in a way what we have now is an extended beta test of sorts - we're quite happy with its stability, but we're learning a lot from user feedback and hoping to have something more polished by the time our new dictionaries launch)