Syncing all settings between iPhone and iPad

Bob P

秀才
Hi all, I am a bit anal about having the exact same settings on my iPhone on my iPad, as it helps me use the tool as efficiently and quickly. I have been doing this manually so far, and I apparently tweak the settings / configure dictionaries / add add-ons a lot, because they are always out of sync.

Is there an automatic way to keep them in sync, or any suggestions on how to make manual configuration easier? Is settings backup/restore safe and recommended to use across devices? Does it sync add-on configuration as well?

Thanks!
Bob

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No - not something we currently support; in theory we could, but iCloud is less-than-entirely-reliable and to be honest there just isn't much demand for this. Backup/restore across devices should be fine but does not currently sync your add-on list.

Bob P

秀才
No - not something we currently support; in theory we could, but iCloud is less-than-entirely-reliable and to be honest there just isn't much demand for this. Backup/restore across devices should be fine but does not currently sync your add-on list.

Agreed it is not high priority and I would probably invest elsewhere, although this would be a nice to have. FWIW, though, it seems that iCloud has gotten quite reliable more recently -- see https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/09/26/stucki-text-replacements as an example. No worries if that hasn't been your experience. :)