The basics of creating and formatting vocab lists for import

米翰林

I've tried searching the forums, but can anybody point me to a basic how-to that lays out how to format vocab lists for import into flashcards?

I've got tons of vocab lists from past classes in Quizlet and in spreadsheets, but when I copy and paste them into a txt file and try to import to flashcards, nothing comes out right.

Almost all of my lists are in a simple, two-column table with the traditional character in one and then the pinyin and definition in the other. My goal is to create cards that have 1. traditional 2. simplified 3. pinyin 4. definition 5. some kind of field for notes, mnemonics, and example sentences. How exactly do I get there? Spaces, tabs, semi-colons? How do I identify the different fields?

What I'm trying to do seems so basic, but I just can't seem to get my hands on the actual guidelines to do it right!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The format for Pleco is:

characters<tab>pinyin<tab>definition

So arrange them like that and they should work correctly. However, we do not currently support automated simplified<>traditional conversions for cards with custom definitions, so there won't be any simplified characters on them unless you supply them in the original import file or skip the definitions.