Updated versions of CC-CEDICT / HanDeDict / Adso

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are available at:

http://www.pleco.com/beta/p2cedict-091202.zip - CC-CEDICT
http://www.pleco.com/beta/p2handedict-091202.zip - HanDeDict
http://www.pleco.com/beta/p2adso-091202.zip - Adso

(posting them here for a little while before we put them on the main site)

A few notes:

We've finally added support for CC-CEDICT's in-entry links, but they'll be a little buggy until 2.0.4 comes out, since 2.0.3 doesn't have support for encoding both the characters and Pinyin into a link (without which a link can't exactly specify a CC-CEDICT entry).

HanDeDict seems to have had fewer example sentences in its latest couple of months of releases, but I'm not sure why - perhaps someone who speaks German and checks in on the chinaboard.de forums occasionally can let me know if there's an explanation (say, if some examples were withdrawn by whoever supplied them). We withdrew an earlier HanDeDict update when people pointed out the examples had disappeared, but we thought now was the time to accept that and move on in order to get the last 10 months' worth of updates.

Adso has, unfortunately, stopped including unique entry IDs in their database, and there's no way for us to automatically generate them as we do in CC-CEDICT since there can be more than one entry with a given character / Pinyin combination. Hence, we've changed the dictionary ID code for Adso to be different from the old Adso version - if you have flashcards that link to that, we'd recommend installing the new database along with keeping the old one, remapping your flashcards from the old to new, then deleting the old. (or keeping it around)

Going forward, we've added a flag to the Adso database that will become active in 2.0.4 which tells Pleco to always store definitions from it in the flashcard database, rather than linking to the original dictionary entry. This means the definitions won't be synced with any updates they get from newer versions of Adso, but unfortunately there's no way around that unless they decide to start giving entries unique ID codes again.

Sorry for the very long delay between updates; Adso we don't really have any good excuse for (aside from that flashcard linking issue, which we should have dealt with in an earlier Pleco update), but CC-CEDICT took some work to figure out how to detect / clean up / encode those embedded links (which are a little buggy / inconsistently formatted), and HanDeDict we were waiting to make sure the example sentence withdrawal from a few months ago was real and not just a temporary bug.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oops, yeah, forgot about that - updated now (though you'll have to manually reload the page).

mikelove said:
HanDeDict seems to have had fewer example sentences in its latest couple of months of releases, but I'm not sure why - perhaps someone who speaks German and checks in on the chinaboard.de forums occasionally can let me know if there's an explanation (say, if some examples were withdrawn by whoever supplied them).

6th July 2009:
http://www.chinaboard.de/viewtopic.php?t=13449

This sticky states that ~30.000 dictionary entries have been removed for further investigation. These entries seemed to have close similarity to entries from another (commercial?) dictionary. All were created by one (very active) user, who admitted having copied these entries. As "HandDeDict" has the goal to build up a "free" dictionary, these violation of copyrights could not be tolerated and this user's entries have been deleted.

Not sure whether this is also related to the lack of example sentences but it might be an explanation.

offtopic:
Just transferred my Pleco version to iPod touch. Thanks for the fantastic app!
How come "普利科" cannot be found in any dictionary? Took me a few minutes before I started laughing at myself!

Kind regards

Kai

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Ah, that makes sense then. And a good thing we updated, we certainly wouldn't want to be using someone else's copyrighted content (however minor our own culpability might have been).

Good point on 普利科, actually; we're not empowered to add words to most of our dictionaries, but we have total editorial control over PLC so we can add it to that at least. And perhaps some neutral party will see fit to add it to CC-CEDICT at some point. Throw in our own Wikipedia entry and we'll really have "made it" :)

numble

状元
As an editor on CC-CEDICT, I just want to let you know that we take copyright seriously, and there are similar incidents where entries are removed for being identical to other copyrighted works.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks, I really appreciate that. (and the work you guys are doing in general - really some wonderful improvements over the last year)