upgrading to ICS

mikelove said:
...given what a UI trainwreck Android 4.0 is...

I hear that Ice Cream Sandwich will soon be available for Samsung's Galaxy Note and 7.7. I've tried ICS on my Galaxy S II, but I disliked it too quickly to try to get used to it, and that was a beta in any case. But are you suggesting we avoid upgrading to ICS on Notes and 7.7's (and perhaps others), unless we're ready to put up with a degraded user experience? I'm actually looking for reasons not to upgrade, but if it will eventually be necessary to keep my devices current, better to go through that labor sooner than later.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
JimmyTheSaint said:
I hear that Ice Cream Sandwich will soon be available for Samsung's Galaxy Note and 7.7. I've tried ICS on my Galaxy S II, but I disliked it too quickly to try to get used to it, and that was a beta in any case. But are you suggesting we avoid upgrading to ICS on Notes and 7.7's (and perhaps others), unless we're ready to put up with a degraded user experience? I'm actually looking for reasons not to upgrade, but if it will eventually be necessary to keep my devices current, better to go through that labor sooner than later.

It won't really affect the user experience in Pleco much, except that the new task-switching system means that you'll now be able to switch right back into what you were previously doing in Pleco. (previously impossible for us to support without also bringing you back there from the program icon and hence leaving you without an easy way to jump back to the main dictionary search screen for quick lookups)

My comment was more on ICS in general, which I consider (though many disagree with this) to be a major step backwards for Android UI-wise. However, given that Samsung at least seems to be trying very hard to cover up ICS and make its phones pretty much work the same way on 4.0 as they did on 2.3, a lot of the things that I consider problematic may be removed in Samsung-customized versions of it.