Upper limit on sentence like items?

weight

举人
I've taking the advice from the people over at antimoon and I've been using mostly sentences recently to learn. Sometimes it's just a sentence that I've take from a sample sentence in one of the pleco dictionaries, sometimes a phrase from the tube; but lately more often it's been dictionary entries from an online dictionary, usually with a couple or three sentences, pinyin for some words and then one or two more sentences in the definition section of pleco. so far I've added about 1500 such entries. Pleco seems to be holding up well. I have to say though, before, whereas - because of it movnig like molasses - I would have to reset my TX every week or two, now it seems like I'm doing it every one or two days. I realize some other programs out there would have been a better platform for this kind of adventure.... but nothing beats the functionarlity of pleco, so here I am. My goal by the way is to eventually add upwards of ten thousand of these sentences. My question is... Is there an upper limit for this kind of thing... and, as far as the capacity and performance of the user database, are there going to be any significant differences in 2.0.

Thanks for your time Mike.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No specific upper limit that we're aware of, but nonetheless since this wasn't a scenario we envisioned when designing the 1.0 user dictionary system I'd advise you to be careful with it - at the very least make sure to back up your flashcard / user dictionary files regularly, and save the last couple of backups in case any file corruption / other weirdness creeps in that you're not initially aware of.

2.0 makes enormous improvements to the user and flashcard database systems, as we've now switched to the very-widely-used open-source database engine SQLite - this can easily scale up to many many thousands of user dictionary entries with no significant penalty for the size of entries. And from our testing at least, searches appear to be almost as fast as those in the fixed / non-editable dictionaries. It also allows you to create flashcards with custom definitions that *aren't* part of the user dictionary, so if you want to limit the user dictionary strictly to words (so that you won't have sentences coming up in dictionary results accidentally) but create flashcards with these long sentences you can do that now too.