User Dictionary - custom field

MPenguin

秀才
Living in Taiwan, I often like to learn the Mandarin pronunciation of a word as well as the Taiwanese pronunciation.

To do this, I've been making custom dictionary entries and then adding "tai: xxxxx" to include the Taiwanese pronunciation, like this:
Pleco_usr_01.jpg

However, this doesn't exactly work. For one, the pinyin is a bit of a guess, given that Taiwanese doesn't conform to Hanyu pinyin. The dictionary doesn't recognize, for example, "biang1" as proper Hanyu, so it converts it to something different and adds tones to the "tai" like this:

Pleco_usr_02.jpg

Pleco_usr_03.jpg

It would be better if there were perhaps a Custom Field that users could use however they wished.

Or is there some other way around this that I'm not aware of?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
MPenguin - a few other people seem to do the same thing, actually, with Cantonese or other pronunciation systems or just various grammar-type tags. Anyway, this is certainly something we can add in a future release; for right now, if you're going to put that information anywhere I'd recommend putting it in the definition instead of the pronunciation field, that way it won't be screwed up by the Pinyin converter and won't cause problems when doing dictionary searches.

MPenguin

秀才
Hartville,

No, I'm not in Taipei. I get there very rarely,unfortunately, because I actually like it quite a bit. I'm in central Taiwan, so about 2-3 hours from Taipei. If you need help, I highly recommend posting on the forum here - plenty of people smarter than I am are here to help.

mikelove,

Thanks for the advice. I'll start using the definition field from now on.

senmu

Hi I have the same need to, I'd like to use the ABC Dictionary and add the Minnan pronunciation to the characters. Is there a better way to do that, than already described?

I'm hoping to use it for flashcards of my Minnan vocabulary. Has the hoped for 'new release' and capabilities mentioned occurred?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No better way yet - the architecture of the flashcard system didn't really change much in 2009 since we were so busy getting everything ported to iPhone - but now that that's finally done, this is high up on our to-do list for the next major update. (and is sufficiently light on UI that it should make it to WM even if sales for that continue to slow)