Various Textbook and Topic-Based Flashcard Lists

Wan

榜眼
EDIT (02/28/2014):

I’m still getting requests once in a while. For future readers: I don’t have this file anymore.

Hi folks!

I hope that's legal. But since I do own a valid account at the platform I extracted these flashcards from, and as they offer export functionality of lists in text format (in different languages), it should be fine. Thank Skritter for these lists. Included are various textbook and topic-based flashcards. For the sake of simplicity, I combined them all in one zip archive (sorry for that). I also had to remove characters from file names and replace them by pinyin where necessary, because zip sucks. You should find your file with the help of the list posted below. Also, Rapidshare may not be the best option to choose, but the 9MB file either is too large for this board, or zip files are not allowed in general. Get the file here: (redacted)

Enjoy!

The Zip file contains the following flashcard lists in text format, ready to be imported in Plecodict:

A New China
All Things Considered
Anything Goes
Boya Chinese
Boya Chinese - Fast-Track Intermediate II
Boya Chinese, The Learned Chinese, Elementary Start 2
Boya Chinese, The Learned Chinese, Low Intermediate 1
Cartoon Characters
Chemistry
China Scene
Chinese Breeze - After the Accident 出事以后
Chinese Breeze - Green Phoenix 青凤
Chinese Breeze - I Really Want to Find Her... 我一定要找到她……
Chinese Breeze - If I Didn’t Have You 如果没有你
Chinese Breeze - Left and Right - the Conjoined Brothers 向左向右
Chinese Breeze - Mother and Son 妈妈和儿子
Chinese Breeze - Secrets of a Computer Company 电脑公司的秘密
Chinese Breeze - Two Children Seeking the Joy Bridge 两个想上天的孩子
Chinese Breeze - Wrong, wrong, wrong! 错,错,错!
Chinese Characters (Hoenig)
Chinese Elementary Listening Course Part I (Vol. 1&2)
Chinese Elementary Listening Course Part II (Vol. 1&2)
Chinese Express - Talk Chinese 说汉语
Chinese Intermediate Listening Course 上册
Chinese Learn Online
Chinese Link - Intermediate Chinese, Level 2
Chinese Link 1 (中文天地 1)
Chinese Link 1 Characters (中文天地 1 Characters)
Chinese Made Easier, Vol. 1-5
Chinese Made Easy 1
Chinese Medical Characters
Chinese Odyssey, Vol 1 (with Supplements)
Chinese Odyssey, Vol 2 (with Supplements)
Chinese Primer Character Textbook
Chinese Primer Notes and Exercises
Chinese Stroke Names
Chinese Through Tone and Color
Classical Chinese - A Functional Approach
Classical Chinese Medical Texts Vol. I
Colloquial Chinese - The Complete Course for Beginners (2nd edition)
Colloquial Chinese (1st edition)
Common Clothing
Communicate in Chinese, Volume 1
Computer Terms
Contemporary Chinese 1, Character Book, 当代中文 1, 汉字本
Contemporary Chinese 2, Character Book, 当代中文 2, 汉字本
Conversational Chinese 301
David and Helen in China - An Intermediate Course in Modern Chinese
Discovering Chinese 1
Discussing Everything Chinese, Vol 1
Elementary Chinese Readers 1
Elementary Chinese Readers 2
Fundamental Written Chinese
Good News Primer 1
Good News Primer 2
Good News Primer 3
Great Wall Chinese
Hanyu for Beginning Students
Hanyu Jiaocheng 第三册 上
Hanyu Kouyu Advanced (Advanced Spoken Chinese)
Hanyu Kouyu Elementary Spoken Chinese Book 1
Hanyu Kouyu Elementary Spoken Chinese Book 2
Hanyu Kouyu Elementary Spoken Chinese Book 3 提高篇 (Extra)
Hanyu Kouyu Intermediate Spoken Chinese Book 1
Hanyu Kouyu Intermediate Spoken Chinese Book 2
Hanyu Kouyu Intermediate Spoken Chinese Book 3 提高篇 (Extra)
HSK 1 (new Hànyu Shuipíng Kaoshì)
HSK 1 (old Hànyu Shuipíng Kaoshì)
HSK 2 (new Hànyu Shuipíng Kaoshì)
HSK 2 (old Hànyu Shuipíng Kaoshì)
HSK 3 (new Hànyu Shuipíng Kaoshì)
HSK 3 (old Hànyu Shuipíng Kaoshì)
HSK 4 (new Hànyu Shuipíng Kaoshì)
HSK 4 (old Hànyu Shuipíng Kaoshì)
HSK 5 (new Hànyu Shuipíng Kaoshì)
HSK 6 (new Hànyu Shuipíng Kaoshì)
HSK Words in Heisig Order (Simplified)
HSK Words in Heisig Order (Traditional)
Huanying - An Invitation to Chinese 1
Integrated Chinese 1 (1st edition)
Integrated Chinese 1 (2nd edition)
Integrated Chinese 1 (3rd edition)
Integrated Chinese 2 (2nd edition)
Integrated Chinese 2 (3rd edition)
Kitchen
Learn Chinese With Me 1 跟我学汉语 1
Learn Chinese With Me 2 跟我学汉语 2
Learn Chinese With Me 3 跟我学汉语 3
Learn Chinese With Me 4 跟我学汉语 4
Learning Chinese Characters (Tuttle)
Mandarin in Steps - Book One
Mandarin in Steps - Book Two
Masterworks Chinese Companion
Meeting China - Elementary (走进中国 - 初级本)
New Practical Chinese Reader
Ni Hao (1st edition)
Ni Hao Level 1 (revised edition)
Ni Hao Level 2 (3rd edition)
Ni Hao Level 3 (3rd edition)
Ni Hao Level 4 (3rd edition)
Office
Oh, China! 中國啊,中国!
Passport to Chinese - 100 Most Commonly Used Chinese Characters
Practical Audio-Visual Chinese 1
Practical Audio-Visual Chinese 2
Practical Audio-Visual Chinese 3
Practical Audio-Visual Chinese 4
Practical Audio-Visual Chinese 5
Practical Chinese Reader
Programming
Provinces and Regions of China
Radicals
Rapid Literacy in Chinese
Reading and Writing Chinese (Simplified Character Edition)
Reading and Writing Chinese (Traditional Character Edition)
Remembering Simplified Hanzi 1
Remembering Traditional Hanzi 1
Road to Success - Lower Elementary (成功之路起步)
Road to Success - Threshold (成功之路入门)
Short-Term Chinese Reading - Elementary
Short-term Spoken Chinese 1 & 2 - Threshold
Short-term Spoken Chinese 3 - Elementary
Short-term Spoken Chinese 4 - Pre-intermediate
Short-term Spoken Chinese 5 - Intermediate
Short-term Spoken Chinese 6 - Advanced
Speaking Chinese About China, Volume 1, Revised Edition
Speed-up Chinese 1 (2004)
Speed-up Chinese 1 速成汉语基础教程 1)
Speed-up Chinese 2 (2004)
Speed-up Chinese 2 速成汉语基础教程 2)
Speed-up Chinese 3 (2004)
Speed-up Chinese 3 (速成汉语基础教程 3)
Speed-up Chinese 4 (速成汉语基础教程 4)
Speed-up Chinese 5 (速成汉语基础教程 5)
Speed-up Chinese 6 (速成汉语基础教程 6)
Speed-up Chinese 7 (速成汉语基础教程 7)
Speed-up Chinese 8 (速成汉语基础教程 8)
The Routledge Course in Modern Mandarin Chinese
Transportation
Yong Ho's Beginner's Chinese (1st ed.)
Yong Ho's Intermediate Chinese
Yong Ho's Intermediate Chinese (2nd ed.)
zzz1_中国当代文学读本 (zzz* added to keep the order intact)
zzz2_中国文化丛谈
zzz3_思想与社会
zzz4_汉语精读课本 - 一年级下册

Last edited:

Wan

榜眼
You're welcome!

Since I have no idea, how long the file will remain accessible on Rapidshare (is it stored there forever, or for a short period of time, or for a certain number of downloads? I have no idea), I'm looking for an alternative.
I also uploaded it to fileuploadx.de (redacted) and on megaupload.com (redacted).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, but I had to remove these links - they're of borderline legality, and anyway Skritter put a lot of work into them and we can't have people ripping them off.

Wan

榜眼
Okay, no problem: That's why I mentioned legality in the first place. Now we know there's a vast list of flashcard sets at Skritter, so go register, guys!

stephenrd

I just wanted to point out that you can log in and download these lists directly from skritter.com without an active subscription.

I was pasting sections of these lists into hanlexon.com to create some decent practice sheets. It worked out pretty well.

ckatt

状元
Ah, its a shame you had to take these down. I would like to point out that it is perfectly legal to have these lists posted here. No one can copyright a list of words and so long as these flash card lists only had the dictionary definitions and no text actually copied from the books, then nothing has been stolen. Though if they had it would likely fall under fair use so there should be no problem. In any event scritter is just doing the same thing, i don't know if they obtained permission from all the text book publishers to use the lists but as far as copy right law goes they don't need to. Such word lists only add value to the texts as anyone who would want them likely has purchased the text book. That said, many companies believe that they are entitled to more rights than they actually have and if they are legal bullies their lawyers might come after you just to keep them selves busy. I'd like to think that scritter is not this type of company.

Wan

榜眼
Just want to point out I still have the file and could put it back online, but will not do so unless Mike OKs this. By now, some of the lists may also be outdated due to new editions.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:
Ah, its a shame you had to take these down. I would like to point out that it is perfectly legal to have these lists posted here. No one can copyright a list of words and so long as these flash card lists only had the dictionary definitions and no text actually copied from the books, then nothing has been stolen. Though if they had it would likely fall under fair use so there should be no problem. In any event scritter is just doing the same thing, i don't know if they obtained permission from all the text book publishers to use the lists but as far as copy right law goes they don't need to. Such word lists only add value to the texts as anyone who would want them likely has purchased the text book. That said, many companies believe that they are entitled to more rights than they actually have and if they are legal bullies their lawyers might come after you just to keep them selves busy. I'd like to think that scritter is not this type of company.

They're not that type of company, but when this post up I wrote them to see if they had a problem with it and when they indicated that they did I took it down. We have a good relationship with them, and fair use or no, those lists took a lot of labor to compile, so I wouldn't want to use them without their blessing, particularly not as their business model ties the continuing ability to add new words from those lists to people paying their subscription fees.

However, people who have paid for Skritter can get access to these lists through them pretty easily, and it should get easier still in the not-too-distant future.

ckatt

状元
mikelove said:
They're not that type of company, but when this post up I wrote them to see if they had a problem with it and when they indicated that they did I took it down. We have a good relationship with them, and fair use or no, those lists took a lot of labor to compile, so I wouldn't want to use them without their blessing, particularly not as their business model ties the continuing ability to add new words from those lists to people paying their subscription fees.

However, people who have paid for Skritter can get access to these lists through them pretty easily, and it should get easier still in the not-too-distant future.

How can we get these lists back up then? Must we recompile them again from the original text books? And if we do this work would the result be distinguishable from the one we already have? It would take awhile but with the help of OCR the lists could still be remade relatively quickly, maybe in a few days. Still getting a hold of all these text books would be bit of an effort, but I think the bookstore here in Guangzhou sells most of them for around 30 元a piece, though no one there would stop me if I wanted to sit in the store all day while I scan them. Still, one could just log onto skritter and use the ocr on their screen... It seems like the only mistake made was saying the lists came through Skritter. Had Skritter not been mentioned no one could complain, which would be a shame for them since, however small, it’s still free advertizing. I think you did the right thing Mike, taking the lists down at their request, but I think skritter has taken the wrong position on this and that's a shame. skritter sells a service which enriches content provided by others, so for them to claim any owner ship here, on this content, is just false.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ckatt said:
It seems like the only mistake made was saying the lists came through Skritter.

No, I don't think we could have left them up without a clear idea where they came from - just too much data.

ckatt said:
Had Skritter not been mentioned no one could complain, which would be a shame for them since, however small, it’s still free advertizing. I think you did the right thing Mike, taking the lists down at their request, but I think skritter has taken the wrong position on this and that's a shame. skritter sells a service which enriches content provided by others, so for them to claim any owner ship here, on this content, is just false.

Well they're very nice guys - if you think they ought to review their position and consider making their lists freely available for use in other apps / services then I'm sure they'd give you a fair hearing. (skritter.com/contact or skritter.com/forum)

alex_hk90

状元
ckatt said:
How can we get these lists back up then? Must we recompile them again from the original text books? And if we do this work would the result be distinguishable from the one we already have? It would take awhile but with the help of OCR the lists could still be remade relatively quickly, maybe in a few days. Still getting a hold of all these text books would be bit of an effort, but I think the bookstore here in Guangzhou sells most of them for around 30 元a piece, though no one there would stop me if I wanted to sit in the store all day while I scan them. Still, one could just log onto skritter and use the ocr on their screen... It seems like the only mistake made was saying the lists came through Skritter. Had Skritter not been mentioned no one could complain, which would be a shame for them since, however small, it’s still free advertizing. I think you did the right thing Mike, taking the lists down at their request, but I think skritter has taken the wrong position on this and that's a shame. skritter sells a service which enriches content provided by others, so for them to claim any owner ship here, on this content, is just false.
Just in case you haven't noticed already, a few of those lists are available in other threads on this forum - I've been using the New HSK and Practical Audio Visual Chinese ones myself. :)