Viewing USR dictionary entries in character components

I'm following Heisig's Remembering Simplified Hanzi and find it's making a huge difference. I'd like to be able to see the user entries I'm entering for character components. So for example, the character 斯 is made of 其 + 斤. What I'd like to be able to view after tapping "CHARS" is the user entries I have entered. Is this possible? Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 713
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 689
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 717

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not possible at the moment - they all get drawn from UNI - though we could certainly consider adding an option to pull data from other dictionaries in the future if we get a lot of requests.

Peter

榜眼
I am also using Heisig's Remembering Simplified Hanzi and second this idea.

To help with my studying, I have created a user dictionary containing Heisig mnemonics, and flashcards to display RTH1 and RTH2 badges on the definition screen.

One limitation of this approach is that entries have to be repeated for all the different spoken variants. e.g.

着[著] zhao1 #536 -ing (RTH1.20)
着[著] zhao2 #536 -ing (RTH1.20)
着[著] zhe5 #536 -ing (RTH1.20)
着[著] zhuo2 #536 -ing (RTH1.20)

The ability to have 'character only' dictionary/flashcard entries would avoid this duplication. Displaying this (and the badges) on the CHAR page would be a bonus.

[And BTW, if there ever was an option to get the complete Heisig content inside Pleco, yeah i would pay for that!]

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Makes sense, yes. User character reference entries are an interesting possibility - wouldn't be too hard, just a user dictionary entry that was explicitly designated as applying to all instances of a character so it would be merged with each of them (like UNI) instead of just one.

We wrote to the Heisig folks and they unfortunately seem to want to limit their data to their own apps, though we are working on some other interesting mnemonic / etymological possibilities.

DavidMars

进士
I thought I was following the status of Heisig's Remembering Simplified Hanzi fairly well, but just found out yesterday that Book 1 & Book 2 are available as a single book on iTunes (no Kindle or other formats due to custom font issues). It is about $28 (iTunes won't show me the price now that I have bought it), and has very useful hyperlinks, sync notes/bookmarks between different devices, etc. to take advantage of the ebook format.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/book/remembering-simplified-hanzi-books-1-and-2/id1082909811?mt=11

I’ve bought the book and now have it on my iPad for home study and my iPhone for ‘away’ study. And on my 27” iMac in case my iOS devices have dead batteries. :)

I have an older iPad Air 2 which doesn’t support full Split Screen. It does let me float Pleco on top of iBooks so I can ‘slide’ Pleco to the right and entirely off the screen, and then ’slide' Pleco back to try writing each new word in the Pleco dictionary, all in a very time-efficient manner. Full Split Screen support would be even better as I think it would put both apps on one-half of the screen, each fully active.

I have never found much use for the iOS Split/Slide screen, perhaps because my older iPad doesn't fully support the features, but this is a great use of it. Screenshot below.

Slide Over Pleco:RSH Screenshot.jpeg