Yuandao N6 (原道)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Certainly not until we have our Android version ready, but it's murky whether it'll work even then - we're going to have a very limited list of officially supported hardware, and the odds of compatibility issues on a device like this are quite high.

But even if it does work, any tablet-specific optimizations we do are almost certainly going to require Android 3.0, so unless this is upgradable to that you'd probably have a much better Pleco experience on a newer Android tablet.

daodeyao

秀才
Thanks Mike,

Any recommendations? An ereader that has wifi. (Ipad is too big). I would like to be able to use your software when you make it available.

Dave

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daodeyao said:
Any recommendations? An ereader that has wifi. (Ipad is too big). I would like to be able to use your software when you make it available.

Won't know about that until it's available - Android hardware compatibility is such a tricky business that we're going to strongly discourage people from running Pleco on anything other than a small list of devices we'll actually test regularly with.

daodeyao

秀才
Thanks Mike,

I'm sure you know that the ereader market is growing fast and your Pleco software is everyone's most desired app. The ipad is too large and cumbersome to be conveniently used as an ereader but I realize it is very popular so I imagine you will provide your app for it. I don't know why Nook and Kindle are not Chinese friendly.
Anyway, I hope you will be able to make your app available for windows and android systems. Money to be made! Haha.
Please let me know when your app is available to use and for which ereader.

Yours,

David

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daodeyao said:
I'm sure you know that the ereader market is growing fast and your Pleco software is everyone's most desired app. The ipad is too large and cumbersome to be conveniently used as an ereader but I realize it is very popular so I imagine you will provide your app for it. I don't know why Nook and Kindle are not Chinese friendly.

We already do have an iPad version, yes. I'm not a big fan of ereader-sized tablets, to be honest - I like my Kindle for its weight, battery life, and lack of backlighting but I don't really find its actual screen size any more reading-friendly than that on my iPhone; you're not really getting a satisfying full page in either case. But if devices like that prove popular once the iPad 2 and Android-3.0-based tablets appear then we certainly might add one or two e-readers to our approved devices list...