0.82 version... it just keeps on getting better

nubix

thank you for the latest update. Even though I cannot use the flashcards in PlecoDict, I rarely use the original OXFORD version now: everything is just so much better in PlecoDict. And it is great to see penpower and cjkos input from within PlecoDict and from external apps working as well.

MeiXi

Very happy with new version...

I have had PlecoDict (with all dictonaries) for several weeks (running on a Palm Zire 31 with a memory card), and I just downloaded the new version. Wanted to let you guys know that I really appreciate the upgrades (though I am looking forward to being able to choose the buttons myself to get rid of several ones I find useless, like cut, copy, and paste).

One feature that I know you are working on that I am really looking forward to is the ability to paste pinyin from the ABC entries into the entry field. This is really driving me crazy because their references to other entries use pinyin instead of characters, so they are nearly useless to me right now. Thanks again!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've already got the code for customizable buttons working, actually; the only reason we haven't put it in yet is that there aren't any other buttons working besides the ones that are currently shown. We replaced the flashcard buttons in the last version with cut/copy/paste in this one because the "disabled in preview version" error message was confusing a lot of people.

And as far as that copy-and-paste ability, that actually will work if you're using CJKOS/ChOS/etc and enable the "Input field compatibility mode" - it's not perfect, but it does at least convert the tone marks into tone numbers so that the dictionary will search for the word correctly. The reason we haven't yet enabled it with "Input field compatibility" disabled is because we haven't added support for homonym numbers yet and because we're working on revamping the "see also" texts - if we have time we'll probably try to switch them over to using characters instead of pinyin, but at the very least we'd like to make them hyperlinks or something like that. (much of the code to enable this is already in place, it's just a matter of going through the dictionary text and tagging it appropriately)

And nubix, you're very welcome - after all the effort we've put into this, it's very reassuring to hear that even at this stage the imrovements over Oxford E&C are that significant.

Jim

榜眼
add my name to list of very happy customers

Plecodict is great now that the most important features are working.

I am using a phone/pda combination. Sometimes I am using Plecodict to study and sometimes to look up words on the run. With the Plecodict handwriting input I can practice writing characters and with the grafitti area can quickly scribble in words during meetings or out on the street. Looking up Chinese words in SMSs with instant access is very useful.

With converged products improving all the time I believe they will ultimately take a large share in both markets which should increase Plecodict's market substantially. Plecodict is already well designed to take advantage of this.

All the hard work and attention to customers' real world needs is appreciated.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! I'm actually surprised to hear that Instant Access works with SMS - I thought that the SMS application on most Palm OS smartphones used a non-standard system for displaying text that wouldn't work well with Instant Access in its current form.

Jim

榜眼
smart phones

I am using the Capitel G99 which is the mainland version of the GSL G18. I believe it uses CJKOS for all Chinese display. At any rate, it is virtually seamless between phone and pda. Address book, messages, memos, to do list, all work well with Chinese and Plecodict. GSL did PDAs first and moved into phones after so their experience and focus is on the PDA side.

I can't wait for the M28 to come out or the Qool PDA-700 as they have the SD card slot built in. Mine has an adapter that plugs in the bottom. Other than that I really cannot complain as even though it has Palm OS 4 it is not too slow and all the features work.

With Plecodict it is such a handy tool and being a single unit not a nuisance to carry. With separate units I would likely forget Chinese I had written in the phone and have to pull out a PDA, open Plecodict and input the characters. Now I just highlight the characters no matter what application they are in and instant access Plecodict.

I always have my phone with me but wouldn't always carry a PDA so I end up looking up a lot of words I wouldn't otherwise which really helps my Chinese. Looking up words as you come across them in daily life is a lot more effective than looking up lesson vocabulary.

Sorry, this is a bit long when I know you are at your busiest but I know you like to understand just how your customers are using your product .

Plecodict is truly one of the most appreciated items I have owned. I could live without a lot of things I have now but would feel very deprived if I had to go back to a book based dictionary.

Thank you.

rapoto

探花
In the new release 0.82, when hitting on a character, it is being magnified, but I can only see the upper left quarter of the character in the magnifying field.

I use a Treo 600.

--rapoto

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you sure you installed the correct magnified font file? In the case of the Treo 600 it would be the "Large High-resolution Font" (or size 24 for a manual install), NOT the "Magnified" (size 48 ) font which is only for high-resolution devices. If you installed that larger font then it might be trying to draw with that instead of the properly-sized one, which would give you that corner effect - in that case you'd want to go in and delete that file in order to make magnification work correctly.

And Jim, you're very welcome - I'm glad to hear that it's working so well on your phone, we're well aware of the fact that in a few years hardly anyone is going to be carrying around a standalone PDA anymore so it's important that we work well with built-in smartphone software.

A

Anonymous

Thanx Mike,

I used the automated install - and yes, it had installed the 48 font. I erased that one and it works now.

A question for the automated look-up from SMS or other apps... how does that work? How do I set it up? I am really interested in that and would like to us it...

--rapoto

rapoto

探花
Mike,

thank you - i got the registration code of the Oxford Dict now. And it worked.

However, in the Oxford Dict, the Chinese characters in the preview-pane (right side) all appear as two '??'.... any help for that?

Thanx,
--Rapoto

rapoto

探花
In the newest realease of the PLECO Dict, the fonts are greatly imporved.

However, the lower ligatures - especially in 'q' and 'g' cannot be differentiated. So a 'q' looks the same as a 'g'...

Thanx,

--Rapoto

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The Instant Access feature is documented at http://www.pleco.com/dictmanual.html#instaccess - it doesn't work correctly in some apps yet but we're working on a fix for that (using an automated copy/paste).

If you scroll down you should be able to get past the ??'s - those are characters that are missing in our current font files but will be present in the final version. The ligature problem will also be fixed in our revised font files - our font converter program had a bug where it was misreading the height of the font.