Chinese Language on Windows Mobile 6

Unless I am mixed up, the last time I ran ZT4A the keyboard was really small and you need to use a stylus to hit the keys, right?

I am looking for something a little easier to use with just fingers, mainly for reply to SMS and also looks quick to switch between english and pinyin by finger gesture.

This cootek looks just like the Touch Diamond keyboard and seems to support finger swiping to change modes. Tomorrow I will get it a whirl and report back.

ldolse

状元
ZTA4 has several modes. One of them gives you T9 input which is extremely easy for typing with a thumb or finger. I use it one handed all the time that way.

ipsi

状元
Do the above methods work with a physical keyboard, such as the one on the Treo or Touch Pro? Do they require switching the SIP by tapping on the keyboard icon between the left and right softkeys?

The reason I have CE-Star installed is that it's got a nifty feature where I can hit opt+space to toggle it, without having to take my hands off the keyboard. It was pretty annoying having to tap on the screen, then select the SIP I wanted to turn it on/off.

ldolse

状元
ZTA4 has several IMEs. The one I use doesn't support the hardware keyboard, but there is another on their site that does. I tried that one and at the time my phone didn't have the right key to enable/disable the hardware keyboard SIP. They've steadily updated their software though, so things might stand differently today.

I personally find I can type faster with ZTA4, even with the T9 Pinyin input. It remembers the words you type commonly, and as you type combos it remembers them, and you can type just the first characters of each component, so instead of typing 'shanghai' you can just type 'sh' and it will bring up all the two character pinyin combos in it's dictionary and that you've entered, ordered by frequency.

longngo

My SE Xperia experience is that PC based registry editors don't work (either on Vista or XP). Downloaded SmartReg 3.5 and it worked liked a treat. Also FontLink (& subdirectories) did not previously exist so you have to create it.

But I'm now able to read my sms and it's a huge relief.

Hey, so Cootek Touchpal seems quite good. The pinyin works very similar to CJKOS on the palm without the extra phrase input, but sort of like the Diamond sof-tkeyboard. I haven't done more than a few simple SMS's, but I like it so far. If they add Japanese/Romanji entry, then I am completely sold.

I probably haven't given ZT4A a fair shake, I do now remember the reason I had some instability after installing it on the first of the touch diamond ROMs. so after a while I switched to CE-star, which was even worse. But this seems good so far. If anyone who knows ZT4A well and wants to compare to TouchPal i'd love to know if I am still missing out.

I like that people are developing their own languages for it.

I do wish HTC would ship multilingual systems. I had thought I things would be better on unicode built windows than the old Palm hacks in this regard. The font rendering is galaxies ahead in Winmobile, but takes so much fiddling to get going. The iPone just kills them all.

longngo

For Windows Mobile PDAs with keyboards - I've got the SE Xperia (UK version) and tried ZTA4 & Cootek but can't get the keyboard working with the pinyin entry. Having to type of the screen defeats the purpose of getting a PDA with a keyboard. Until someone can suggest anything I'm sticking with CE-Star. Sure it's buggy but the bugs are more annoying than unsolvable (ie pinyin input persists even if you choose another keyboard but just explicitly push the toggle on/off button on the CE-Star keyboard itself to disable) and bad at guessing characters but it's better than nothing.

LarsMoire

:(

Cant just somebody who has some knowledge about this write an easy manual?
Im getting totally lost and confused when i see all those "IME" and whatever stuff.

THANK U soo MUCH! !

Palmtreo

hi, I'm also strugguling to get my palm treo pro to be able to display and input simplified chinese with the instructions I've found. Does anyone know where you can obtain a file that would automatically update the registry? I've got the font that comes with the plecodict software and just want to get the font linking to work...

ipsi

状元
Have a look at the link I posted a while ago in this thread. You'll need to make sure you've got all your files in the right places, but it's not terribly hard. I managed to get it working for display. Then found that ZTA4 didn't seem to work (Possibly no 320x320 skin?), so I installed CE-Star and that works flawlessly. Does cost though :(

ipsi

状元
That's a little strange.

Here's a link to the FAQ where this is explicitly mentioned: http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/index.php?id=5&lang=en

The appropriate bit is:

• Q: While I trying to edit keys or values in registry, the application shows "Access denied".
  • A: The opperating system of PDA, bloks any writes to registry. To disable blocade, please use the tool embedded into CeRegEditor, Tools-> Unlock registry.

EDIT: If you've tried that, I have no idea, sorry. :(

EDIT: I used Resco Registry Editor, and had no problems. Seems to work fine for looking up and changing keys without needing to buy it.

Palmtreo

okay, thanks guys, I managed to get it working in most of the programs - my outlook email being the stubborn application refusing to show Chinese characters...

mfcb

状元
longngo said:
For Windows Mobile PDAs with keyboards - I've got the SE Xperia (UK version) and tried ZTA4 & Cootek but can't get the keyboard working with the pinyin entry. Having to type of the screen defeats the purpose of getting a PDA with a keyboard. Until someone can suggest anything I'm sticking with CE-Star. Sure it's buggy but the bugs are more annoying than unsolvable (ie pinyin input persists even if you choose another keyboard but just explicitly push the toggle on/off button on the CE-Star keyboard itself to disable) and bad at guessing characters but it's better than nothing.

had the same problems with ZTA4 and Cootek, additionally i dont like the CE-Star, fortunately i found plumsip, which is free, is as good as ZTA4 (if not even better) and WORKS with the physical keyboard on my HTC Touch pro... PlumSip download its in chinese, but i guess that should not be a mayor problem for a pleco user :wink:

alexxx

秀才
For CE Star cause some problems on my iPaq 114 and I didn't want to edit the registry I looked for an alternate free and easy method to read Chinese fonts overall on the system and I found the following page:
http://www.trendsmobile.com/main/showse ... rentID=255

It is freeware and works great under Windows Mobile 6. Just needs to install 2 cab files. Hope it is useful for somebody.

Daniel

I don't know if this is related to having it installed under winmobile v.6 instead of v.5, but the result of this was that I now have another keyboard option installed (A4), but no still no chinese fonts.
During the install I was asked some questions - dont' know which, since, being in chinese, they were just boxes - to which I always answered "yes", anyway (hopefully none was "have I to reformat your phone?")

do you have some additional help on this installation?

Alessandro

alexxx

秀才
mfcb said:
had the same problems with ZTA4 and Cootek, additionally i dont like the CE-Star, fortunately i found plumsip, which is free, is as good as ZTA4 (if not even better) and WORKS with the physical keyboard on my HTC Touch pro... PlumSip download its in chinese, but i guess that should not be a mayor problem for a pleco user :wink:

well, for <this> pleco user the problem exists, I'm still a beginner!
Can you direct me a little bit? I have VGA device, and I'm not interested in input, I just need the chinese fonts available system wide. I think the link is http://www.dayhand.com/temp/PlumSIP6VGABeta2.rar , or is it http://www.dayhand.com/temp/PlumSIPPro6VGABeta2.rar ?

thanks for your help

alessandro

mfcb

状元
alexxx said:
Can you direct me a little bit? I have VGA device, and I'm not interested in input, I just need the chinese fonts available system wide.

just refer to idolse's post on page 1 of this thread, it's not easy to describe it better than he did :wink:

although sooner or later you will find it necessary to input chinese characters in any way, and you will need to install some IME as well. but if you dont have a device with a hardware keyboard, you might be happy with the ZTA4, and there are some english instructions how to install it...

i have ZTA4 on my (now retired) Axim X51, on my nokia 6120c and was quite happy with it, until i got my new HTC touch pro, with physical keyboard. only for this reason i searched almost 3 weeks for an alternative until i found plumsip (actually i found it earlier, but i simply forgot to test it and just 3 weeks later i thought to give it a second try. only that time i recognized that i never tried it, hehe)

alexxx

秀才
thank you for the reply, but I was trying to avoid the method you're suggesting: in my Glofiish M800, as far as I can tell, is not present a registry editor.
So I was trying to follow the easier route of 1-package-installs-everything, as in the Plumsip suggestion.
My problem is that I don't know which packet is correct - as I wrote.

Alessandro

longngo

Alex - there is no perfect one-in-all package. If you want to avoid the registry editing process (which isn't that hard. My xperia doesn't have an editor either but you can easily download one from the net, free, I find the ones that work off the PDA instead of the computer better for the xperia) then you install CE-Star (which in addition to being chinese character input device also installs chinese fonts onto the system during the installation process) but you will face all the bugs which have been mentioned in this forum, plus it's not free. I think plumsip is a better system but it's installation process will not install chinese sytem fonts, as mentioned above. Dude if you're in Beijing I can help you out if you have that much problems.

Long