dictionaries for sentences

naminori

举人
I am using Pleco mostly on a Xiaomi Android smartphone and also on a Samsung Android smartphone emulation. If I go in the character search and definitions to sentences, the list of consulted dictionaries starts on the Samsung phone with PLC and examples of several other dictionaries are listed below. - On the Xiaomi phone the list starts with OCC instead and the important PLC and CC are not even included!!!
I have searched intensely in the settings for a way to set up the dictionaries covered in the sentence examples section - but I did not find any clue. Please explain how this is to be done and got.

naminori

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If PLC/CC aren't included then it sounds like something got corrupted with your app installation - I'd suggest that you back up your data (flashcards, settings, history, user dictionaries, etc) and then delete and reinstall the app with the APK version on our website.

naminori

举人
If PLC/CC aren't included then it sounds like something got corrupted with your app installation - I'd suggest that you back up your data (flashcards, settings, history, user dictionaries, etc) and then delete and reinstall the app with the APK version on our website.

Thanks Mike, for your advice.

But I do not have the slightest idea how to "back up _ data (flashcards, settings, history, user dictionaries, etc) and then delete and reinstall the app with the APK version on our website". And I would certainly not like to get from Scylla to Charybdis. - Could you tell me where and how such a backup is to be done and what APK means and where it is to be found.

Though there is indeed a difference of versions. The Samsung emulation, where SE starts indeed with PLC, is version 3.2.93. The physical Xiaomi phone has version 3.2.92.

But on that phone where PLC and CC are missing under the SENTENCE tab, they are well included and functional in DICTIONARY and READING.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

BTW. - I have ticked als the options for mail notifications.

1714589155702.png

But I was not notified of your reply.

Regards.

naminori

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... in that case the delete and reinstall may not be necessary, since it seems like the dictionaries are still there - it may be a settings issue instead.

Can you give me an example of a word for which you see PLC examples on your Samsung phone and not on your Xiaomi one? Also, is your phone in traditional or simplified character mode? And how did you search for this word - pinyin or characters or Cantonese or some other way?

With the email notification, by any chance did it end up in your junk folder?

naminori

举人
You were right supposing that the notifications got into the junk folder. Thanks. - I hope I resolved that.
___________________________________________________________________ N naminori

I am practically always in traditional character mode and quite content with seeing simplified in brackets.

These are the dictionaries as installed.

Xiaomi phone
Samsung desktop emulation
1714694507075.png
1714694583541.png

The order of dictionaries under the SENTENCES tab is the same independently from the search procedure. I am never in any way concerned with Cantonese. I access characters by pinyin or by manual draft, very rarely through radical list. And mostly I isolate them via READER out of the flashcard repetition. and then from CHARS, WORDS or SENTENCES. And if the character is in the dictionary screen I click on SEN or S. And the order of dictionaries in SENTENCES aka SEN aka S is always identical, whether I opted for dictionary search From current or From first.

These are the first sentence examples for the same character.

Xiaomi phone
Samsung desktop emulation
1714695789607.png
1714695890969.png
The only other dictionaries on this Xiaomi phone for the chosen - and any other characters are, in this order, TL, GF,NEC, ABE, OCE.

Here, PLC and CC are missing.
The only other dictionaries in this Samsung desktop emulation are, also in this order, TL, OCC, GF,ABC,ABE, OCE, NEC.

Here, only CC is missing.

Regards.

naminori

Attachments

• 1714697991245.png
    1714697991245.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 16

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Sorry, in that Xiaomi screenshot, is PLC still the first dictionary shown in the "DICT" tab?

And an obvious one I forgot to ask about: by any chance is the "use in dictionary" option for PLC in Settings / Manage Dictionaries turned off?

naminori

举人
Under the DICT tab PLC is not always the first to be shown. The order in which dictionaries appear there is rather erratic. And from what I have seen this is independently from whether I have selected. at the bottom of Settings > Search Engines. From Current or From Search. I think the first dictionary appearing und DICT is mostly - if not ever - the last one that I had looked into before,over whatever avenue, READER or SEARCH.

I had not been aware so far that on clicking at the dictionaries listed in Manage Dictionaries a new plethora of setting options for the respective dictionary opens. - And indeed, on the Xiaomi phone, the "use in dictionary" option for PLC was turned off. - I ticked it on. And ta ta, voilà, mission accomplished. SENTENCES are now starting also on the Xiaomi phone with PLC. -

I tried the same trick for CC, but with no luck. CC does not appear on top nor anywhere else in the SENTENCES. But I do not mind about it. With PLC not even included, but even on top, the cornucopia of SENTENCE examples is now amply stuffed. - Thank you for having settled this nicely up!

BTW - Could you pass me on some links that would explain something about how to "back up ,data (flashcards, settings, history, user dictionaries, etc) and then delete and reinstall the app with the APK version on your website"? - Just for in case, as they say.

Regards.

naminori

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The dictionary order in the DICT tab depends on which dictionaries have results + in some cases also which have the best ones (e.g. if you search for an English word it will show you entries that actually contain that word first).

CC doesn't have any example sentences, so it's normal that it would not appear in SENTS.

Backup data:
Flashcards: Import/Export / Backup Database
Settings and history: bottom of the Settings screen
User dictionaries: Settings, Manage Dictionaries, tap on the dictionary, Backup Database

You can delete the app the way you would delete any other app on your phone (usually a long press option). To install the APK from our website, just go to pleco.com on your phone and click on "Download Android APK."