Google Android

numble

状元
ogami_ito said:
I don't believe that Apple's contracts makes things difficult for other manufactures. I believe that Apple's supplier contracts are actually a negative factor; its tied them up with the likes of Foxconn and Wintek (the bastards that poisoned workers in Suzhou where I live), while their competitors either have their own on-the-ground facilities in China (Samsung, Moto, HTC), or have more flexible OEM strategies. But this is neither here nor there.
You make silly claims about the other manufacturers. HTC is equally "tied up" with Wintek. Samsung (Korea), Motorola (USA), and HTC (Taiwan) are all foreign companies that have to deal with Chinese domestic companies for supplies and assembly--factories that are rife with labor abuses. If you are seriously interested in learning about labor abuses in the electronic industry, check out the main websites of those two links.

Apple just placed an advanced order for component parts for the year 2011 that was just about the entire size of Motorola's entire market capitalization. I don't think you can get more flexible than that.

ogami_ito

秀才
mikelove said:
You're also forgetting the nature of consumer electronics distribution in the US; Apple doesn't have to compete with Taobao's prices, they don't even really have to worry too much about the crappy $189 thing that Wal-Mart's selling on Black Friday, they just need to make sure the iPad is as cheap as whatever Android tablet Best Buy is pushing and they'll hold on to the interesting part of the market quite well.....
The long-term value to Apple of establishing iOS as the leading tablet platform is enormous.
[/quote]
I would say that if there is a crappy $189 on the market, that will have more volume world wide that a $500 if the functionality is comparable. I guess we will all start seeing how it all shapes up in the next two years.

mikelove said:
Right, because the electronics industry is just a model of worker rights and eco-friendliness outside of Apple... Foxconn and Wintek aren't the subject of those giant long-term contracts anyway, component makers like Samsung are;

OK. I understand. I hear ya. You're right. :oops: BUT BUT BUT... Foxconn really sucks and the model which Apple is using, and the partners it has do have a worse record than Samsung. And what is extremely clear to me is that operations at Foxconn are very corrupt and they uses mafia tactics to control its workforce. They would have to in order to control factories of the size they use and prevent unionization. I'm not guessing this BTW. I've talked to many lawyers, bloggers, Chinese Labor Union (ie. Party) reps, reporters, about this topic.

mikelove said:
Apple can have their billions of dollars of flash memory shipped to whichever manufacturing partner they feel like.

No. Or... it seems they can't, or they won't. Whether that's because of a contractual issue or because Apple does not know how to work with another manufacturer I don't know. What is clear is that they are doing a worse job controlling their value chain than the competitors which own their own assembly operations in China. As for the other components...well...the other manufacturers are still shipping their phones in spite of Apple's "locking up" components.

mikelove said:
That's not going to last - what do you think that multi-billion-dollar data center in North Carolina is for? I'd wager at least even money that iOS 5 introduces PC-free operation for the iPad, and possibly the iPhone too.

If this happens, and prices come down a bit for my budget, I may need to re-think my phone and tablet operating system of choice

mikelove said:
A resistive-screen Android tablet? That's the sort of thing that gives app developers nightmares - we're already juggling enough fragmentation questions without having to deal with more than one touchscreen technology.

Many of the cheapo, absolute no-name tablets in China now are resistive screen. They seem to work about the same. Writing character recognition is good. Some of them have USB ports for keyboards, etc.

ogami_ito

秀才
numble said:
You make silly claims about the other manufacturers. HTC is equally "tied up" with Wintek. Samsung (Korea), Motorola (USA), and HTC (Taiwan) are all foreign companies that have to deal with Chinese domestic companies for supplies and assembly--factories that are rife with labor abuses. If you are seriously interested in learning about labor abuses in the electronic industry, check out the main websites of those two links.

Apple just placed an advanced order for component parts for the year 2011 that was just about the entire size of Motorola's entire market capitalization. I don't think you can get more flexible than that.

I read parts of that article. Nothing really new in it, and some of it is not exactly right. Anyway, I didn't say the other manufacturers are blameless. It is very difficult to gain complete control over the value chain in China. What I can say is that other companies have more of their value-chain in-house-in-China, which does give them more control. I can say that at Samsung , there is not clear evidence that the shift supervisors are taking bribes for Workers who want overtime. I can say that in the high-end manufacturing zones (Suzhou city, Shanghai, Tianjin) there is much greater adherence to China's labor laws. And that's different from Foxconn's operations in Dongguan, and in the Taiwanese manufacturing suburb otherwise known as Kunshan (next to Suzhou)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
westmeadboy said:
Well, if the T&Cs say one thing and they are not being enforced, then I would always assume they might be enforced later. If you ignore that then you are taking a risk - a pretty big risk at that. I think you are also confusing interpretation with enforcement. Clearly, if you do something wrong, then claiming everyone else used to do it and get away with it, is not the strongest defence.

We certainly considered the possibility that they might crack down on this, we were just hoping they wouldn't, and that Google's interest in appearing "open" would make it difficult for them to ban apps for crass commercial reasons rather than for genuinely malicious things like stealing users' data - it seems that now that Android's more established Google has decided they can afford to piss off a few developers and attract a few negative blog posts.

westmeadboy said:
I thought Apple changed the T&Cs to introduce their must-offer-all-purchases-through-our-great-value-30%-system?

It was there before, in fact there was a clause (albeit a slightly vague one) that pretty much barred unlocking anything at all outside of Apple's system.

ogami_ito said:
What is clear is that they are doing a worse job controlling their value chain than the competitors which own their own assembly operations in China.

That's a pretty big statement and requires a lot more justification - are you actually familiar with labor practices at those company-owned plants? And how up-to-date are you on the practices at Foxconn and Wintek?

ogami_ito said:
As for the other components...well...the other manufacturers are still shipping their phones in spite of Apple's "locking up" components.

Sure, but I'd venture to guess that Apple's paying a good bit less for them.

ogami_ito said:
Many of the cheapo, absolute no-name tablets in China now are resistive screen. They seem to work about the same. Writing character recognition is good. Some of them have USB ports for keyboards, etc.

From a UI design standpoint resistive versus capacitive is a HUGE deal - no multitouch, very different situation with regards to tapping accuracy / acceptable button sizes + layouts to avoid hitting the wrong thing... I can't imagine the cost savings of resistive-screen Android tablets would be enough to justify the huge compatibility break. And if they are then I hope that our fellow developers stand firm and refuse to support those screens - at some point the best way to prevent rampant platform fragmentation is for developers to ignore devices that don't play by the rules, we may lose a few customers but we'll end up with better software and better platforms to write it on.

ogami_ito said:
What I can say is that other companies have more of their value-chain in-house-in-China, which does give them more control. I can say that at Samsung , there is not clear evidence that the shift supervisors are taking bribes for Workers who want overtime. I can say that in the high-end manufacturing zones (Suzhou city, Shanghai, Tianjin) there is much greater adherence to China's labor laws. And that's different from Foxconn's operations in Dongguan, and in the Taiwanese manufacturing suburb otherwise known as Kunshan (next to Suzhou)

This is all still pretty vague - unless you have actual evidence that workers on the iPhone lines at Foxconn / Wintek in 2011 are being treated significantly worse than the workers assembling Samsung Galaxies and HTC Inspires, it's hard to see why we should specifically penalize Apple for this rather than viewing it as a problem of the electronics manufacturing industry in general.

mandu

秀才
mikelove said:
character said:
I think in general you'd need to move to a design which could stand some resizing. Figure out how much screen space you have, and display the top n buttons which will fit, putting the rest into a menu.

I'm not too worried about the UI end of this, actually, but the custom drivers / weird device-specific interface changes / etc are a major concern - bigger canvas = more room for manufacturers to screw things up.

Looks like my hopes of being able to release an Android Market version without paying Googke 30% of add-on sales are dashed:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/25/visu ... ccused-of/

So the question now is whether our app can really be successful without Android Market - we can theoretically go either way but certainly the total freedom of direct sales only is very appealing.

As far as I can tell, the current financial situation under Google is no worse than under Apple. A maximum of 30% of market sales.

Google allows non-market installations, thus allows external payment mechanisms. (were you suggesting their T/Cs allow them to close that door?) This means that you can make additional sales with no 30% penalty (pro-versions, rare additions, etc.)

Does Google restrict your freedom to link your website? I see developer-site links on the market-page for every app.

My confusion is about your criticisms. It appears that Google has tightened up recently, and you see less freedom in the future that you had first expected on Android. Do you have any reason to think it will get as bad as the restrictions to your freedom under Apple? Or is the issue that Android development was started with the expectation of higher margins, and that without significantly higher margins you have trouble justifying the cost of supporting multiple HW drivers?

Having had a grim experience with Sony's Android product, I agree about the drivers. Sony's phones can't be developed properly by independent coders because the drivers are unavailable for camera and other components. Even if XDA brings out a modern release of Android for my phone, I probably still couldn't use Pleco's OCR because, even if they get the camera running, there will be performance problems. Isn't a big feature of 3.0 the insertion of an abstraction layer that devs can target rather than the drivers themselves?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mandu said:
Google allows non-market installations, thus allows external payment mechanisms. (were you suggesting their T/Cs allow them to close that door?) This means that you can make additional sales with no 30% penalty (pro-versions, rare additions, etc.)

Some devices only work with the Market, and more may do so in the future as the margins get tighter and manufacturers and carriers start to look for additional sources of revenue. Android's past "openness" IMHO had as much to do with its easygoing app approval policies / instant submission of updates as it did with the actual ability to install non-Market apps.

mandu said:
Does Google restrict your freedom to link your website? I see developer-site links on the market-page for every app.

They don't, but they might - as I said there's ample precedent for this. And even if you can link to your site, if you're not allowed to tell people in the app to go there to buy add-ons (or an enhanced version) having the link in your app description won't do much good.

mandu said:
My confusion is about your criticisms. It appears that Google has tightened up recently, and you see less freedom in the future that you had first expected on Android. Do you have any reason to think it will get as bad as the restrictions to your freedom under Apple? Or is the issue that Android development was started with the expectation of higher margins, and that without significantly higher margins you have trouble justifying the cost of supporting multiple HW drivers?

Margins are indeed part of the problem - it's not an issue of drivers specifically but of more difficult programming / compatibility testing in general, and also of the fact that the marginal benefit to us of supporting a second platform is inherently less than supporting the first one; our sales barely increased at all when we launched on Windows Mobile, we just saw it gradually eat up a larger and larger portion of Palm OS sales. So we were hoping that higher revenue per user on Android would help offset this extra cost.

But the decline in "openness" in general is also really irking me - we pay the price for Android's freewheeling open-source ways by having to test on / support all of this extra hardware, put up with running in a VM and interacting awkwardly with our native code, etc, and now we're seeing fewer and fewer benefits from it. Plus, Google's gained a lot of mindshare among techies (including many people in this thread) by being more open and easygoing than Apple, and now that they've got everyone's attention and bought themselves time to bring the OS a bit closer to Apple-like levels of zen it seems like openness has become less of a priority.

It's not that we weren't prepared for this possibility - indeed many of my early anti-Android comments took the form of "it may be open for now but that can't last forever" - but it's disappointing; if this had happened last summer it might have been enough to push Android down a notch or two in our priority list, and as is I only hope that the Android version doesn't turn out to be as big a boondoggle as Pleco 2.0 on Palm was.

mandu said:
Having had a grim experience with Sony's Android product, I agree about the drivers. Sony's phones can't be developed properly by independent coders because the drivers are unavailable for camera and other components. Even if XDA brings out a modern release of Android for my phone, I probably still couldn't use Pleco's OCR because, even if they get the camera running, there will be performance problems. Isn't a big feature of 3.0 the insertion of an abstraction layer that devs can target rather than the drivers themselves?

Haven't read much about that - honestly if a manufacturer really does things badly with drivers we might just skip supporting them altogether, we could have a perfectly respectable compatibility list consisting of nothing but HTC / Samsung / Motorola phones. (unless one of them turns out to be equally problematic driver-wise, though OCR's working on representatives of the first two at least and as soon as we get a newer-than-the-original-Droid Motorola in here I'm hopeful we'll get it working on them too)

ogami_ito

秀才
mikelove said:
That's a pretty big statement and requires a lot more justification - are you actually familiar with labor practices at those company-owned plants? And how up-to-date are you on the practices at Foxconn and Wintek? .... This is all still pretty vague - unless you have actual evidence that workers on the iPhone lines at Foxconn / Wintek in 2011 are being treated significantly worse than the workers assembling Samsung Galaxies and HTC Inspires, it's hard to see why we should specifically penalize Apple for this rather than viewing it as a problem of the electronics manufacturing industry in general.

For the last 6 years (until last Fall), I was a General Management Consultant in Southern China, and I specialized in leadership, labor management practices, and performance management systems. I never called on Foxconn. They have a reputation for being one of the most corrupt organizations to work with as a vendor. And that's in an industry which is rife with corruption. My experience is that companies, like people, often take a long time to change their behavior patterns, and that change does not come about unless there is a total management change, which has not happened at Foxconn. Nothing I read in the Chinese and Western media suggested to me that change takes place in Foxconn. On the other hand, I have called on and consulted to Samsung a few times. I do have specific evidence that Samsung follows labor law more than Foxconn.

My experience is that most Taiwanese companies have much more corruption and poor labor management practices because the Taiwanese managers have less leadership skill, Taiwanese corporate culture, and because of Taiwanese HQ policies. Although to be fair, I'm about 80% sure that the problems at Wintek are conflated with general labor relations issues and less to do with EHS issues.

There is also a common sense assumption I would like to state; its a lot harder to control labor force is the factory complex holds 100000 people instead of 2000 people. With 100000 workers on a campus, labor unrest - which is something the Government does not allow unless it is "controlled" unrest - can explode. It is crystal clear - without any doubt - that Foxconn pays off its local Union people in order to secure government cooperation in reducing labor unrest. This was confirmed to me by other Union managers in the electronics industry. They were upset because the problems at Foxconn were shinning a negative light on the role of the Party in labor relations.

All this being said, I never suggested Apple should be specifically penalized; everything mentioned above are industry problems. My point simply was that Apple does a worse job at compliance and value chain control than the others because they have purposefully put less facilities on the ground.

OK. I think we kicked this side-point to death.

mikelove said:
Google's gained a lot of mindshare among techies (including many people in this thread) by being more open and easygoing than Apple, and now that they've got everyone's attention and bought themselves time to bring the OS a bit closer to Apple-like levels of zen it seems like openness has become less of a priority.
Personally, I care very little about openness. I care alot about the fact that the iPhone's are one-size-fits-all and mostly out-of-my-budget. And I really hated how notifications on the iPhone pop up in front of me when I don't want to look at them. I'm also not really into the look at feel of the home-screens. And at the time I went over to Android, iPhone had no multi-tasking which was a pain when i wanted to use Skype and switch to my dictionary, for example.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
ogami_ito said:
Personally, I care very little about openness. I care alot about the fact that the iPhone's are one-size-fits-all and mostly out-of-my-budget. And I really hated how notifications on the iPhone pop up in front of me when I don't want to look at them. I'm also not really into the look at feel of the home-screens. And at the time I went over to Android, iPhone had no multi-tasking which was a pain when i wanted to use Skype and switch to my dictionary, for example.

Fair enough - I have a similarly negative aesthetic reaction to Android.

westmeadboy said:
For those debating whether to go for the iPad2 or Xoom, this is worth reading:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17913/ipad_2_vs_android

Ah, a blog called "Android Power," no doubt this will be a thoroughly balanced and unbiased review :)

mikelove said:
westmeadboy said:
For those debating whether to go for the iPad2 or Xoom, this is worth reading:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/17913/ipad_2_vs_android

Ah, a blog called "Android Power," no doubt this will be a thoroughly balanced and unbiased review :)
Biased or not, it makes some good points and is definitely worth reading for anyone considering the two.

Of course, it's not worth reading if you are someone who judges a blog post by the blog's title. Did you read it Mike? Does it have any valid points at all, in your eyes?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
westmeadboy said:
Of course, it's not worth reading if you are someone who judges a blog post by the blog's title. Did you read it Mike? Does it have any valid points at all, in your eyes?

I did read it before I replied, but I've read so many articles like this that I didn't want to start arguing about it point by point... but it's nothing I haven't seen before, and several of the things it says are either deceptive ("only" .16 inches thicker = 50% thicker), highly speculative (nobody knows how much processing power the iPad 2 has) or flat-out wrong (iOS has a number of third-party browsers now).

And it really doesn't seem to be trying to set up a comparison so much as attack the iPad and defend Android - viruses are a serious problem and will probably get worse, Google rejects apps for arbitrary reasons too, unrestricted filesystem access has a number of negative consequences for security, not all Android tablets allow you to install any app you want... a fair comparison would actually go over each device's good and bad points.

It's important to note, I didn't say "here is a fair comparison...". I said this is worth reading. It's worth reading other stuff too before making any decision. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is Apple's keynote because of all the mis-information it spreads (e.g. using debunked misquotes!).

I bet most people considering the two tablets would be quite surprised by some of the stuff in there. A lot of people really do not realise what they cannot do on an iPad (e.g. accessing (from your PC) your device as if it were a harddrive). Some people don't care, but some people do and need to know these things before purchasing.

But Mike, I'd be interested to know what you tell people (or what site you point them to) when they ask you, "What are the reasons against buying an iPad?".

ogami_ito

秀才
Mike, I agree that that article is biased. Although, the first 1,2,&4 points about why the Zoon is better (Widgets, Notifications, and Multitasking) are what I personally like more about Android.

On another issue...

I was in a business meeting with a comic and movies production / publishing company in Hong Kong about a month ago. A lot of the meeting was about the challenges of electronic publishing of comics for a China market (actually, the challenge of making money off of it). The manager I talked with mentioned that in Hong Kong, there is a government push to distribute textbooks and regular books in electronic (presumably epub) formats.

Q #1: Do you know anything about this?

Now... what does this have to do with Android v. iOS? Well...

My understanding is that with iPad, you can only buy things through iTunes, but a "channel fee" of 30% is charged. You can sideload free epubs. I imagine you can buy-to-download epubs and pdfs and then load them. But in this manner, the vendor has little IP protection. I have heard that there are provisions for free - educational content distribution outside of itunes.
Q#2 Have you heard anything about that?

With Android devices, there is also the "channel" fee of 30% for epubs. One can put multiple content markets on the device, but non-Google Markets cannot be distributed through the Market.
Q#3 Well... how are Nook and that other reader (forgot what its called... from Amazon I think) market working? They distribute their market on Google Market, and give to Google 30% of their market earnings?

So my speculation... if some governments or educational institutions are pressing for e-publishing, is it likely that they would standardize around a single third-party market (ie. iTunes). Would there not be incentive for the institutions to use markets which they themselves control, and thus promote devices which allow the installation of those markets ... such as unlocked Android devices?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
westmeadboy said:
It's important to note, I didn't say "here is a fair comparison...". I said this is worth reading. It's worth reading other stuff too before making any decision. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is Apple's keynote because of all the mis-information it spreads (e.g. using debunked misquotes!).

He used one. One debunked misquote. Yes, in its other content it was certainly pro-iPad, but it was an APPLE PRESS CONFERENCE - I'd find this article significantly less objectionable if it came from Motorola's marketing department.

westmeadboy said:
I bet most people considering the two tablets would be quite surprised by some of the stuff in there. A lot of people really do not realise what they cannot do on an iPad (e.g. accessing (from your PC) your device as if it were a harddrive). Some people don't care, but some people do and need to know these things before purchasing.

The differences are worth highlighting, but not if you're doing it in such a slanted way. The people who care about these things probably aren't going to be surprised by much of what's in this article anyway, and people who don't really understand them might be moved more by the tone than the content - it's dangerous to read too many opinion pieces when you're not qualified to understand their arguments (or even aware that they're opinion pieces).

westmeadboy said:
But Mike, I'd be interested to know what you tell people (or what site you point them to) when they ask you, "What are the reasons against buying an iPad?".

Actually I don't encourage people to buy tablets at all; I'm happy to write software for them as long as people keep buying them, but I almost never use my iPad except for software testing. The things I want to do with a large screen generally involve content-creation and for that I'd rather have a netbook.

ogami_ito said:
I was in a business meeting with a comic and movies production / publishing company in Hong Kong about a month ago. A lot of the meeting was about the challenges of electronic publishing of comics for a China market (actually, the challenge of making money off of it). The manager I talked with mentioned that in Hong Kong, there is a government push to distribute textbooks and regular books in electronic (presumably epub) formats.

Q #1: Do you know anything about this?

Hadn't heard, no - interesting.

ogami_ito said:
My understanding is that with iPad, you can only buy things through iTunes, but a "channel fee" of 30% is charged. You can sideload free epubs. I imagine you can buy-to-download epubs and pdfs and then load them. But in this manner, the vendor has little IP protection. I have heard that there are provisions for free - educational content distribution outside of itunes.
Q#2 Have you heard anything about that?

You can buy things in other ways; Apple's recently instituted a policy of requiring vendors that offer on-device purchasing to offer Apple's system as an option, but there seems to be some wiggle room in it since Amazon's selling Kindle books without using Apple's system. Possibly because it's not actually possible to purchase a Kindle book on your device except through Safari.

Loading free books is very easy, though - can be done through iTunes or a web browser.

ogami_ito said:
With Android devices, there is also the "channel" fee of 30% for epubs. One can put multiple content markets on the device, but non-Google Markets cannot be distributed through the Market.
Q#3 Well... how are Nook and that other reader (forgot what its called... from Amazon I think) market working? They distribute their market on Google Market, and give to Google 30% of their market earnings?

I assume Google's granting them the same exception that Apple does - it's OK as long as you don't actually sell the books in-app but rather on a web page.

ogami_ito said:
So my speculation... if some governments or educational institutions are pressing for e-publishing, is it likely that they would standardize around a single third-party market (ie. iTunes). Would there not be incentive for the institutions to use markets which they themselves control, and thus promote devices which allow the installation of those markets ... such as unlocked Android devices?

I don't think DRM for ebooks is going to last, for the same reason it didn't last for music files - it's clear that DRM irritates users and is not essential to make money off of (mass-market-priced) content, and at some point publishers are going to decide that they'd rather keep 95% of the price selling DRM-free books off of their own websites than keep 70% selling them through Amazon's and Apple's.

From my own experience, most of the publishers we deal with have pretty much resigned themselves to piracy as a matter of course now, and with several it's actually been a pretty big shift in the last ~5 years as ebooks have become more popular; they hardly even ask about encryption systems and whatnot anymore.

So basically I think the question is going to become irrelevant long before publishers start thinking about standardizing around one platform or another. Not that I imagine they're particularly keen to anyway - unlocked or not, they don't want to be in the position of giving Google that kind of power; it may run their store, but it's still Google's platform and Google can do all kinds of other bad things to them if they so choose.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
On a more positive Android-related note, I just discovered IntelliJ's IDEA IDE, the free open-source edition of which now supports Android; seems to work quite well and it runs circles around Eclipse on Mac at least. Also supports Scala, though we're sufficiently deep into Java now that I don't think we can make that switch (however awesome it would be).

But anyway, it's made at least my share of the Android work considerably less painful. And it seems like between this and Xcode 4, smartphone programming environments are really getting better and better: I still remember a few long nights fighting with Metrowerks CodeWarrior back in 2001...

mikelove said:
westmeadboy said:

He used one. One debunked misquote.

Let's suppose you gave an interview about Pleco and got misquoted as saying "Pleco sales have been rather small" and that quote got spread all over the internet. You quickly show everyone you were misquoted and everyone accepts this.

Then a few weeks later your competitor brings up the misquote during a major announcement as being proof of Pleco's failure.

How would you feel, Mike?

It's OK, you are allowed to say something negative about Steve Jobs!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
westmeadboy said:
Then a few weeks later your competitor brings up the misquote during a major announcement as being proof of Pleco's failure.

How would you feel, Mike?

It's OK, you are allowed to say something negative about Steve Jobs!

If I were CEO of Samsung I'd like to think I'd have thick enough skin to not be bothered by it.

I'm not saying I approve, but I'm not 100% sure it was intentional - he's a pretty smart guy and he'd have to realize it would be debunked, we might at least consider the possibility that he actually didn't know - and given that company press conferences are not generally known as fonts of journalistic accuracy, I don't really see it as significantly more egregious than any of the other inaccurate / misleading pieces of information that generally pop up in them. And frankly I'd rather be lied to about this than about, say, battery life.

character

状元
^ It's probably the case that they haven't been coached on US-style media relations.

I think the iPad 2 left an opening for Android tablets, but they'll need competitive pricing and some impressive apps to catch up.