install problem at T5.

A

Anonymous

hi everyone~

I bought T5 at china and I tried to install PlecoDict.
but it wasn't possible.
(before I have used Oxford Chinese Dict on TE. and it was good..)

although T5 still has 53.2MB of free space at 'Device' and 155.1MB at 'Internal', when I try to install it on 'Device' HotSync Log says..

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Install failed: C:\Program Files\palmOne\shindo\Install\ABC.pdb
The memory in your handheld may be full. To check the available memory, select Menu/Info from the handheld's Application Launcher.
Install synchronization failed

when I try to install it on 'Internal' with 'Drive Mode'..
it seems like installed.. (at least I can see Icon..) but it doesn't work.
it says about..

'cannot find any Dictionary data file', 'double check you installed it propery on RAM or palm/Launcher folder of Extention Card'..
(I had tried putting Dict. data file in SD card on proper path.. but still same message)

as you know T5 has little bit tricky memory structure. (52MB free RAM + 150MB Inernal Memory)
so it make me feel little bit embarrassed.

is installing with T5 needs some special trick?
anyone succeeded install it on T5?
if so.. please help me!!!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Are you sure that you were looking at the correct free space numbers? Those sound like the figures for total rather than free memory. You want to go to the "Info" screen and look for the first number after "Free Space" - that'll tell you the amount of memory remaining. My guess would be that at least one of those numbers is actually a lot lower.

A

Anonymous

[update] it doesn't seems Pleco's problem but HotSync..

firstly thanks about reply.

surely the free space was enough!
(I can sure it because I tried it right after the hard reset)

today I tried to install it without ABC.pdb file..
I don't know why but it is installed now.
(so I put ABC.pdb on 'Internal')

now I think it wasn't Pleco's problem but T5's hotsync is not so stable.
or sync speed is too slow for installing big files.
(maybe time out something..)

can I know how long it takes to install full version of Pleco Dict on T5?
(there are posibility with my computer and T5 connection setting has problem..)

I think now I have trouble with HotSync.
after I installed several softwares whenever I try to install some software, during hotsync(exactly install process) T5 handheld makes 'Fatal Error'.
and hotsync log says 'Connection Lost', 'Install synchronization failed'..
sometime during backup process, without any installing, it makes 'Fatal Error'.

and after several 'Fatal Error' and Reset..
finally at Pleco Dict dictionay select window has duplicated list. (dictionay name shows 2 times each)
(T5's totally new file system seems really new.)

it's quite stressful, but hopefully..
although all the problems..
it works pretty well for now. (except hotsync)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We don't yet have a T5 for testing yet, so I don't know exactly how long it takes to sync over PlecoDict, but I can't imagine it would be more than a few minutes.

Does this "Fatal Error" you mention cause your T5 to crash / reset? That might be a bug in the T5's file system - there really isn't a lot we can do about HotSync / installation issues except for providing better installation instructions (which we will when the finished PlecoDict is available). So you might want to contact Palm support about that.

You're not the first person to report a problem with duplicated dictionaries, though - there may be some sort of incompatibility between PlecoDict and the T5's bizzare file system, I'd say the odds are at least 50-50 that this is actually Palm's fault and not ours but we'll do whatever we can before the finished release of PlecoDict. (I'm eagerly awaiting the opportunity to vent my anger at some palmOne executives at the next developer conference - this whole NVFS nightmare is one of the worst yet of their many offenses against customers and developers)

Oh, and with apologies to those of you who already own T5's, to anyone contemplating a Palm purchase I'd recommend you steer clear of the T5 and get the T3 instead - it's cheaper, it's very similar features-wise, and at the moment it seems to be a lot less buggy than the T5. Hopefully Palm will eventually get a lot of the T5's issues worked out, but for the time being I suspect most people would be happier with the T3.

A

Anonymous

T5 real test is needed.

yes. "Fatal Error" causes my T5 crash and reset!
(but normally during HotSync)

I'm pretty sure that you will..
but anyways I strongly recommend you to test it on real T5.

T5 crashes pretty a lot. (compare with TE)
Even sometimes Oxford Dict crashes that was never happened on TE for more than 3 months.
it doesn't seems really Dict problem..
but it's pretty sure that crash and reset happens when Dict software tries to access DB.
because right after when I input some pinyin or handwriting recognize it (sometimes..) crashed.

I have choose T5 than T3, TE because of its longer lasting battery because I use it mostly as chinese dinctionay.

now I studying chinese in China.
and I desperately waiting for stable Pleco Dict retail release.

good luck! :)