Palm T/X & Plecodict - problem

A

Anonymous

I'm trying to follow this thread, but unless I missed something, it hasn't solved my problem. After a fresh install of PD, everything works fine, until I do a soft reset, or try to back up my TX to my card, when I get a soft reset every time I try to launch PD. I use ZLauncher, so it's easy to preference and other associated files, without deleting the program itself, and that seems to solve the problem until the next reset or attempt to write to the card. It appears that something is getting corrupted by a simple soft reset. I don't think of this as a workaround, since it's a royal pain to have to do essentially a fresh install every time I want to use the program, even though I've figured out a way of doing it from the card, and I can't keep my preferences, or flash card files.

I have CJKOS installed, but disabled, but with both GB and Big5 fonts; I need both. I haven't installed any flash card files, and my own haven't survived, since I've had to uninstall and reinstall PD repeatedly. I've tried installing PD files to card, to internal memory, and tried running plecodict.prc from card and from RAM, all with the same result. Not installing the handwriting recognition files is not an option, and spending money on the new HR feels like throwing good money after bad.

So, any other ideas? I'm extremely frustrated, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

I'm also having problems still. Sometimes after using other programs Plecodict will start soft reseting after each use. Every time it does that I have to do a hard reset and reinstall to fix the problem and get it to work again. I can open plecodict after the softreset but i cannot use anything that has to do with flashcard. Every time I try i will softreset at once.

The programs that cause this behaviour after use so far are:

Blazer
Edge
DocToGo
The hack that puts the home button back on the screenbar.

I hope to that we will see a fix of these tx problems soon. The tx has been on the market for a while now. Its bit sad to see how much the PPC version has slowed down the development of Plecodict and bug fixes like this.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Wilfried - thanks for the detailed bug report. Unfortunately, though, there's not really any way to get PlecoDict working reliably on a TX without the new handwriting recognizer - we licensed it from another company, and hence we lack the ability to make changes to it to fix this bug. That company is no longer developing the recognizer (part of the reason why we switched to a new one) so there's no way we can get them to fix the bug on their end either.

However, if there's a bug in the flashcard system or some other part of PlecoDict we should certainly be able to fix that, and now that we've polished off version 1.0 for Pocket PC we can turn our attention to getting things set right with the TX. The first thing I'd recommend is that you either delete the old handwriting recognizer (just temporarily) or upgrade to the new one - otherwise there's no way we can isolate any other bugs from the handwriting recognizer one that we already know about. If the software works reliably with the handwriting recognizer removed, then you can assume that it will also work correctly with the new handwriting recognizer.

If you still encounter problems, the next thing to do is to try to isolate exactly which file is causing them. So the next time you encounter a reset, try deleting just one of PlecoDict's data files (like the flashcard database or User DB) and see if deleting that file by itself is enough to fix this. If not, try the same procedure with a different file. Hopefully this way we can pinpoint the problem and come up with a solution. You could also try disabling Instant Access (if you've previously enabled it in Preferences) - we haven't gotten any reports of problems with it yet, but it seems like a bug candidate given the nature of the changes Palm made in the TX's filesystem.

Guest - are you using the old handwriting recognizer or the new one? (what's listed next to "HWR" on the Ordering screen?) I don't see anything in common between those particular programs except that they all use a lot of memory, but we'll do some testing with them and hopefully we'll manage to reproduce this bug on a TX here. But a hard reset probably isn't necessary - if you download and install the free utility FileZ you can use that to go into your TX's memory and delete only the "PlecoDict Flashcard Database" file - hopefully, removing that will get the software working again.

As for your complaint about how long it's taking us to fix these TX issues, by the time the TX hit the market we had already released the beta version of PlecoDict for Pocket PC, and hence already had several orders of magnitude more customers waiting for bug fixes on Pocket PC as we did waiting for fixes for the TX. So it's simply been a matter of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few - fixing bugs that affect every Pocket PC (or every Pocket PC running Windows Mobile 5) is a higher priority than fixing bugs that affect only one specific Palm model. Now the Palm version of the Treo 700 will probably have the same bugs, so it's getting increasingly important that we fix them, but for the last few months at least they've been confined to only the TX.

Beyond that, to be blunt I'm utterly fed up with Palm breaking our software with every new generation of hardware they release. We follow all the rules about well-behaved software, don't hack the OS or use any undocumented functions, and yet even minor hardware updates like the TX still contain enough low-level changes to the OS to create new bugs for us to fix. And they don't bother to tell us about those changes until after the products have already hit the market and people have started writing us with bug reports. We're none too happy with Microsoft either, but at least with them the major changes generally only happen in big updates like Windows Mobile 5, and are documented and made available for testing several months before people start buying PDAs that use them. So I hope you'll understand if simple frustration keeps us from putting support for every new Palm model at the top of our priority list.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
A new discovery on the flashcard issue (which we've now managed to reproduce). If your flashcard file starts causing crashes etc, it looks like ifyou simply move your flashcard data file to an SD card (making sure to delete it from main memory) and then move it back to main memory, that will clear up the problem. The data doesn't appear to be affected, the issue seems to be with the Palm OS filesystem and the extra data it keeps on each database you've installed - moving the file to an SD card and back is creating an entirely new file as far as the Palm OS filesystem is concerned, and that seems to eliminate whatever the problem is.

Hopefully we'll manage to isolate the exact cause of this problem soon, but at least this should make it a little less painful if/when it does happen.