Pleco for Android 2.4.14 Bug Report Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Just some assorted bug fixes - the particular bug that motivated this update was a a crash relating to the firmware on a couple of HTC models not handling a particular EditText attribute like it was supposed to, but we also fixed a rather annoying occasional full-text search crash and a couple of others too.

HW60

状元
No crash, not a big problem, but still the same as in 2.4.9:

Fill-in-the-blanks, Test reading (show character, prompt for pinyin) and Test listening (show pinyin, prompt for characters) alternating.
When the last card of the first session is prompt for pinyin and the first card of the Repeat incorrect session is prompt for pinyin too, then the keyboard for entering pinyin cannot be used, because Pleco switched to prompt for character mode, showing the keyboard, but allowing only HW input. One tap on the brush solves the problem now.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks - this is still on our to-do list, but it's actually a lot of complexity for a minor bug so we're not really making it a priority.

Couple items with current 2.4.14 on Google Nexus phone (1 year old phone).

I just installed Pleco on a Google Nexus phone with 4.3 (updated yesterday). It wouldn't download from the store, so I downloaded and installed from pleco.com
When I typed in my serial number, it said I had "successfully transferred my license"

Q1 - I already am running Pleco on my Transformer TF101 tablet. Will the phone install invalidate this? (I have an old license migrated from Palm, so only Android)

I downloaded current MoEDict-04c-Simp02b.pqb database and flashcard files and uploaded to phone. When I went to import the .pqb file (dictionary), the screen went black (blank) for a LONG time. A dialog came up saying that Pleco seemed to be hung and should I wait or cancel. I chose to wait. Eventually it came back.

Point: I think it would have been better to at least show something while importing, even if not a progress screen. Perhaps because the database is really large?

Another issue: After adding the dictionary finished, I decided to import the flashcards. I selected the file for import, and I got the "Encoding Check" screen. I decided to look at the file on my computer before answering "No" or "Yes". While I was looking on my computer, the phone screen blanked (automatic screen off). Pressing the button to turn screen on, I had to slide the "lock" icon to unlock the phone. At that point, the importing started, WITHOUT my selecting "Yes". Import continued through a number of screen blankings (where I would unlock and check up on progress).

Point: I don't think it should have continued without an explicit tap on "Yes". Turns out I intended to tap "Yes", so I let it continue.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Q1 - I already am running Pleco on my Transformer TF101 tablet. Will the phone install invalidate this? (I have an old license migrated from Palm, so only Android)

Not immediately, but old Palm licenses are only valid on one device at a time so you might run into problems upgrading / continuing to use Pleco on it later on.

Point: I think it would have been better to at least show something while importing, even if not a progress screen. Perhaps because the database is really large?

Yes - you might also have a relatively slow SD card.

Point: I don't think it should have continued without an explicit tap on "Yes". Turns out I intended to tap "Yes", so I let it continue.

Good catch, thanks - seems like the alert is continuing the import session when it's canceled instead of aborting it like it should.

sahal

秀才
Not a bug, but what is the use of having more than one scorefile for the same test in the flashcards module? Or of having more than one test with the same scorefile? I changed some parameters in my scorefiles today and ended up accidentally using the reading test scorefile for my writing test, which was really confusing, and also it was far from obvious what the problem was.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not a bug, but what is the use of having more than one scorefile for the same test in the flashcards module? Or of having more than one test with the same scorefile? I changed some parameters in my scorefiles today and ended up accidentally using the reading test scorefile for my writing test, which was really confusing, and also it was far from obvious what the problem was.

Because you might want to track statistics independently for multiple types of test - for example, you might keep separate scores for tone practice so that you can focus on the words you need the most help with tone-wise separately from learning their meaning.

I created a new category "Writing", and then added one new card to it (脂肪 in this case). Then I created a new profile called "Writing", did a reset to default values and then selected spaced repetition. (BTW, there's no way to see what profile it came from afterwards?)

I set the profile to 1 category ("writing"). Set to score immediately.

If I set test type to anything except stroke order, it works. If I set to stroke order, it says there are no cards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I created a new category "Writing", and then added one new card to it (脂肪 in this case). Then I created a new profile called "Writing", did a reset to default values and then selected spaced repetition. (BTW, there's no way to see what profile it came from afterwards?)

I set the profile to 1 category ("writing"). Set to score immediately.

If I set test type to anything except stroke order, it works. If I set to stroke order, it says there are no cards.

Stroke order only works for single-character cards.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
So there's no specific "writing practice" that I could set up for words, phrases or sentences?

Fill-in-the-blanks with "prompt for" set to character would do that - stroke order practice is for tapping strokes in characters in the correct order.

inorbit

举人
Hi Mike,

First I want to thank you for your wonderful app (I bought it this week). It will be a great tool to help me learning chinese!

I found one little bug (nexus 4, android 4.3):

menu -> history -> OCR -> menu -> Clear All -> Yes (entries now dissappear) -> back button -> menu -> history -> OCR -> entries are here again!

inorbit

举人
Here is a bug or maybe something that is not clear ...

menu -> flashcards -> Export Cards with

Card Selection = All Cards
File format =Text File

In INCLUDE DATA section, Categories is checked

But when I open the .txt file, I have no categories!

Note 1: I observe also that all the cards are two times in the file:

card1
cardx
// <-- this separator is in the text file
card1
cardx

Note 2: All the categories that I have defined contain no cards. I have observed that if I use xml format, my empty categories are presents.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for that bug report. Does the same happen if you open up OCR history from within an OCR session (by tapping on the clock icon)?

With the other item, this is normal - in text files we only export categories with cards in them. (to be honest, in 5+ years of doing it this way I'm not sure if anybody has ever complained about that)

inorbit

举人
Thanks for that bug report. Does the same happen if you open up OCR history from within an OCR session (by tapping on the clock icon)?

Yes, same thing.

With the other item, this is normal - in text files we only export categories with cards in them. (to be honest, in 5+ years of doing it this way I'm not sure if anybody has ever complained about that)

Ok, thanks. I was not sure if it was normal (since I saw the empty cat. in the .xml).
Concerning the fact that my cards are in the .txt file 2 times (separated by //), this is normal?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yes, since the text file format doesn't allow us to list multiple categories for the same card any other way - when you reimport the file, it should combine them into a single card that's in both categories. (unless you've turned on the option to allow duplicates)

inorbit

举人
Not sure if it it considered a bug or something that could be improved ...
but if I press the + to make a flashcard (became a [+]), change my mind (possibly because it was added automatically to the wrong categories (not the one I was thinking)), press again on the [+] -> Card Info -> DELETE CARD -> Yes

1) I receive again the Duplicate Card pop up (I think it should not)
2) I choose Cancel (since I have already done what I want (delete the card)
3) my card is still presented with a [+] (if I go back and selected the word again, I now have a simple +)

Note: Another path is working correctly:

press + (became [+])
press [+] and in Duplicate Card popup, directly choose Delete Card and you are returned to your word with only a +

inorbit

举人
This one is more difficult to describe precisely, but the effect is big ...

Flashcards -> Organize Cards -> Edit

After that, I tried to manually sort alphabetically my categories (~ 20) and after having sorted maybe 6 categories, I observed the following:

When I push on the selector for a category X, it is like I moving the category Y. After having moved like that, without changing the order of the category, I released the selector.
I push again on the category X and this time, it is like I was moving the category Z.

Note 1: When for example, moving the category A (appearing as B when moving), if I release the appearing B at some new position, it will correctly appear as A at the final position.

Note 2: I have been able to reproduce this bug (you need to do some categories moves before it appears).