Pleco for Android 3.2.23

kun4

举人
Minor bug: In Tone Practice, answer one card and go to the next card. Immediately push the "back" button. You get the first card, with the pinyin of the second card.

HW60

状元
I installed Google Drive to backup my flashcards because Pleco did not show Dropbox which I usually use. I backed up my flashcards with my tablet and wanted to restore the flashcards on my phone, but there is no way in Pleco to backup or restore flashcards or reader files with my phone, though I found the backup file with Google Drive on my phone. Do I miss any setting for cloud storage?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
If the phone is running an Android version before 4.4, or an outdated version of Google Drive, it might not show up for that reason - Android 4.4 added that multi-service file picker interface ("Storage Access Framework") and it also needs to be enabled by an up-to-date app. For an older version of Android you'd need to go into the Google Drive app and save the file out to your SD card before you could open it in Pleco.

Is it possible to export flashcards using tone markers instead of numbers? When I need to show tone markes in an exported flashcard file I'm forced to use a not easy external converter pinyin-unicode! Thank you.

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not at the moment, no - we're worried about reimporting them in that case, don't want people to turn that feature on and then get upset with us when the flashcards they exported don't cleanly import back into Pleco.

when the flashcards they exported don't cleanly import back into Pleco.
In effect, seems that there are several ways to obtain tone marks: so letters apparently identical are in effect differents.
ā can be ā ā ā ā ɑ̄ ɑ̄
I know that that is a real problem!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's pretty much it, yeah. And they often end up garbled in some way. We could design a bulletproof converter for them given enough time, but we don't get enough requests for this to make it a huge priority at the moment.

kun4

举人
Create an English user dictionary. Import the following file:
jade<tab><tab>玉
Go to dictionary, search for jade. Entry is erroneously shown as:
jadeade

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-01-26-13-59-17.png
    Screenshot_2016-01-26-13-59-17.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 469

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Try using just one tab, not two - only need two for Chinese-English (and only if you're skipping Pinyin).

HW60

状元
I like the new dictionaries! There is one problem: some of the definitions of the Chinese Tea Terms (BCT) are very long. I first increased the maximum number of lines to 8, but still could not see the full definition. Then I reduced the font size for List definition considerably to see the full text, but I prefer to read with a bigger font size on my 9.7" tablet.

I would like a variable maximum # of lines in the List Layout: as much as necesseary to display the definition.

Edit: Problem solved - I just never used the DICT tab ...

Last edited:

Th41

举人
Just noticed two small errors.

Screenshot_2016-01-31-23-56-52.png

The third definition should be "klar werden" (not wrden, there is no such word in German. This one should be the same as the last word in the 2nd or 3rd definition)

Screenshot_2016-01-31-12-44-13.png

"pinyin" makes no sense as a definition.

Are these worth reporting? Not sure on how dictionaries are used by pleco and whether these are mistakes of files provided by the publishers of the dictionaries or due to pleco itself

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! Certainly worth reporting, yes - this was a digitization of an old print dictionary so mistakes like this will be fixed a lot faster by user feedback than by our own proofreading efforts. (have to dig around in the original dictionary to find out what was supposed to be there instead of 'pinyin' though)

Th41

举人
One more:

"Garnle" should be "Garnele" as in the second example "Geißelgarnele"

Screenshot_2016-02-02-17-21-06.png

By the way, are there any plans on releasing a classical Chinese to English dictionary (like Matthews)?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks!

We already have a Classical-to-English dictionary - "A Student's Dictionary of Classical & Medieval Chinese."