PlecoDict and chinese OS / 320x480 on sony clie?

gandq

探花
could not find any help in this forum, so i'll ask directly:

i have the following problems:

- on my clie new NX73V, plecodict doesn't use the full screen and i cannot minimize the silkscreen. why is that? i was so much looking foreward to have handwriting recognition on the bottom of the screen and list view on the right. it actually influenced my decision to buy that pda.

- i have a chinese os (CHOS HiRes), but i still need to install the pleco dict fonts. why?

thanks for your answer, mike.

greetings,

jo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We've gotten a few reports of problems with full-screen on the NX60 and NX73; we're still investigating, they don't show up on the simulator and we'll probably have to order one to test this out on. (assuming nobody in the Palm developer forums can come up with an easy fix) But don't worry, we're definitely planning to fix this in the final version.

And the reason you still need the PlecoDict fonts is that a lot of characters that our dictionaries use aren't included in the CHOS ones. Not just Chinese characters but Pinyin tone marks, IPA pronunciation characters, some radicals, enclosed numbers and superscripts in the finished version. In theory we could probably come up with a "fill-in" font that would only cover characters that weren't included in CHOS, but since CJKOS and CHOS use slightly different character sets and since each of them offers a smaller font option with fewer characters, it would take an awful lot of work to get all of these fill-in fonts assembled, on top of which there'd be a significant amount of programming work needed to enable our font display system to interface with an external Chinese OS. So we didn't think it was worth the effort to get PlecoDict working with CJKOS/CHOS fonts.

(for the curious, the PlecoDict fonts currently include the entire CJK Unified block from the Unicode standard, and in the finished version they'll also include a small selection of Extension A and Extension B characters that are used in the ABC dictionary - we may produce a more compact set of font files at some point that cover only the exact set of characters in the ABC/NWP/Oxford dictionaries, but with several other licenses in the pipeline there's something to be said for ensuring that everybody has the same set of characters available, plus there'd be the inevitable slowdown associated with sparse font files).

A

Anonymous

Re: PlecoDict and chines OS / 320x480 on sony clie?

Yes, my Clie (Japanese NX70V) had the same problem. The little utility/hack Codediver was able to fix the problem for me. This program tries to force programs which were not originally written for full screen to use it (as well as other trying to turn on features such as using certain fonts, jog assist, startup macros, changing wallpaper). It works on some programs, but not all. I'm not sure if it will work with your version of Clie, but might be worth a try. (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productId=59805)

The fact that this program can force PlecoDict to use the virtual silk area is hopefully a good sign that this problem is just a simple bug that will be easy to fix for the final version. Being able to use the full screen with PlecoDict does make a big difference (at least for me), and fortunately Codediver also works with a couple of other older programs I use, so it made the registration fee a bit easier to justify.

Good luck,

A

Anonymous

thanks for your answer, mike.

it relaxes me a bit. i always had the pic from the manual in my mind and was really disappointed when it didn't look that way on my clie...

regarding the fonts, i don't mind installing them both (i just hope the fonts in the final version will look nicer). everything is fine as long as i can copy-paste between different applications and plecodict and as long as the dictionary provides me with pinyin for all the additional charackters (which oxford didn't - you could enter almost every charackter but were left without even the pronounciation quite often).

thanks again and i hope you find a fix soon!

sincerely,

jo

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Update on this: we've actually found a fix now, at least we think we have, and it'll be included in the bug-fix update that will be available soon.

gandq

探花
it works!

hello mike.

i just updated to plecodict 0.87 and the fullscreen now works perfektly. really beautiful.

there seems to be a problem with the entryfield on the bottom, though. you probably already know about it. after i write a character and chose it, it gets messy and is filled with some part of some dictionary entry instead of being white and clear. but still works and that's the most important thing. just wanted to mention it.

the new fonts are beautifu as well.

keep it going. take a long break over christmas.

cheers,

jo.