Reading Web Content offline + Instant Access

A

Anonymous

I use Plucker and Isilo to download Chinese language websites onto my T5 to read on the go. They both work find. However, there are problems when you try to select text - Plucker seems to only allow me to select lines, not characters. Isilo lets me select half characters, and maybe a couple of random other ones from around the screen if it feels like it.

Unsuprisingly, when I bring up Instant Access via the toolbar, I get no joy.

I know instant access is working, as it's fine with other apps.

What I'm wondering is - can anyone recommend an app which will allow me to
a) browse downloaded Chinese web content onto my T5
and
b) select text so I can use instant access?

I'm sure it would be possible to, for example, convert the html files into text documents - but it's an extra layer of hassle I'd like to avoid if possible.

Roddy

A

Anonymous

"instant" access

TealDoc does a great job in this regard.
Baoluo

A

Anonymous

Baoluo, that's great - pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I've now got both TealAgent and TealDoc installed, and have downloaded this weeks Nanfang Zhoumo, and I can use instant access - great stuff.

My only quibble with TealAgent is that it doesn't give you the inclusion / exclusion filters you get with Plucker. However, I can live with that.

Thanks again

Roddy

goulniky

榜眼
As a matter of fact, iSilo does a very fine job of copying/pasting. I have version 4.01 (latest is 4.15) and it can copy any part of the screen, entire screen, entire page, entire document with any mix of hanzi or ascii. I have a UX50 with a US version of PalmOS and CJKOS installed.
I also tried Tealdoc but I found that the PC docmaker utility can't compare with iSilo which has such a powerful crawler.
I just checked the iSilo forum on http://forum.isilo.com/ where there is some discussion regarding Chinese display for their ppc version and their use of Unicode vs Big5/GB. Not sure it applies to Palm but it may have to do with the encoding of the html pages you downloaded, you may want to ask them.

A

Anonymous

The TealAgent crawler does leave a lot to be desired - I do miss the include / exclude URL functions. However, the ability to clip parts of the page helps.

My problems with iSilo could well have been an encoding issue. Whatever it was, TealDoc doesn't suffer from the same problem.

On the topic of the encoding of the page, I'm finding (though have done no exhaustive research) that GB encoded pages are fine, but UTF-8 ones aren't. Does that match up with what others find?

Roddy