2.0.1 Beta 1 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any bug reports and feedback here. Please keep your new feature suggestions in the "Feature Suggestions" threads here or in the main 2.0 forum, this thread should only be used for bug reports / general comments on the new test release.

renovator

榜眼
Just finished putting 2.0.1b1 through its paces on HTC Touch Diamond with WM6.1 and it was an easy install and everything I could test works as described. No bugs, no crashes, no glitches; just perfect. Those little touches like checking for proper pinyin make a huge difference. Awesome job!!!!! - Thanks

I havn't had a chance to install it yet, but wow. I was not expecting 2.0.1 to have so many new features / improvements in it!

You get a high-five for the new automated scoring options, another for the ability to edit cards during sessions, and a low-five behind the back for enabling auto-recognize during free response sessions. I'm sure the other new vocabulary learning features will be appriciated by everyone who learns from large lists, too.

Oh, and would it be possible to move the audio button placement in popup windows away from the add card button? I keep adding new cards on accident with my fat thumb while trying to listen to popup-audio during flashcard sessions =( The right side would be easiest to reach since I'm right handed, but anywhere except next to the add flashcard button would be great ^^

Hi Mike

Thanx For The New Update.
I Really Like Being Able To Adjust The Audio Volume While In A Flashcard Session. 8)

Bug Report: Char Info Panel Has ReDraw Problems.
The Char Info Panel Has ReDraw Problems After Closing The PopUp Defn Window.

Platform: Palm T5
Software: PD2.0.1b1

The Duelist

BTW: I Would Still Like Access To A Some Sort Of Character Defn From The Stroke Order Test. :wink:

cming

秀才
Wow - many more features than I had expected - a mammoth effort.

Especially like the ability to "instantly" recognise after each stroke, as well as the extra scoring options. Have been using dictionary and flashcards for 2 hours, no crashes yet.

renovator

榜眼
It is a huge benefit to see that 2.0.1 now checks for proper pinyin in flash card input boxes. There is still a problem from time to time, however, as I go from one card to the next that all the boxes just advance by themselves in the new card with null values and count the card as an error. It would be great if the card was never considered done as long as all of the input fields had null values. This maybe would have to be an additional check box option (arrg) as some may think their cards are not working right when they don't know a word and just advance through the fields to get to the next word and don't mind the current word counted as an error. For those that want to go to the next card because they don't know the pinyin on the current card, they would at least have to make a stab at entering something into the input boxes rather than leave them with a null value.

This problem happens about one in every 80 cards

Hi Mike

I Like Having The Current Profile Name Shown As The Title Of The New Flashcard Session Dialogue.
Could This Also Be Shown As The Title Of The Advanced Settings (Flashcard) Dialogue?

TIA
The Duelist

mfcb

状元
hi mike,

congratulations on the 2.0.1b1, up to now no problems detected...

dont know if that feature was requested already, but i have a "last-minute" feature i would like to see in 2.0.1:
could you make the buttons "New Flashcard Session" in the flashcard dialog window and the button "start Session" in the flashcard session dialog
the default (initially focused) items? that way we could start the session with a function key from the main window and with 2 presses on the OK/enter button.

i hope i would not be already too much trained on the 2x arrow down before OK, as thats how i start my sessions since 2 or 3 weeks, dont know why i did not have the idea to suggest this feature earlier...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! Glad to hear the general impressions are positive. Many of the new features are meant to bring back features from 1.0, actually - the dictionary import screen is all about replacing MakePlecoDict, editing text in IA is also a 1.0 thing, and a lot of the flashcard enhancements are also 1.0-related (or at least trying to make up for the fact that flashcards in 2.0 are generally more complicated / confusing).

llammamama - good point about separating those buttons, but I'm not quite sure how we could arrange things so that the add-to-flash button wouldn't get hit accidentally - each of those buttons probably has at least a few people who use it heavily, I'm sure there are people who don't care about audio but don't want add-to-flash next to the entry scroll buttons, and people who'd object to having it next to the switch dictionary button. Really the best bet would probably be to allow people to custom configure those buttons like the ones in the main interface, but that'll have to wait until a bigger update.

The Duelist - yeah, I'm seeing those redraw problems here too now - looks like it has to do with the display resizing itself one too many times. With the definitions in stroke order, we had that suggestion written down but didn't implement it because you can already get a similar function with the Card Info button - does that work or do you need something larger? Good idea about putting profile names in the advanced screens too, though maybe with an "Adv:" or something in front of them.

cming - instant recognition was something we actually had in the beta-test versions of 1.0 on Palm but took out because with the switch to the Hanwang recognizer it started to seem too slow - strangely enough we never got around to testing it with WM before now, but it actually seems to run really well even on old WM2003 systems, so something we should have done a long time ago.

renovator - good idea, I guess we could add the option of having an alert when everything isn't filled in - it'll definitely have to be optional, though, so probably not something we can do in this release.

mfcb - good idea, adds convenience and doesn't really take any effort or cause any negative side-effects that I can think of.

cming

秀才
FLASHCARDS & DICT HWR INPUT SCREENS - Now that the "recognize" button has been moved closer to the input field, is it possible to get the best HWR match to display from right to left also? That would make it closer to choose the best match on screen. I've actually started using left-handed screens, which has a similiar effect (since on Left-handed screens the best match is always closest to the input box). Hopefully this would not require another checkbox.

ON the topic of Left-handed screens, I've noticed that the "recognise" button isn't close to the input field like it is now on the Right-handed screens (since 2.0.1B).

mikelove said:
With the definitions in stroke order, we had that suggestion written down but didn't implement it because you can already get a similar function with the Card Info button - does that work or do you need something larger?
The Definition In The Card Info Box Is Fine. :)
I Didn't Think To Look There For The Definition.
(However I Think A Popup Defn Would Be A Little More Consistent With The PD UI.)

Another Feature Suggestion:
Ability To Assign Hardware Buttons With A Context Of The Popup Defn Window.
eg. Prev/Next Defn,
Some Of The Popup Compound Word Lists Now Have 100s Of Entries.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
cming - good point on left-handed mode, we definitely should flip those buttons in that. Flipping the results I'm not as sure about, some people probably would prefer the current system (for the sake of reading in a comfortable left-to-right manner) so we'd have to add another new preferences option for that, though the reduced stylus movement would certainly be an advantage.

The Duelist - a popup definition would be more consistent, that's true, and would also show a few more lines of text than the cramped little Card Info box. Adding button assignments for the popup definition window would take a lot of new interface design, but maybe at least we could provide some basic way to scroll through entries (say the current system of scrolling between entries once you've reached the bottom of a definition).

radioman

状元
I am doing this from memory, but I believe I had this auto recognize character drawing thing (as I write the character). This was in the free entry portion of flashcards on the E2 where I am shown the definition and have to write the Hanzi.

What happens is that I write and can see a number of recommended characters. However, when I went to select one, it would not "take". Note that under this mode, I do not need to hit the character lookup button (making me think it should not even be shown in this mode).

If this explanation is not enough, I can dig in a bit more.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman - Not seeing that on a Palm here - was it set to "Instant" (so it recognizes after every stroke) or to work on a timer (so it recognizes after, say, half a second elapses without writing a new stroke)? Do you remember if the box the character was supposed to go into was highlighted (with an extra-thick border) or not?

radioman

状元
Sorry, I am not duplicating it here either at this point. It was with the instant recognition function on, but I am not seeing it now. I will try it some more.

FYI that the speed on the E2 for the look up seems not bad at all.

mfcb

状元
in the statistics screen of the flashcards it says "cards learned per day: 15 (learned: last 0 answers correct)" before i always had "13 (learned: last 3 answers correct)"

i my opinion it should not take the number of learned cards from the advanced settings, if that feature is not in use (unchecked). it should stay with the old default of 3... when i changed the number from 0 to 3 in the settings it went back to what i expected (limit # of unlearned still unchecked).

when i saw it first it surprised me that i have now 15, until i saw its with 0 answers correct :wink: hmmm, on second thought it is the only way to find out your personal maximum value, that could be reached :lol:

daniel123

榜眼
Thanks for the 2.0.1. it is really a great christmas gift. :)

I have one problem with the new feature HWR auto-rec: Instant: I like it very much, but each new character that was successfully recognized overwrites any existing character. So it is not possible to input multi character words but just one character words.

Wish everybody a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Daniel

cming

秀才
Hi Daniel123,

I found the same problem as yours, but try disabling the "Auto-enter best HWR match", and then it lets you input multiple characters.

At least it does on my HTC Touch pro.

Also I think the default for "learned" in flashcard statistics should be reset back to the value of 3.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman - OK, thanks! I'm glad to hear that you find the recognition speed OK.

mfcb - good point; right now any option that wasn't in the flashcard system when you originally created your flashcards is going to default to 0 the first time you use it, but we probably need a more robust system for managing new options / defaults, and in the meantime we could at least check for that illogical 0 when generating statistics reports and replace it with the default 3.

daniel123 / cming - yep, looks like that auto-enter setting isn't being disabled / ignored like it's supposed to be when instant recognition is on.