2.0.1 Beta 2 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

daniel123

榜眼
mikelove said:
daniel123 - still no idea about that - are the female files stored in the exact same directory as the male ones? Perhaps there's some issue with the code we added to make memory card-based files more stable.

Yes, all the files are in the same directory on the flashcard.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - odd, must be a stray - character somewhere or something along those lines.

cming - strange about that start-menu-hiding issue, must not be detecting the fact that it's been put in the foreground again. With the Touchflo disabling option, I didn't realize that actually was making a difference for people (don't think anyone mentioned it) - we can easily add it back as an option in the finished 2.0.1.

daniel123 - OK, guess we'd better double-check the code changes from 2.0 to 2.0.1 to see if there's anything else we might have forgotten.

anchan42

探花
Treo 680 and Ique 3600.
When I use hard key to play audio in flash card mode , the volume get reset to 1.

Are there any way I could make Pleco work with Ique long screen ? Third party software, maybe?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, it looks like somehow the button is being interpreted as "tap-hold and select the first item in the popup list" rather than just a tap. Very odd...

I think the iQue might use the same screen extension system that as Sony Clies did (remember reading that somewhere) so you might want to search around and see if there are any hacks for Clies that enable large-screen support - unfortunately it wasn't feasible to build support for that system into Pleco 2.0, we had a hard enough time just getting the basic Palm system for extended screens working (and it's still a bit quirky, as I'm sure TX/T5/Zodiac owners can attest).

marsch

举人
Hi. Seems like "only change score once a day" doesn't apply to difficulty. Design or bug? When I get a card wrong twice in one day, the difficulty also drops twice... Score is already 100 after the 1st time, so I didn't check that. Also not sure about increasing scores.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yikes, you're right - that should apply to difficulty too. Not sure how we missed that... should be fixed in b3 anyway.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Actually it looks like there already is a check to make sure that the difficulty isn't changed if the score isn't changed - I'd completely forgotten that was in there, but it is and has been since something like 2.0 Beta 5 or Beta 6. So there must be something else wrong here - are you sure that the change-once-a-day setting is actually active? And that the difficulty actually did go down? (since the scores were already at 100, it could be easy not to notice that you'd accidentally disabled that once-a-day option)

sinoreen

举人
hi Mike!
my palm crashes whenever I want to switch to another application by pressing a hardware button while a pop up is open in pleco.

renovator

榜眼
Hi Mike:

I still have the flashcard boxes fill themselves with null values by themselves from time to time (and card is marked as incorrect) as I move from one card to the next. Although 2.0.1b2 is much more stable than previous beta versions, it still happens about every 80-100 cards. Is it possible in next beta to require a value in each field before moving on to next card?

daniel123

榜眼
daniel123 said:
Still an issue with "Learned correct in a row" value.

First I fill in a value. For example 3. Card selection is Frequency adjust. While learning many new cards I sometimes switch this to Fixed. After learning some flashcards I swith back to Frequency adjust. Now the value of "Learned correct in a row" is reset to 0. Don't know if this is a bug but I think it would be more reasonable to restore the old value.

I have to correct it: This time I saw the same things but it affected only the male voice while the female voice was all right.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sinoreen - eek, yeah - wonder how we missed that. Nice and reproducible at least.

renovator - the problem with this is that it's caused by button bouncing (accidentally tapping on the Answer button right after tapping on the button to advance to a new card), which means we'd have to explicitly pop up an error message whenever you tried to process an answer without having all of the boxes filled in, which would be incredibly irritating for people who routinely skip over cards they don't know by just tapping on the Answer button without filling anything in. So it would require yet another new profile setting option, and that unfortunately isn't going to be a possibility in 2.0.1.

daniel123 - you mean the audio dropping-out bug, right? It's starting to sound like a memory issue now, either that or some sort of driver issue with too many SD card files being open at once. Try this: exit Pleco completely (Quit command, Dict menu), then move some of the smaller data files from \\Storage Card\Pleco to \\Program Files\Pleco - does that get rid of the problem?

renovator

榜眼
mikelove said:
renovator - the problem with this is that it's caused by button bouncing (accidentally tapping on the Answer button right after tapping on the button to advance to a new card), which means we'd have to explicitly pop up an error message whenever you tried to process an answer without having all of the boxes filled in, which would be incredibly irritating for people who routinely skip over cards they don't know by just tapping on the Answer button without filling anything in. So it would require yet another new profile setting option, and that unfortunately isn't going to be a possibility in 2.0.1.
OK, then how about requiring the blank square key under the back arrow key which now can be used to advance through null values on flashcard keyboard to be pressed for a valid null value. That way we would no longer be affected by the keyboard bounces that I believe are bouncing to the 答key by mistake.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Still an extra button tap - some people see a word they don't recognize and want to immediately mark it wrong and move on to the next one. Though that 答button really shouldn't be bouncing so much - we can take another look at that aspect of this at least.

mfcb

状元
found some strange main screen list behavior. if i press the "down" button pleco advances to the next dict entry (if the entry is without scrollbar, otherwise only after scrolling the entry to the bottom). thats expected, and works normal, but if i try to use the "up" button to scroll in the other direction, then i have to press it for seconds, to start moving (regardless of the size of the entry itself)...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Haven't seen that behavior here - are you sure there isn't some other program intercepting those button presses? Does the up arrow work normally in other programs?

daniel123

榜眼
mikelove said:
daniel123 - you mean the audio dropping-out bug, right? It's starting to sound like a memory issue now, either that or some sort of driver issue with too many SD card files being open at once. Try this: exit Pleco completely (Quit command, Dict menu), then move some of the smaller data files from \\Storage Card\Pleco to \\Program Files\Pleco - does that get rid of the problem?

Ok. I will try. I just wonder that this problem definitely does not occur with 2.0.0.

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
Haven't seen that behavior here - are you sure there isn't some other program intercepting those button presses? Does the up arrow work normally in other programs?

the only thing i wonder about then, that it happens only in the main list... it does not happen in the flash cards dialog/any other program.

still it might have to do with some third-party sw, ftouchsl comes into my mind...

sinoreen

举人
pleco creates a duplicated card (with setting "Keep Cats" whenever an FC for this headword and pinyin from a User C-E dict entry already exists and one taps on "Add to FC" for a currently displayed dict entry with same headword and pinyin from one of the Pleco built-in dicts.

Shadowdh

状元
Hi there, not sure if this is a bug or just part of the scenery... when I enter an english word into the search box and find what I am looking for and then highlight the Chinese and switch to the Chinese dicts, then I go back to the english dicts and from the drop down list select the english word again it goes back to the Chinese dicts... or am I missing a simple preference thing?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
daniel123 - 2.0.1 handles file opening a bit differently than 2.0.0 did, for the sake of much-improved stability when accessing files from memory cards which are accidentally removed / reinserted (or disappear when the device is put to sleep and take a long time to re-mount), so that could explain why the card slot driver would be under more stress than it was before.

sinoreen - strange, haven't seen this before but it's definitely happening - hopefully it'll be easy to fix.

Shadowdh - I'm seeing this intermittently here too - we made some improvements in that code in 2.0.1b1 but it looks like there's still a certain combination of events that can get it to switch languages when it's not supposed to.