2.0.1 Beta 3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any bug reports and feedback on the latest beta here. Please keep your new feature suggestions in the "Feature Suggestions" thread in the main 2.0 forum, this thread should only be used for bug reports / general comments on the new test release.

sinoreen

举人
hi Mike! it's great, thanx, everything works perfect now. I'm most happy about not getting any crashes anymore, as it happened quite frequently before (tapping on links in popups, switching out of Pleco when popup is opened)
also very happy about inverted duplicated alarm. just wondering why you didn't invert it for the the initial alert, which shows that the current display entry (if no FC existed so far) has been added to Default Category (in my case).
anyway, it's great!

marsch

举人
Hi. I re-imported my CME flashcards today. When I tried to delete the old CME category tree (three levels: "CME" / "Book 1" to "Book 5" / "Lesson 1" etc.), only the "CME" was deleted (which didn't have any flashcards), the other cats stayed in the DB. I had to manually delete "Book 1" to "Book 5" - then it would also delete the lessons.
Also, with the new threshold algorithm, sometimes my scores drop when I give a correct answer, e.g. from threehundred-something to 240 (my "scaled threshold" on aggressiveness 3, difficulty 60). Is that only an initial thing while the scoring system adapts to the algorithm, or a long-term issue?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sinoreen - great! The black background only appears in duplicate cards because a big part of the reason for adding it (at least the way I was thinking about it) was to make it clearer that this is a duplicate - also fits better as a more extensible design for errors down the line, we can use the same look to pop up other error messages in the future that aren't too serious / don't require a separate confirmation box.

marsch - eep, yeah, that scoring change isn't right - the "scale initial increases" and "scale decreases" options are actually supposed to be mutually exclusive now, but something seems to have been mixed up with the UI when we were fixing those settings-not-saving-correctly bugs. Anyway, in the finished 2.0.1 it will be impossible to check both of those boxes at the same time (should probably replace them with a popup list, actually) and for right now I'd recommend just turning off the "scale initial increases" option to get the same effect.

The reason for that change, incidentally, was that we realized that the whole idea of an "initial increase" doesn't really make sense if you're not resetting the card scores to 100 when you get them wrong - don't know how we didn't hit on that sooner, but even ignoring the problems with coming up with an algorithm to rectify the two systems, if the card's score is anything other than 100 then we're losing information when we set it to a fixed score based only on its difficulty - a card with a score of 40 and a card with a score of 200 shouldn't both have their scores set to 250 when you answer them correctly, even if they have the same difficulty.

johnh113

榜眼
Re: 2.0.1 Beta 3 Bug Report / Feedback Thread)

Dear Mike,

Ok, so maybe it's not a bug, but rather an enhancement request.

Using flashcards, under advanced, Definition parts, I have chosen Show All, which doesn't actually show all. So I would like the Show All to really show all, including the (儿). Or else, maybe a new option called "Really, Truly Show All." There are many examples of words that commonly have an 儿 sound at the end, and currently the flashcard "Show All" options strips off the optional 儿. See 粉条, 面条, 笔记本.

John

My problem with beta 2b always decreasing the score seems to have gone away with 2c

I had just reverified (after setting all settings to default) that it was still a problem, then installed beta 3, and retested. I only tested 4 cards, but they are scoring correctly now, so hopefully further testing will not come up with any thing.

mfcb

状元
i have a flashcard profile only for writing. i use it with 2 kinds of tests, one is limit scores 0 ... 500, 10 cards, max 5 new (3 times right), the second is all cards, no score limit, and #answers >0 , scoring is for both automatic, aggr 3.

since 2.0.1b3 (didnt try it with the other betas) my scores on those cards exploded from about 800 to >30000 ... my only explanation is that it almost looks like the scores got multiplied by 100, or even sometimes 1000. i did not change anything in the options for these flashcards between the different pleco versions, but just before i removed the "initial increase" check mark, as also the "decrease" was selected (automatically???)...
as far as i could make it out, it did not make any difference.

another difference i saw is that after 1 correct answer for a fresh card, the score now jumps to 400, where before it was much less. i had to review a card maybe 8 times until it left the <500 limit... i can change that to lets say 200000 limit, if its like that now, i just dont think its a change that was intended...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
johnh113 - those (儿)s created some really nasty problems for the flashcard database system (particularly when searching / counting lengths for multiple-choice tests), so we took them out until we could come up with a better way to deal with them. One thing we might be able to consider in a smaller update would be adding an option to pull the entire flashcard text from the dictionary entry, rather than pulling everything but the definition from database fields as we do now - that would give you the (儿) without screwing up the database schema.

stephanhodges - great! That turned out to be a settings problem, actually - the value for "decrease after" ? was actually set to 0 in your profile for some reason (even though it showed up as 1), which thanks to a missing OR clause in the flashcard score processing code led to the score being both increased and decreased after each correct answer.

mfcb - the score jump to 400 is normal, that's the default "first increase" interval for that aggressiveness, but I'm not sure about the other exploding scores - did this happen in just one test or after several? Was the "only change once per day" option checked?

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
mfcb - the score jump to 400 is normal, that's the default "first increase" interval for that aggressiveness, but I'm not sure about the other exploding scores - did this happen in just one test or after several? Was the "only change once per day" option checked?

i still have a backup of my flashcards db from before the upgrade to b3, would it make sense to send you the backup+the actual db ?

when i do my sessions i always keep an eye on the score (although i try to reduce this behavior) and i never saw a score like that before b3.
with b3 several cards came up first time with the score >10000, so it must have happened sometime in between my last test before b3 and the first in b3. that leaves not many options in my opinion, either the last version before b3 wrote the "high" score to the db already or the b3 made of the normal score somehow this "high" score...

sthubbar

榜眼
Don't know if this is a bug or know missing feature.

In 2.0.1b3 in flashcards under "Default - Advanced" there are several screens that have no help.

Cards
Controls
Tests

The following screens DO have help

Display
Scoring

daniel123

榜眼
Found a serious bug in Manage Flashcards changing of belonging categories:

1)Open Manage Flashcards
2) Select "category" and any category
2) Editing of an entry via "i"
3) Open Edit Cats

In many cases this will add all categories of another category group. In my case it adds 26 categories that I did not selected by myself and that I don't want to be selected. Always the same categories are added. It does not happen in all cases but those that are affected are reproducible.

By the way a change of changing categories by this way in beta3 is that this take much much longer than ever before (beta2 or all other version before). But the search in Manage Flashcards selection "category" is much faster than before.

If you cannot reproduce it I can send you my flashcard database.

sthubbar

榜眼
It also appears as if the help screen under "Preferences - Flashcards" is not the same as the available options.

In particular the help screen says something about leaving out sentences and that option isn't available.

I also don't see anything written about "Allow edits during sessions" in the help file.

sthubbar

榜眼
In PlecoDict 1.0.3 it is possible to assign the right shift key for Instant Access. It is recognized as code E001160D.

In Pleco 2.0.1b3 it does not seem to recognize the right or left shift keys.

sthubbar

榜眼
This seems like it can't be right.

When reviewing flashcards, using spaced-repition and graded score, when I select the wrong answer it gives me three choices 1,2,3, when I select the right answer it also gives me three choices 6,5,4. Why are the correct number backwards? It is quite disconcerting.

Are the numbers actually backwards in the calculation or are they just backwards in the display? I haven't investigated to figure out.

EDIT: I did a test and it does appear the buttons are backwards. The numbers displayed on the buttons are producing the correct result just they are in right to left order.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
mfcb - yes, if you could send that database along that would be very helpful, thanks!

sthubbar - the help screens aren't updated for 2.0.1 yet - same goes for the instruction manual, we want to make sure things are pretty much finished before we make those changes.

daniel123 - no need for the database, I know exactly what's causing this (the code we added to make sure newly-created child categories are selected in flashcard sessions when their parents are) - should be easy to fix in the next release. I'm glad to hear the "Category" search has gotten faster - consequence of that updated SQLite version I think (really some wonderful work by those folks).

sthubbar again - not sure about that shift key bug, we'll take a look at that on a Treo here. The 1/2/3 actually are deliberate, if you search some of the earlier beta feedback threads you'll see a couple of people requested that things work that way and after thinking about it we decided it made sense. It's not so much about the numerical order as it is about the "weight" of the score, a 1 is very low and a 6 is very high so those go on the left while the comparatively-mild 3/4 are together on the right. If you find it disconcerting, though, enable the option to "(show all)" next to "Prompt for quality" in the Scoring panel of Advanced Settings and that will show you all 6 scores each time in the correct order.

sthubbar

榜眼
I like the idea of their only being 3 choices. It makes the selection area small, about the same as just selecting a check or X with one more choice thrown in the middle.

How hard would it be to have an option of either listing 6,5,4 or 4,5,6? I understand the logic that you choose. It just doesn't seem right to me when I see 6,5,4 and have to convince my mind that 6 comes before 5. Also for consistency things over to the left are bad ie 1 and 4 and things to the right are good, like 3 and 6.

johnh113

榜眼
mikelove said:
johnh113 - those (儿)s created some really nasty problems for the flashcard database system (particularly when searching / counting lengths for multiple-choice tests), so we took them out until we could come up with a better way to deal with them. One thing we might be able to consider in a smaller update would be adding an option to pull the entire flashcard text from the dictionary entry, rather than pulling everything but the definition from database fields as we do now - that would give you the (儿) without screwing up the database schema.?

Dear Mike,

That sounds good.

John

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar - not hard to add the option, it's just that the interface is so darn cluttered already that I always hate to add any more checkboxes. I suppose we could consider replacing the "show all" checkbox with a popup list, though - along with making more sense for some people it might also be better for some left-handed users - the doors are shut on even this sort of change in 2.0.1 now, but maybe in 2.0.2 we can think about it.

johnh113 - OK, this could also be a possibility in 2.0.2. BTW, have you noticed any improvement in the Tuttle remapping? I did a test with 合 ge3 and it seemed to stick to the ABC like it was supposed to.

Mator

秀才
Hey Mike,

Just noticed a problem in beta 3 with the score files. The program keeps changing the default score file for each profile as you move around in advanced settings - if you go back and forth to the scoring tab the score file changes everytime and when in a flashcard session I always get the wrong scorefile used. I tried several backup flashcard files, but they all did the same thing. I then tried beta 2 with the same flashcard files and the problem stopped. I redownloaded beta 3 and installed it again with no change.

Thanks, Mator

sthubbar

榜眼
Think I found another one for you Mike. :)

It looks like the dictionary gets stuck after doing a pinyin search.

Here is how it can be reproduced.

1) Select the ABC dictionary and type in 'r'. Now select next entry a few time, then select previous entry many times. The previous entry should stop at the entry 'r' and refuse to go earlier in the dictionary since there is still an 'r' on the seach line.
2) Now clear the command line and try and press the "previous entry" buttons. I believe that in 1.0 it will now go to the previous entry like "q-something or other". 2.0 seems still stuck thinking I'm searching for r.

If I switch dictionaries and come back to the ABC dictionary, the "r" entry is still there, although now when I press "previous entry" it goes to "Qun2ji2" as I would expect.