2.0.1 Beta 4 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Post any bug reports and feedback on the latest beta here. Please keep your new feature suggestions in the "Feature Suggestions" thread in the main 2.0 forum, this thread should only be used for bug reports / general comments on the new test release.

sinoreen

举人
hi Mike! I found two things:
First, after setting the "Delay before search" to "Button only" in the Results Tab of preferences, after closing preferences it works, but as soon as I open preferences again it is automatically switched back to "None". So each time I want to change some preferences (which happens quite frequently) I would have to again go to the Results Tab to change the "Delay before search" settings.
Secondly and more importantly, with "Delay before search" set to "Button only", searches in pop ups (with Edit Box enabled) as well as the Edit Card Screen in Manage FCs (when I want to Add a new Card in the "From Dict" Tab) do not work, because there simply isn't a search button. (no matter whether Input Field Compatibility is enabled or not).
Maybe I just didn't get it right and there is actually an easy setting or check box that I just missed.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Heh, forgot that option was still in there actually - it's too late to do anything about this for 2.0.1, since fixing it would have the potential to create other / bigger problems, but should be easy enough to get working correctly in 2.0.2. Thanks.

mfcb

状元
hi mike,

this time definitely, i made a new category on the weekend (200902) and made it my default category. its a sub-category of "2009". the category 2009 is checked (so all sub-categories are also checked) in my flashcard profiles.

after i added some words over the last few days, yesterday i got the feeling, that i am not tested on these cards. i opened the category tab and saw, that the "200902" category is checked. i started a new session (was already finished with all cards for the day, rep spaced) and i got the 28 cards from the new category, all of them for the first time.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... that helps to triangulate the problem a bit, actually, since it explains both this and some earlier category-selection bugs. It sounds like it relates to a bit of code that actually hasn't changed since Beta 8 - as with sinoreen's bug I think this is probably best saved for 2.0.2, since changing that code definitely has the potential to create problems elsewhere, but it should hopefully be fixed in the first release of that. (which hopefully won't be too far away)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sinoreen - we couldn't fix the issue with there being no search button in the Edit Card and Popup Defn screens in time for 2.0.1, but we did manage to fix the problem with the preference not saving correctly at least. We also tweaked the Edit Card / Popup Defn screens to update search results instantly (no delay) when the main screen is set to use the button, so they'll be usable with that option enabled at least, if a little halting-prone.

marsch

举人
Hi Mike. I know it's impossible, but difficulty of flashcards still consistently gets reduced twice in one day, despite "Only change once" being clicked.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Finally figured that one out, actually, or at least I think we did - the card's score is already at 100 when you answer it incorrectly again, right? The "last decreased time" value wasn't being re-set if the score didn't actually change - a < in the code where there should have been a <=. So this should be corrected in the soon-to-be-posted finished version of 2.0.1.

sthubbar

榜眼
Found another one that I can regularly reproduce. I'm not positive on all the necessary conditions so if you can't reproduce it let me know and I'll give more details.

PROBLEM

Editing custom entry characters causes the whole character line to be repeated.

DETAILS

1) I think Input compatibility mode must be disabled (not positive on this)
2) This seems to only affect long custom flashcard entries that are using the custom card, not a user dictionary. By long maybe 20 characters or so.

This is what I do to reproduce the problem. I'm not sure how many of these steps are critical.

1) Select an existing long custom flashcard and edit it.
2) Select the simplified character portion and then select the 入 character to enter handwriting mode.
3) I found this by trying to replace the next to last character, though I'm not sure if that matters.
4) Highlight the next to last character
5) Draw some new character and wait for it to be recognized
6) Tap one of the recognized characters and it should replace the next to last character.
7) Press done and now you should notice that the last character is duplicated.

Originally I thought this bug was just duplicating the last character, it wasn't until later that I realized it was duplictating the complete line of characters.

Hope you can figure this out.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This unfortunately has enough potential to cause unintended consequences that we can't fix it for 2.0.1 (the finished packages for which will go live probably tomorrow night), but we can try to fix it for 2.0.2. I'm not actually seeing it here, though - are you sure input field compatibility is disabled? Does it happen when entering characters using the radical or keyboard methods as well?

sthubbar

榜眼
Yes, it is definitely with Input compatibility mode disabled.

I am consistently seeing this on 23+ character entries.

I may have missed a key point.

After you press the "Edit Card" button and before you press 入, highlight the next to last character and then press 入。 Then you are taken to the handwriting recognition screen and you'll have to re-highlight the next to last character and then do the handwriting recognition. I don't see how highlighting it first and then pressing 入 is messing things up, though I think it might be.

sinoreen

举人
mikelove said:
sinoreen - we couldn't fix the issue with there being no search button in the Edit Card and Popup Defn screens in time for 2.0.1, but we did manage to fix the problem with the preference not saving correctly at least. We also tweaked the Edit Card / Popup Defn screens to update search results instantly (no delay) when the main screen is set to use the button, so they'll be usable with that option enabled at least, if a little halting-prone.

great, that sounds good enough to me. thanx

sthubbar

榜眼
I'm a little reticent to post more bugs for fear it will just convince you more to drop the Palm support sooner. :cry:

Instant Access appear not quite read for primetime.

DETAILS

Don't know how else to put it. My impression is that the Instant Access feature has quite a few oddities and it seems to even not match up to the performance of Instant Access in Pleco 1.0. Maybe this is known so I'll just list some general oddities I'm seeing and then you can let me know if these are already known or maybe by design.

1) Shift keys can't bring it up like used to be able to in 1.0. Already mentioned. I finally figured out I can switch my IME to shift key and use Alt for Instant Access
2) Have "clipboard" selected. I pretty much can't get Instant Access to work. When I press the 'Alt' key the screen goes compeletly white blank and luckily I can press the phone key to get out of whatever is going on. I revert to 'experimental' to get some funcionality
3) Does not work withing the Palm calendar program at all. I press 'alt' key and absolutely nothing happens.
4) I haven't used the reader at all so I don't even know what it is. I highlighted more than 8 characters and press 'Alt' and a dictionary search is still performed, unlike what I was expecting and some reader was going to appear.
5) Ignores Pleco preferences. I seem to already have noticed that preferences set in Pleco have no affect in Instant Access For example:
a) Search dictionaries in order. Instead it just uses whatever was last dictionary used.
b) Clear search text on language switch. Does not get cleared.
6) After using Instant Access a few times, I went back into Pleco and dropped down the Dict menu and the text was all garbled and it was showing some previous window or something.

That has been my initial impression of Instant Access.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sthubbar - OK, I'm seeing it now; I think I've got a pretty good idea where the problem is, too, though still not fixable until the first 2.0.2 beta since there's definitely the potential for some unintended consequences there.

sinoreen - great!

sthubbar again - Instant Access actually wasn't supposed to be in 2.0 on Palm at all, we thought it was technically impossible but then we figured out a hack that would let us do it (under threat of an outright riot among customers if we dropped it). It definitely falls in the category of beta / experimental features, though, and even if we weren't planning on dropping Palm support I don't know any way we could get it working as well as in 1.0.

The reader option only applies to a normal launch, not to Instant Access - it's for the "search for clipboard on open" feature. The other issues mostly sound like consequences of the hack we used.

And don't worry, bug reports aren't really going to change the Palm OS version's fate at this point - we'll support it for the 2.0.x updates as promised but drop support for it in 2.1. About the only thing that could change that now would be if Palm announced they'd had a change of heart and were adding full, built-in, well-implemented support for running legacy Palm OS software on the Pre, which given their public statements on the subject seems highly unlikely.

sthubbar

榜眼
Should mixed hanzi and pinyin searches work? I thought they used to work in 1.0.

In particular I was searching for 喇叭 using hanzi and then added hua in pinyin and nothing changed and even if I page through entries it pretty much seems to ignore the hua. Is that expected behavior?

It would be nice to be able to do mixed searches.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
They do work, but as in 1.0 they only let you mix Pinyin and characters in the first two syllables; it's a data file size problem, basically, the index data required to get mixed character/Pinyin searches working in any position in a word would add a couple of megabytes to the size of our dictionary databases. So "喇叭hua" won't work, but "喇bahua" or "la叭花" would.

koreth

榜眼
I have been lazy and haven't upgraded, but I don't see this on the list of fixes for the final release, so:

I'm noticing that some of my long-time flashcards are getting their scores reset lately. It just happened to me, in fact. Here's what the card info says now:

忙 mang (A) busy
Scorefile: Default
Created: 2/23/06 10:39 am
Reviewed: 2/23/09 8:55 am (note, exactly 3 years since creation, if that's relevant)
Score: 400
Last 10: 100%
Record: 25-0
Difficulty: 104
Categories: Zi, User Dict Cards, R+W Chinese, Spoken

I happened to look at the info for this one before answering it, and its score was 20900 with a last review date in 2008 (didn't note the exact date but it seemed about right). I scored it a "6" then went back and the score was like the above. I know from recent experience that I'll see this card again in 4 days when I'd really like to see it again in more like a year.

I don't remember this happening before beta 4. Oddly, I also don't remember it happening WITH beta 4 until the last week or so, but it's possible I just didn't happen to get any really old cards for the first couple weeks after installing it.

My cards are set to repetition spacing, 100 points per day, automatic scoring, aggressiveness 3, difficulty scaling "First Increase", prompt for quality, only change once per day.

Hopefully this is fixed in the final release and all I have to do is upgrade...

koreth

榜眼
Oh, one thing I *have* changed recently, though I can't imagine it's relevant, is that I added key mappings for the scores of 1-6. I guess the timing of that more or less corresponds to me starting to see this issue. However, for the card above, I used the onscreen "六" button, not the keyboard.

johnh113

榜眼
koreth said:
I have been lazy and haven't upgraded, but I don't see this on the list of fixes for the final release, so:

I'm noticing that some of my long-time flashcards are getting their scores reset lately. It just happened to me, in fact.

I don't remember this happening before beta 4. Oddly, I also don't remember it happening WITH beta 4 until the last week or so, but it's possible I just didn't happen to get any really old cards for the first couple weeks after installing it.

My cards are set to repetition spacing, 100 points per day, automatic scoring, aggressiveness 3, difficulty scaling "First Increase", prompt for quality, only change once per day.

Hopefully this is fixed in the final release and all I have to do is upgrade...

Dear Mike,

I've seen the same thing, although I just thought it was me hitting the wrong button while I was walking. I'm getting a few, not many, scores reset even though I answer them correctly. I'm using repetition spacing, 100 points per day, manual scoring. I've seen nothing that resembles a pattern, but I'll start looking.

John

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
koreth - it wouldn't explain the difficulty change, but one possible explanation that comes to mind is that you might have accidentally triggered the "Score" command somehow (say with an incorrect button assignment) - by default that sets the score back to 100, so if you haven't actually enabled the button but nonetheless pressed the key command for it that would have reset the score.

Aside from that, have you done any other batch card-changing operations lately? Or imported a bunch of new cards? Or created a new profile / scorefile? Or rolled back (with Undo) a card import?