2.0.1 Beta 4 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

koreth

榜眼
I haven't done any mass operations on flashcards lately, no, nor done any of the other things you mentioned.

My key mappings for flashcards ("Buttons" button on the flashcards preferences panel) are "Scroll Defn Up", "Scroll Defn Down", "Score 1", "Score 2", "Score 3", "Score 4", "Score 5", and "Score 6". Those should all be safe, yes? And in any case I didn't hit any keys at all in this case; I'm quite certain about that.

koreth

榜眼
It just happened again. This time I wrote down the card info before and after, and I observed something that may be important.

Before:
Created 2/18/06 9:06am
Reviewed 7/29/08 2:58pm
Score 20900
Last 10 100%
Record 24-0
Difficulty 100
Category Ci, User Dict Cards, RWC Phrases

After: (the same unless noted)
Reviewed 2/23/09 10:25pm
Score 400
Record 25-0
Difficulty 104

I didn't hit any hard buttons and I scored myself a "6".

The critical extra piece of info: I am pretty sure this is the first time I've hit this card since upgrading from PlecoDict 1.x (I wasn't running 2.0 in July of last year). That is very likely also true of the other cards I've had this happen with recently.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
The fact that this is the first test since upgrading could definitely explain this - are you using one of the new "Difficulty scaling" options in Scoring? In hindsight I really think we should held off on those until a later version, they've created way too many problems... anyway, if you are using one of those, turn it off and that should clear this up.

If that's not the problem, perhaps it's some other change we made in 2.0.1 - johnh113, any chance this problem might be limited to cards you've just started working on in 2.0.1 as well?

koreth

榜眼
My (very superficial) testing seems to confirm that turning off difficulty scaling stops this problem from happening. I'll just leave it turned off until I see a fix for this mentioned in a future set of release notes. Thanks!

radioman

状元
I am loading my flashcards for review and using a filter. The number of 160 cards comes up. Sounds about right. Screen reads "1 of 160" and I am starring at the first card, all looks good, then I hit the big button to go to the next card per usual, now it reads 2 of 2. one more press and I am out of the session. I am wondering if this has been observed before or if there is any ideas on how to fix it before I start wholesale resets, etc.

EDIT - OK once again, I have run into the situation where the date on my palm was set wrong, creating the errors with the flashcards. Once reset, it appears to be operating properly again.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
OK, no problem then. Though it's still odd that they would behave in that particular way, once it's started the session it doesn't do any re-checking of the dates on the cards it's decided to include... maybe we need to try screwing up the clock on a test model here and see if we can reproduce the problem :)

radioman

状元
Yes, I would advise throwing in totally rediculous dates, either for the Pleco flashcard deck datestamp, or the handheld device operating system, or both. Maybe have some check that if you are running a deck that is date stamped more than x days from last use, or x days from compilation of the latest Pleco executable, the user can then select to proceed and not be asked again, etc.

It obviously would help me as I seem to have a nack for getting myself into these situations :oops:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I don't know if we'd specifically add a feature to deal with a screwed-up system clock (that seems like it could cause more problems than it fixes), but we could at least see if screwing up the system clock flushes out any other bugs.