2.0.2 Beta 1 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

radioman

状元
Sorry, but View Preferences is located where? Palm Base Operating System / Pleco / Filez?

mikelove said:
radioman - open up the "View Preferences" screen, scroll through / open each of the "Pleco" items, and "Export" each of them to a file (the first one listed will probably contain most of the important preferences, but you might as well export them all to be safe). Copy / backup those files and then you can reimport them (I believe that's using a menu command, haven't got a Palm handy right now to double-check) back onto your new / reset Palm.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It's in FileZ, one of the options on the opening screen (if you open FileZ and it goes right to a file list, tap "Close" to go back to that screen).

radioman

状元
Unfortunately, on Filez, all I see is "View and Edit Files" and "Memory Card Info". the options it provide is only "Hotsync Details". Maybe I am missing something or running an old version of Filez?

On another issue, is it possible in the flashcard mode on the Palm (or other future product releases) to add to the speaker icon an additional mute level? Right now, if I run a flashcard session and press and hold the speaker icon, it brings up the various volume levels, but does not provide a way to press "zero" (i.e., mute). I know I can turn the volume off through the Palm and probably even Pleco preferences, but this would be convenient to be able to kill the volume right on the icon.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, try getting the latest version from nosleep.net. Good idea about a mute option in flashcards, though it's a little problematic since some session types might be dependent on the audio (i.e., no other way to get that information), in which case you'd need to restart the session anyway - might be better to use the device's built-in mute switch until the mute-requiring situation ends.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Yeah, try getting the latest version from http://nosleep.net. Good idea about a mute option in flashcards, though it's a little problematic since some session types might be dependent on the audio (i.e., a test where you just hear the audio and are prompted to enter characters, so there's no other way to get that information), in which case you'd need to restart the session anyway - might be better to use the device's built-in mute switch until the mute-requiring situation ends.

Palm Tapcis

Scoring definitely carries across different profiles for me.

Set up new category "Score" and added 4 random words. I have four profiles, each with it's own score file. Hanzi - HanziScores, Meaning- MeaningScores, etc.

Ran once and answered yes to 2, no to 2. This increased score on "yes", and decreased score on "no".
Manage, and look at scores. Switching profiles on the manage screen shows 100 for all other profiles, and correct scores on the Hanzi profile (top/default)
Ran second test, switching to Meaning profile. Selected same Score category of course.
On first appearance, card has score from the Hanzi profile. I answered Yes/No, one same and one different from previous for each of the four cards. Looking back at cards, the scores are being applied in reverse. If I answer "no" it increases the score. (This is wrong, should decrease!). Also, it increased it from the Hanzi profile value, not the value shown when looking at "Manage Cards". If I answer "yes" (meaning I know it), it decreased the score (marking it as "not known".

All cards showed this strange behavior. This is the same thing I've been seeing. I saw it in the previous version too, I believe. Perhaps you can try with the files I sent you?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well that's odd, there definitely seem to be scores in several different scorefiles for your cards - I don't suppose there's any chance that those profiles might all still have the same scorefile selected in the "Scoring" tab of Advanced Settings, is there? Perhaps shifted back to that same scorefile by some sort of UI bug?

I've triple checked scorefiles against profiles, created new profiles AND new scorefiles at the same time, etc. Nothing "fixes" the problem. Perhaps there's some combination of my configuration. I take it from your response that you don't see ANY of this behavior <sigh>.

radioman

状元
In the reader I use mixed hanzi english text. Is there any way to scroll one line at a time even through english?

Also maybe brought up before, but if I use numbers for pinyin marks, Tuttle dictionary still comes up with tone marks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
stephanhodges - not seeing it, but I'm only testing on the simulator at the moment (on a short trip and forgot to pack a Palm) - I'll take a look at it with the real thing when I get back.

radioman - there's no way to scroll line-by-line with English, the reader isn't really designed for English yet - certainly something to add in the future though. And yes, the Tuttle thing is a known problem - at the moment only the ABC has its example sentence Pinyin coded up to render in tone numbers / Zhuyin / etc, it's trickier with other dictionaries because the data files generally aren't in as pristine condition as the ABC ones.

sthubbar

榜眼
When performing a full-text search the behavior of the "Back" button and "Previous Entry" button have different behavior in that the "Back" button causes the full-text search to be aborted, yet the "Previous Entry" button does not abort the full-text search.

It seems desirable to maintain the full text search even after using "Back", especially since the search line still displays the full-text search.

So, to further elaborate, if during a full-text search, I press "Previous Entry" I will see the last search result within the current dictionary and then "Next Entry" will display the next search result in the current dictionary, and the result will be highlighted in both cases.

If during a full-text search, I press "Back" I will see the last search result, though the result will not be highlighted. Now pressing "Next Entry" just goes to the next dictionary entry and ignores the search line which still display the full-text search text.

The reason why it is significant to me to maintain the search result is because if I want to go back in my search results and the results span dictionaries, the "Previous Entry" will not span dictionaries, though "Back" will span dictionaries.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's fair, but very tricky to fix on the programming side of things - we'd have to save out a bunch of additional data in the back/forward history list to enable this, either some sort of flag indicating whether a given entry resulted from the current search (which means we'd be constantly setting / resetting that flag in the list) or store the text of the word to look for / highlight with every entry. So this might be doable, but not for a while.

sthubbar

榜眼
Got another pinyin bug for ya.

In the TL dictionary entry 尽管 copy the pinyin jin3guan3 from the first example sentence to the input line and it should get converted to ji3nguan3. I have also seen it even more weird when put into a custom card it was something like ji3ngu5a5n3.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
This one seems to have been covered by the other fixes to Pinyin we've made for 202b2 - it copies out OK on a test system here anyway.

sthubbar

榜眼
OK. You may have to enable "Input Compatibility" since I always have that turned on.

BTW, I'm pretty sure there is some hard to replicate bug in the flashcard system. The issue is that I was reviewing flashcards and it showed 78/79 cards completed, yet it also showed that I was at the end of the cards by showing the message "You have reviewed all your cards and now we will review the ones you missed." I have a feeling that I have had this happen before, just that a couple of days ago I for sure saw that the counter was off by one at the end of the list.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That might be because the last card was rejected / skipped over because it was invalid (missing headword / pronunciation / definition) - not much we can do about that, unfortunately, validating every card in advance would make sessions take a lot longer to start.