2.0.3 Beta 2 + Updated ABC Bug Report / Feedback Thread

Alexis

状元
radioman said:
I must be missing something but, what is an ABC Flashcard List?

It's a 4-level graded vocabulary list based on data from the ABC dictionary. For use with the flashcards. The original is on the "Pleco 2 add-on files" page.

radioman

状元
Various -

1) Minor - When I am the dictionary and then go to input a character using the handwriting screen, I cannot see where the cursor position is on the top line where the final characters are displayed.

2) In the dictionary, if I highlight a bunch of text (say Hanzi, Pinyin, English from a sample sentence) and want to make a flashcard, I then go into the flashcard module and first paste the whole thing into the definition section (which appears to be the largest so I use it for data manipulation. From there I can cut the text and move it to the Hanzi position, Pinyin, or leave/modify it right there in the definition section.
- the first thing is that the scrollbar for that section never shows (the text is still there but cannot see it). I figure this is because the original application didn't contemplate large pasting.
- second (brought up before...) would there be a way to enlarge the edit window to full screen for this?

I am thinking that it would be great if there was a simple way to have the choice on the dropdown menu to (1) copy to highlighted text to reader... and (2) copy highlighted text to a flashcard (which would then simply dump the text into the definition section for "editing" as the user see's fit). Or maybe just say copy to clipboard A, copy to Clipboard B and Copy to Clipboard C... prior to going to the flashcard module where definitions, pinyin, and hanzi could be directly pasted into their respective sections.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
1) This is actually intentional - hiding the insertion point tricks PenPower into thinking that the handwriting input box is a screen without a text input field, causing it to disable itself and hence not intercept / recognize people's pen movements when they try to draw characters. There's a checkbox in the "Input" panel of Preferences to turn this off / restore the insertion point, but we have it work this way by default since that's what it was in 1.0; we made the mistake of taking it out in 2.0.0 and ended up getting a ton of tech support e-mail from people who were suddenly finding they couldn't use handwriting input the way they had before. (PenPower ships built-in on a lot of Palms and many people aren't even aware it's there)

2) Strange about that scrollbar - that is indeed happening because we didn't expect large pasting. It's too late to fix that in 2.0.3, but we can add it to the list of things to check for 2.0.4 anyway. The Edit Card / Edit Entry screens certainly could be resized for landscape displays, but we may not get around to that until we start working on official support for sentence-length flashcards. At which point there may be some sort of mechanism for automatically creating flashcards from entry example sentences, at least in ABC/ACE.