2.0.4 Beta 5 Bug Report Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 - understood. We'll do some more tests and hopefully get to the bottom of this for the next WM version update. (which will likely be beta-ing at around the same time that we're testing 2.2 on iPhone, and should hopefully include the long-awaited full-text search in user dictionaries)

stephanhodges - hmm, hadn't seen that - might have to do a 2.0.4.1 or somesuch on Palm to fix bugs. (still selling about 1 copy a week of 2.0 on Palm OS, amazingly enough)

Trobert

秀才
I consider this to be a bug with a very negative impact on my user experience: When I see a dictionary entry I like with a great sample sentence, I click "add to flashcards". When I review my cards, I get a card that is taken from another dictionary, yet when I click on the flashcard info button, Pleco shows the card as being the one I chose from the dictionary I wanted. This is maddening as it is often difficult to learn how to use a new word without context, and usually the flashcards it then gives me are the ones without any sentence and a short definition. Not only that, I speak German as a foreign language, so often I want the handedict entry. I recommended Pleco to a German friend, and he is annoyed at this as well, as he always gets English defs for cards he saved as German (To be clear, I get the flashcard switcheroo on all cards, not just the German ones). It seems to me that Pleco spent too much time with all those power user features that probably no one uses at the expense of a finding and fixing a major problem.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Go into Advanced Settings / Display - is "Force defns from dicts" turned on? If so, turn it off and that should fix this.

Otherwise, the problem may be that you're creating a card that's a duplicate of another card that's already there (did you import a bunch of new cards from a text file when you first got Pleco?), in which case the software keeps the original card rather than creating a second card for the same headword - if you want to change that behavior, go into Preferences / Flashcards and set "Duplicate cards" to "Allow."

To find all of the cards that link to the dictionary you don't like and remap them to the dictionary you do like, you can use the remapping feature in Manage Flashcards - open up Manage Flashcards, choose "Advanced" from the menu at the top left corner of the screen, search for cards where "dictionary" is equal to the dictionary you don't like, then tap on the "Batch" button at the bottom of the screen, choose the dictionary you do like from the menu next to "Remap to dict," and tap on the "Remap to dict" button to convert all of those cards (or any that have corresponding entries) to the new dictionary. (one of those "power user" features you're so unhappy about)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Another possibility is that Pleco might actually be showing you the entry from the correct dictionary, but with example sentences hidden - it hides them in some dictionaries (PLC and ABC) by default since that make it easier to rapidly scan through the definitions for complicated words. To turn off that behavior, go into Advanced Settings / Display and set "Definition Parts" to "Show All."

Trobert

秀才
A+ for the quick response! Right now it seems your first suggestion has worked. Thanks!

Don't get me wrong, I love Pleco and I have helped sell at least 4 copies. Now that this is sorted out you will probably sell one more to another friend of mine next week. I think the flashcard menus are too complicated, though. There are nine buttons and a pull-down menu. Altogether the system probably contains more than 200 checkboxes, buttons and pulldown menus. I read through the manual once, I get the feeling it must be studied like a textbook, once isn't really enough. I kinda sorta get it now. The friend who will buy it next week is 44 years old, I think she will have a hard time dealing with the flashcard system. It is going to be difficult trying to explain it to her. The version one system was adequate for me, more idiot proof. Maybe I just don't know what I am missing.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Great! Do you remember ever turning that "Force defns from dicts" option on? It's off by default, and I'm worried there could be an obscure bug somewhere that caused it to be activated without your knowledge.

Thanks for the word-of-mouth. You're quite right that there are a confusing array of options, but we try to make it so that you can ignore the ones in Advanced Settings if you're not ready to deal with them - without those the system gets considerably easier to manage. But there are even free programs on iPhone now with most of the features from our version 1 flashcard system, so while we certainly could do a better job of streamlining the options / presenting the most interesting ones in an easier-to-understand way, backtracking on new features isn't really an option at this point if we want to be able to continue to justify paying for our software.

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

Since I don't know when I need to restart Plecodict after standby otherwise I can not use the handwriting recognition - there are just no results. Flashcards can also not be found. It seems there is a problem with finding the SD-Card.

I am using a Dell Axim X51v 128MB RAM with Win Mo 6.1 (I guess latest dynamit edition) Pleco 2.04 most files on a transcend 2GB SD-Card (besides Pleco.exe and PlecoHWR.dll)

Any ideas? -->highly appreciated!

Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Did you move the handwriting recognition library to your SD card by any chance? That's a big no-no - it has to stay in \\Program Files\Pleco or else it won't work reliably.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... and your flashcard database is in internal memory (\\My Documents) as well? Sounds like there might be something else wrong here, then - you've tried soft resetting your device (remove / reinsert the battery), right? Are Pleco's other functions still working normally - can you for example still drag the scroll bar to the top / bottom of all entries in the ABC dictionary?

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

No - the flashcards were on SD. Moved them to My Documents and softreset the device (not so keen on keeping data that changes regularily on the device ...). Now - not really sure if it was different before - I turn on Pleco, use handwriting recognition - it works, I turn it off, turn it on, try to use handwriting recognition and Pleco crashs completely without further notice (sktools tells me there is no pleco process any more).
Since I know that the DELL Axim has difficulties finding the SD-Card after sleep mode I waited a long time after switching it on but it does not help.

Did you read that I do not use a stock ROM? For all other Software that does make the PDA more stable - not less. The upgraded RAM should also help the stability, not make it worse ...

Not sure if I am writing in the right thread at all. The version no says: 2.0.4

best regards
Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Keeping flashcards on SD is unreliable because WM's SD card drivers have never worked right, so it's actually safer to have them in internal memory.

It really really sounds like Pleco is accessing the HWR library from the card, though - any chance there might be another copy of it on there, maybe in a backup directory? That would perfectly explain the problem - WM can't deal with DLLs being accessed from SD cards, once the device sleeps it permanently loses access to the DLL and can't find it again.

daniu

榜眼
Hi!

hmmmm :oops:

Well - did not think that Pleco checks the whole SD Card for files. There was a copy of all installation data on the card. Removed it and Pleco works like always ...

Sorry! And thank you for your help!
Daniel

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No problem! Not ideal programming on our side - it ought to default to the internal memory one.

BTW, I've now locked this thread since 2.0.4 hasn't actually been in beta for a while - not a big deal, but future bug reports on it should go in the regular WM Pleco forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.