2.0.4 Beta 5 Bug Report Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Bit too late to fix that now, unfortunately - everything's already been checked out / uploaded - but we'll put it on the bug list for 2.0.5, which definitely shouldn't take as many months to come out as 2.0.4 did :)

HW60

状元
In flashcard Free Answer mode, test on writing, the cursor switches to the first character input box, when you open or close a software keyboard. As I sometimes open the software keyboard to prevent Pleco from "scratching" while I write characters, this is sometimes annoying. I do not know if Pleco is responsible for the loss of focus, however.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Looks like it has something to do with the screen layout changing - we'll see if we can fix this for 2.0.5. Thanks!

HW60

状元
In Manage Flashcards / Advanced / Duplicate it takes more than 10 seconds until Pleco shows the duplicate flashcards. As I do not know if Pleco is working or not I hit the ok button to start the search - and Pleco shows the result for half a second and switches back because the search had been going on. It would be helpful if Pleco could somehow show being busy or not.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Good point, though in general, if we have a limited amount of time to spend on WM development I'd rather work on larger issues like finger-friendliness rather than UI polish matters like this. Though at the very least we could keep that button from starting another search once one is already in progress...

HW60

状元
In fullscreen handwriting input mode, I cannot enter characters when one of the dictionaries GF, RAD or ACE is selected - there is no problem using the other dictionaries.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not seeing this here - what do you mean by "cannot enter characters," do the results come up correctly in the handwriting box but not get transferred to input when you tap on them? If you enable "Auto-enter best HWR match" in the Input panel of Preferences, does that help matters any?

HW60

状元
I cannot enter characters, because the HWR is not active at all. With a long dictionary entry before entering, I even scroll the whole definition text up or down. When I start drawing a character, the definition text does not fade to gray. The ON button is green and not red or OFF ...

All boxes in Manage Dicts are active ("only as fallback" is never active). In the input panel of preferences nothing was marked, and marking "Auto-enter best HWR match" did not change anything.

While I am writing, I just remembered that some months ago the order of dictionaries had some influence on the behaviour of Pleco. I therefore put Unihan on top of the dictionary list and ACE at the bottom - now ACE works! I will do some testing and tell you about the result.

HW60

状元
I changed the order of dictionaries 4 times. With this very limited number of test cases, ACE, RAD and GF can never be used for drawing characters in fullscreen input mode, and either ABC or GF cannot be used depending on the order of the dictionaries (2 cases each). The ACE case is contradictory to my last post, I do not know why.

When characters actually can be entered in full screen mode, the dictionaries behave different in another way: draw a character, do NOT tap on it, but tap on the dictionary symbol to change dictionary, then 2 results are possible:
- the drawn character is gone, and I can enter a new character (if possible), or
- the drawn character is still there, the background is gray faded, and the character could still be selected, now with the new dictionary
When the character is gone and the dictionary allows drawing a new character, and again I tap on the dictionary symbol, then after some taps there comes a dictionary, where all drawn characters can be seen on one screen. One example:
- Dictionary order RAD, ACE, OX, GF, HDD, ABC,UNI, CC, User-1, ADS, User-2, TL
- start with RAD visible, there are 4 dictionaries that cannot be used for input in fullscreen are on top
- tap on the dictionary symbol until HDD appears: the first dictionary where a character can be entered; tap on the dictionary symbol without selecting the drawn character:
- ABC appears, the drawn character is gone; draw a character with ABC (working here, as GF does not work), tap on the dictionary symbol:
- UNI visible, the drawn character is gone ... and so on until User-2 is the active dictionary, no drawn character visible
- tap on the dictionary symbol again, RAD apperas, and all 7 characters that had vanished before are now visible.

Actually that is not a real problem, but it could be that the 2 things have a similar reason.

HW60

状元
Sorry if I bore you, but it must be "ACE, RAD and OX can never be used" in the first sentence.

HW60

状元
Last information: there is no problem, when a software keyboard below Pleco's main screen is opened - then with all active dictionaries characters can be drawn.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks for all of the extra information on this - should hopefully be relatively easy to track down for 2.0.5.

The software keyboard change has me thinking this might have something to do with the scroll bar - is there any chance that the behavior might specifically be dependent on whether or not there's a scroll bar in the dictionary definition?

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
The software keyboard change has me thinking this might have something to do with the scroll bar - is there any chance that the behavior might specifically be dependent on whether or not there's a scroll bar in the dictionary definition?
Yes! With a definition so long that it needs a scrollbar, I cannot enter characters; when there are short definitions without a scrollbar there is no problem drawing them. It is especially independent of the dictionary: with lengthy definitions HDD does not work, with short definitions it does. ADS normally has short definitions, ACE often has long ones, which made me think that the dictionary is the reason for the results.

HW60

状元
"Attempt to disable TouchFlo in fullscreen" I had enabled before hoping to reduce the "scratching" when drawing characters in flashcard mode, but that was not successful (I open a software keyboard now, and then the scratching is a little bit reduced). In dictionary mode I changed to full screen entry with moderate success, but with the problem I described above: I cannot draw characters, when in the input field the definition of the actual word is so long that a scroll bar is needed.

It took some time and nerves to change the PDA registry to be able to read and write chinese and japanese characters in Mobile Outlook and Browser. I had seen the forum hints for the Touch Flow changes, but I am not very fond of changing the registry, and the actual problem is not so big to try it again. Maybe you can solve the problem with the next release ...

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... what firmware / WM version are you using on your Touch HD now? That "attempt to disable" option certainly seems to have worked until recently at least...of course if HTC would just release an API for us to programmatically disable touch-scrolling we wouldn't have to worry about this.

HW60

状元
I have a ROM-Version 1.56.407.2 (43972) GER (if that is what you need) with all updates provided by HTC and Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional. Actually I am not convinced that Touch Flo is the reason for the described behaviour:
- when the definition is short, there is no scroll bar and full screen input is possible
- when the definition field is long, there is a scroll bar, and full screen input is impossible, BUT
- when the definition field is short or long and I open any of my different software keyboards, then the scroll bar is active or not (depending on the definition size), and full screen input is possible (and no Touch Flo).
So either any of my 8 software keyboards deactivates Touch Flo, or the problem has nothing to do with Touch Flo.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Well in that case I'm wondering why this problem hasn't been a lot more widely reported - seems like it ought to affect any other Touch HD with WM6.1. Though it might relate to the other problems people have reported with input becoming less smooth without the software keyboard opened; still, though, WM6.1 has been out for quite a while and these have only come up in the last few months. When was the last time you actually updated your ROM? Can you remember this happening at all in previous versions of Pleco? Pinpointing when / why this started happening should go a long way towards diagnosing / fixing it...

HW60

状元
It is about 6 months or more ago that I updated my Touch HD. The problem did not appear earlier because I started using full screen input about 4 weeks ago when I wanted to escape the "scratching" input which is still happening in Flashcard mode, while full screen mode is much better than the normal HWR input.

As I can always change the dictionary to get a short definition field or can open a software keyboard, the problem actually does not matter very much. But using full screen input in flashcards might help there too.

I've noticed in the reader that there's no pop-up menu anymore. Perhaps it went away a while ago, but I haven't been using my Tapcis for more than a half year until recently.

I most often used two functions, magnify (for complex characters I found it easier to memorize with a larger "picture"), and the info/stroke order/related dialog.

I've tried using a pop-up dictionary, magnified headwords (but that takes up space ALL the time), and tried other methods, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.