2.1 Feature Requests

HW60

状元
Redistribution of cards would solve another problem that was not mentioned so far, when 150 cards are due today and 50 tomorrow because they are unevenly distributed - the idea to redistribute their due dates looks promising and would solve some very old feature requests: show the number of due cards for the near future. Most users will do redistribution regularly by just refusing to continue to review without knowing if they ever can catch up.

I also think that frequency adjusted card selection could be removed, if repetition spaced would not leave people with problems. All new Pleco users and all who did not do their dayly workload of reviews for some time (so that redistribution has to be done over some 3-4 weeks) will chose frequency adjust because there seems to be no other solution. Therefore for these rare situations their should be a way back to normal spaced repetition, supported by Pleco. Pleco could tell the user that the selected number of cards is too small to catch up, but Pleco cannot force the user to do 300 cards when he just would like to do 100 (and then switch to frequency adjust because he cannot escape the workload).
mikelove said:
I think the best solution to this problem might be to simply make "limit unlearned" also check for the number of cards currently due for review and refuse to introduce new cards if it was above a certain limit
That looks like the solution I tried to suggest, especially if combined with your redistribution idea.
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
That looks like the solution I tried to suggest, especially if combined with your redistribution idea.
Sorry, you're right, that is similar - that's what I get for reading a message but waiting half a day to type out a reply :) Introducing new cards as a slightly separate operation might also make sense - a different UI which at the very least makes it clear that you're seeing a card for the first time and maybe even shows it to you before the start of the review; that UI could then include an option to skip over those new cards, though hopefully it wouldn't even show them to you unless you had room in your schedule for them.
 

radioman

状元
Am I missing something, or was the ability to write combinations (rather than single characters) extended to the hand writing recognition function either completed, definitely planned, being pondered, or unequivocally off the table?

Just trying to get my facts, and head... straight.
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
radioman said:
Am I missing something, or was the ability to write combinations (rather than single characters) extended to the hand writing recognition function either completed, definitely planned, being pondered, or unequivocally off the table?
It's still not possible to write multiple characters at the same time, but we did add an IME-like common second character suggestion option - Settings / Panels / Handwriting Interface / Show 2nd chars on tap.
 

HW60

状元
Is it possible, in flashcards to show simplified characters and ask for traditional or vice versa? Can it be done with the iPhone?
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
Is it possible, in flashcards to show simplified characters and ask for traditional or vice versa? Can it be done with the iPhone?
Not supported on any platform at the moment, no - it would all be engine code, so in theory we could pretty easy develop it as a cross-platform feature for iPhone and WM, but we haven't done so yet.
 

thph2006

进士
It would be nice if you could click on an abbreviation or symbol (e.g. asterisk) in a dictionary entry and have it's meaning displayed. It can be difficult or sometimes impossible for me to switch from the dictionary or flashcards to my desktop to search the on-line documentation when one of these pops up.
 

johnh113

榜眼
Dear Mike,

I agree with thph2006 that it would be great to have an easy way to know what those abbreviations mean. Or just eliminate the abbreviations and spell out the work.

John
 

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
thph2006 said:
It would be nice if you could click on an abbreviation or symbol (e.g. asterisk) in a dictionary entry and have it's meaning displayed. It can be difficult or sometimes impossible for me to switch from the dictionary or flashcards to my desktop to search the on-line documentation when one of these pops up.
That's on the to-do list on iPhone (integrated with the new online help system) but it's probably too much new UI to make it into the WM version unfortunately - basically on WM we're waiting for our next big iPhone update with a couple of major new cross-platform engine features (like full-text user dict searching) and then assuming there's anybody still interested in WM at that point we plan to release a final WM update incorporating those features and the minimal amount of configuration etc UI necessary to make use of them.
 
Top