2.2.0 Bug Report / Feedback Thread

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Emphasis on OCR, of course, but any other feedback is welcome too (there are some other not-insignificant new things like tap-hold text selection too).

dcarpent

榜眼
I'm one of those people with an iPod rather than an iPhone, so I'll have to wait to try out the new OCR function. Sounds great though. Perhaps if Verizon and Apple release an iPhone in 2011 I'll get one and buy the OCR add-on. Until then I've been looking over all the other new features added to 2.2.0. You HAVE been busy! I have a couple of questions so far. Is the new tap-hold selection supposed to work in the Reader in non-edit mode? When I tap and hold on a word the selection box with the little adjustment dots/handles pops up, but these dots for expanding the size of the selection seem to be inactive. In edit mode I do the same thing and the dots will allow me to increase the size of the selection as much as I want. Same thing in the dictionary. But in the Reader they don't seem to work. Is this by design or is this a bug (or known limitation)?

Another question: In the web reader it seems that sometimes the Pleco pop-dictionary function interferes with clicking on links on the page. If I'm trying to navigate to a new page the link doesn't work, and instead I get a pop-up for the text used in the link. The two functions seem to interfere with each other. Does implementing the Pleco live mode somehow prevent links from behaving normally?

One more question which is not Pleco specific, but one that you might be able to answer. Do you know if there is any way to prevent a web site from automatically switching to the iPod optimized version of their site when you browse to their page using the iPad? This happens in the Pleco web reader as well as in Safari. I was trying to go to the Chinese version of the Financial Times in the web reader to use it to read some stories, but it kept loading the iPad version and I was unable to open any of the stories, perhaps for the reasons mentioned above. Sometimes the standard web version is perferable to the iPad optimized version, but you are not given the option of viewing it.

Thanks for all of your work on this update. It is great the way you keep improving Pleco, even though it is so good already. I'm really looking forward to the new dictionaries you mentioned coming next year (esp. the Classical dictionary). Any word on the new Oxford? I hope that either you or Wenlin gets the license. I went ahead and bought the print version but I hope I will eventually be able to use an electronic version as well.

kun4

举人
The obvious question: how do you enable OCR on an iPod Touch 4, knowing quite well it isn't supported?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dcarpent said:
Is the new tap-hold selection supposed to work in the Reader in non-edit mode? When I tap and hold on a word the selection box with the little adjustment dots/handles pops up, but these dots for expanding the size of the selection seem to be inactive. In edit mode I do the same thing and the dots will allow me to increase the size of the selection as much as I want. Same thing in the dictionary. But in the Reader they don't seem to work. Is this by design or is this a bug (or known limitation)?

It is supposed to work, yes - could you expand on this a bit? Is it not possible to drag those adjustment dots around, or are you referring to the fact that the arrow buttons we usually use to resize selections don't appear with tap-hold selections? We're planning to converge the two systems (tap-hold selection and tap-lookup) in a future release, but we're waiting to make sure we get all of the bugs out of it first (wouldn't want to introduce problems in the existing reader functionality).

dcarpent said:
Another question: In the web reader it seems that sometimes the Pleco pop-dictionary function interferes with clicking on links on the page. If I'm trying to navigate to a new page the link doesn't work, and instead I get a pop-up for the text used in the link. The two functions seem to interfere with each other. Does implementing the Pleco live mode somehow prevent links from behaving normally?

Actually it's supposed to be the opposite - tapping on the link follows the link but doesn't look up the word; could you let me know which page(s) you're seeing this on? (by PM if you don't want to post them publicly)

dcarpent said:
One more question which is not Pleco specific, but one that you might be able to answer. Do you know if there is any way to prevent a web site from automatically switching to the iPod optimized version of their site when you browse to their page using the iPad? This happens in the Pleco web reader as well as in Safari. I was trying to go to the Chinese version of the Financial Times in the web reader to use it to read some stories, but it kept loading the iPad version and I was unable to open any of the stories, perhaps for the reasons mentioned above. Sometimes the standard web version is perferable to the iPad optimized version, but you are not given the option of viewing it.

Hmm... that one would be rather tricky; if the site isn't giving you the option to select the non-iOS version then you'd have to fake the browser ID header to make it think you were connecting from a different device. I don't know of any way to do that in Safari, though we could theoretically support it in our own browser if there was a lot of interest...

dcarpent said:
Any word on the new Oxford? I hope that either you or Wenlin gets the license. I went ahead and bought the print version but I hope I will eventually be able to use an electronic version as well.

Nothing I can share publicly - it'd certainly be a nice title to add to our product line, but having reviewed it I wouldn't say that it represents enough of a quantum leap over our current dictionary selection to be a game-changer; if someone else ends up releasing it on iPhone I'm quite confident we can kick their butts :)

adro said:
OCR works great so far! Thanks!!

Thank you!

kun4 said:
The obvious question: how do you enable OCR on an iPod Touch 4, knowing quite well it isn't supported?

We're still working on the website code to enable that - once that's ready you'd email us with your iPod's UDID and we'd override the non-autofocus-device lockout for you. (details to follow)

dcarpent

榜眼
The issue I reported on the tap-hold selection seems to be specific to the iPad. If I open the same text in Pleco reader on the iPod Touch and on the iPad, the iPod Touch version lets me expand selections using the adjustment dots (NOT the arrow buttons) in regular read mode, but on the iPad I cannot do this. The adjustment dots just don't respond. You can't drag them. They only work if I switch to edit mode. So this feature is definitely behaving differently on my iPad vs. my iPod Touch.

As for the web link issue, I was on the home page of the Financial Time Chinese edition (www.ftchinese.com), which defaults to their iPad version (www.ftchinese.com/channel/ipad.htrml). If I tap on a link to an article I just get a pop-up dictionary entry for the character I happen to click on. I can't activate the link to go to the article. So basically I'm stuck on the home page and unable to navigate to anything on their site, i.e., I can't read any of the articles except the one showing on their home page for iPad.

gato

状元
Is there a more detailed change log than the description in the App Store, so I can try out all the new features. :D (I know. I'm kidding about the many new features, but would still like to know what's new.)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dcarpent said:
The issue I reported on the tap-hold selection seems to be specific to the iPad. If I open the same text in Pleco reader on the iPod Touch and on the iPad, the iPod Touch version lets me expand selections using the adjustment dots (NOT the arrow buttons) in regular read mode, but on the iPad I cannot do this. The adjustment dots just don't respond. You can't drag them. They only work if I switch to edit mode. So this feature is definitely behaving differently on my iPad vs. my iPod Touch.

Looks like this has to do with the new (and on-by-default on iPad) "Larger margins" option for the document reader - turn that off in Settings / Reader and that should get the dots working again.

dcarpent said:
As for the web link issue, I was on the home page of the Financial Time Chinese edition (http://www.ftchinese.com), which defaults to their iPad version (http://www.ftchinese.com/channel/ipad.htrml). If I tap on a link to an article I just get a pop-up dictionary entry for the character I happen to click on. I can't activate the link to go to the article. So basically I'm stuck on the home page and unable to navigate to anything on their site, i.e., I can't read any of the articles except the one showing on their home page for iPad.

OK, we'll try reproducing this here - thanks! One workaround in the meantime would be to temporarily turn off Live Mode (via the address bar) until you get to the article you want to read, then turn it back on and reload the page, though I realize that that's rather awkward...

gato said:
Is there a more detailed change log than the description in the App Store, so I can try out all the new features. (I know. I'm kidding about the many new features, but would still like to know what's new.)

There are quite a few, actually:

http://www.pleco.com/ipmanual/vershist.html

Some boring but necessary and extremely-hairy-to-program ones, like letting you delete / update dictionaries "live" instead of exiting / reopening (pretty much a necessity for the app to behave correctly on iOS 4). And sticky dictionary selection in the reader should be very popular and will probably be the default in a future release.

dcarpent

榜眼
Thanks for the workaround for the use of tap-hold selection on the iPad reader; it worked. No luck with the web browser issue however. I turned off live mode and the links on the page were still not active. I tried the same page is Safari and it worked just fine, so the problem seems to be specific to the browser within Pleco. However it also seems to be specific to which web site I'm looking at. I switched to Wikipedia and the links worked just fine. It seems that the links on some Chinese web sites don't work properly even with live mode turned off, but others work properly. Go figure . . . As an example of a Chinese web site whose links seem inactive with or without live mode I was trying www.i21st.cn
Perhaps it is just an issue with the web site itself.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
dcarpent said:
Thanks for the workaround for the use of tap-hold selection on the iPad reader; it worked.

Glad to hear it; the problem should be fixed altogether in 2.2.1.

dcarpent said:
No luck with the web browser issue however. I turned off live mode and the links on the page were still not active. I tried the same page is Safari and it worked just fine, so the problem seems to be specific to the browser within Pleco. However it also seems to be specific to which web site I'm looking at. I switched to Wikipedia and the links worked just fine. It seems that the links on some Chinese web sites don't work properly even with live mode turned off, but others work properly. Go figure . . . As an example of a Chinese web site whose links seem inactive with or without live mode I was trying www.i21st.cn

Well that's odd... with Live Mode off we basically just give the iPhone's built-in web browser a URL and tell it to have at it, so I'm not sure why our system would be handling them differently... perhaps a multi-window / JavaScript type thing, we'll have to examine this further.

songlei

hi there, got a quick question about a suspected bug/human error on my side:

i downloaded the latest version of pleco, installed the ocr and document reader. i imported a txt file from my iphone's email client, all works fine, except for the bookmarks. when i'm reading the file, i can add book marks, and these show up and work fine after adding them. but when i exit the file, and reopen it later, all my bookmarks are gone. is this normal?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Move the file out of that folder (tap on the "Edit" button at the top right corner of the file browser screen, tap on the file to select it, tap on the "Move" button and put the file in the root folder or some other location) and you should then be able to create bookmarks for it - this is a bug related to the attachment file copying feature which we should hopefully be able to fix in 2.2.2.

TGD

ADD-ONS are not working (for me)

I don't know if i am the only one facing this problem.

I tried downloading / installing the free add-ons and wanted to try the OCR demo.
BUT, when clicking on the "DOWNLOAD" button, nothing happens - it simply goes back to add-ons menu.

I had used this successfully on the last version of Pleco.

I have also tried the manual method, of downloading the zip files, and transferring them via the "Pleco Documents" section in iTunes 10. This didn't achieve anything either.

Might simply be an error in my iphone. Running a 3GS with iOS 4.01.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
TGD said:
ADD-ONS are not working (for me)

I don't know if i am the only one facing this problem.

I tried downloading / installing the free add-ons and wanted to try the OCR demo.
BUT, when clicking on the "DOWNLOAD" button, nothing happens - it simply goes back to add-ons menu.

I had used this successfully on the last version of Pleco.

I have also tried the manual method, of downloading the zip files, and transferring them via the "Pleco Documents" section in iTunes 10. This didn't achieve anything either.

Might simply be an error in my iphone. Running a 3GS with iOS 4.01.

That should be compatible... if you go into the "Downloads" tab after attempting that download, do you see OCR listed with some sort of "download failed' error message?

With the manual method, after copying the file over are you also opening up the file browser and tapping on the file (per the instructions)? If you are doing that, exactly what happens when you do?

WoS

I have the same problem with restoring my purchased full pleco via add pleco documents in iTunes. Simply no adds are shown in the box,although I downloaded them from the pleco homepage.Have them on my PC in the original zipped version,but iTunes just won't recognize them.Re installed iTunes,same thing.
I was lucky to find a "fast" wifi connection here in China,so I was finally able to directly download and install the files on my iPhone4,otherwise I'd have a real problem.Is there something wrong with apples iTunes add box?

TGD

mikelove said:
That should be compatible... if you go into the "Downloads" tab after attempting that download, do you see OCR listed with some sort of "download failed' error message?

With the manual method, after copying the file over are you also opening up the file browser and tapping on the file (per the instructions)? If you are doing that, exactly what happens when you do?

FYI, just updated iTunes, and re-installed Pleco. All working now. Thnx.
The OCR looks like fun!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
WoS said:
I have the same problem with restoring my purchased full pleco via add pleco documents in iTunes. Simply no adds are shown in the box,although I downloaded them from the pleco homepage.Have them on my PC in the original zipped version,but iTunes just won't recognize them.Re installed iTunes,same thing.
I was lucky to find a "fast" wifi connection here in China,so I was finally able to directly download and install the files on my iPhone4,otherwise I'd have a real problem.Is there something wrong with apples iTunes add box?

Hmm... so what exactly happened when you dragged them into that box? Was there an error message, did it act like nothing had happened, did the files bounce back to suggest they couldn't copy over? Also, which version of Windows / iTunes are you using?

WoS

Nothing happened when I dragged them in the box. Or better, I tried to drag them in. There were no files appearing in there. They just vanished. I'm running the "latest" version of Windows XP, and iTunes (10.0.1.22).It happens with any files there, tried to get a users dict for gudai hanyu on my iPhone that way, didn't work.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
What about if you click on the "Add" button below the box and select them manually that way; does that work any better?

C

Charles

I have noticed a strange thing with the new version of the software: If I am looking at an entry of 3 or more characters in any dictionary and I select the first two characters (or 3 characters for an entry of 4 or more characters), the pop-up window shows me the definition for the entire underlying dictionary entry, not just the 2 (or 3 characters) I have selected. If I then tap on the dictionary icon in the bottom right-hand corner of the pop-up window and cycle through the dictionaries, the problem corrects itself and I see the definition for the 2 (or 3 characters) on the next and subsequent dictionaries. (If I only select the first character, the pop-up window works correctly and just shows me the definition for the that character.)
Here are a couple of examples:
- If the dictionary entry is 服务员 and I select 服务, the pop-up window shows me the definition for 服务员, not 服务. (If I only select 服, it works OK and I see the definition for 服.)
- If the dictionary entry is 马克思主义 and I select either 马克 or 马克思, the pop-up window shows me the definition for 马克思主义.