2 dictionary definitions in 1 flashcard?

roxie321

Just wondering, is it possible to have 2 definitions on 1 flashcard?

For example, the ABC dictionary definition and the 现代汉语 definition?

I want to have sentences on each flashcard to learn how to use the word (this is for reviewing purposes, trying to study the HSK level 4 words)

I bought the linguist bundle and it seems that only the 现代 dictionary has example sentences for most words....

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not easily, but in the "Edit Card" screen (accessible from the Card Info screen, which you get to through Manage or Organize Flashcards) you can convert the flashcard to one with a custom definition and then copy-and-paste in the useful bits of the ABC and 现代汉语规范词典 definitions. We're considering adding an option to make this easier in a future version, though, e.g. by letting you search for dictionary entries and append text from them to a flashcard with a single command.

roxie321

yes, if the next update had a feature where u can flip through different dictionary definitions easily on the flashcard screen (like the current search screen) would be great to see!

sometimes it just isnt possible to use english to define a chinese word, and the xiandai dictionary seems to have slighty more indepth definitions... very handy for studying the small nuances in chinese especially between synonyms.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
A bunch of people have asked for a dictionary switch button in flashcards, actually - not sure why it hasn't shown up yet in the 2.1 feature requests thread but it certainly ought to be doable. You can already get some of that functionality if you highlight the flashcard headword (once the card is revealed), tap-hold on it and select "Popup Defn" from the list that shows up - that'll give you a pop up dictionary definition window which you can then use to see the same word in different dictionaries.

sfrrr

状元
what about moving a custom definition from one custom dictionary to another. I just discovered that I assigned several custom entries to the wrong dictionary and had to fix each on manually. For a couple, I just deleted the old definition in the wrong dictionary and rewrote it into the correct one.

Or maybe none but the geezers among us need that kind of error correcting. (Of course, now that I have only one user dictionary (again), my problems are over, right?)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
I don't know if it's worth setting up a dedicated UI for that, but perhaps a "Merge Dictionaries" command or something along those lines to copy entries from one dictionary to another would make sense.