Add pinyin to imported flashcards?

thph2006

进士
Hi,
I have a flashcard file with simplified-character sentences and their English translations but no pinyin. The manual says Pleco can insert Pinyin for you but the instructions weren't clear to me.

From the manual:
"Pleco can also fill in the Pinyin pronunciation if you skip that. Make sure not to use more than one tab in each of those <tab> spaces, otherwise the importer might get confused about whether it's reading Pinyin or the definition for a word."

I tried the two ways below.
characters<tab><tab>definition
characters<tab>definition

The first produced cards with just the Hanzi and English. The second produced Hanzi with mangled English. Neither produced pinyin. Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, tom

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
thph2006 said:
From the manual:
"Pleco can also fill in the Pinyin pronunciation if you skip that. Make sure not to use more than one tab in each of those <tab> spaces, otherwise the importer might get confused about whether it's reading Pinyin or the definition for a word."

I tried the two ways below.
characters<tab><tab>definition
characters<tab>definition

The first produced cards with just the Hanzi and English. The second produced Hanzi with mangled English. Neither produced pinyin. Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong?

Sorry, that should say "if you skip that as well" - it only works if you omit the Pinyin and the definition. Pleco can't fill in the Pinyin from the characters + definition since characters can sometimes have multiple pronunciations and it doesn't know which pronunciation is associated with the definition you supplied.