All of my custom flash cards suddenly invalidated

Snooker

I have been using Plecodict's flashcard software for some time by using flashcards created on my computer on a list, and then added to the PDA.

After closing and re-opening plecodict, I find that all of my custom created flashcards have turned into "INVALID" and when they are reviewed, it says that the dictionary associated is not valid. When I try to edit the card, my PDA crashes. If I re-import the flash cards, they'll come back normally, but the originals have ranks & review data on it I'd been using. Is there any easy way to restore the original cards without re-importing?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Hmm... so when you created these flashcards on your PC, did they include their own definitions? If so, it sounds like the problem here actually isn't with your flashcard data file but rather with your user dictionary database, which is where all of those definitions are stored.

Anyway, if that database is corrupted I'm afraid there's probably not much we can do to fix this, but in case it's just an issue with your Palm's filesystem here's a fix you can try. Download and install the free utility FileZ from http://www.nosleep.net/, run it, tap on the View and Edit Files button, and tap on the triangle next to Internal to browse the contents of your Palm's internal memory. Scroll through the list of files and look for Pleco User DB C-E; there may be more than one of these. Select them all, and use the Move command to move them to your Palm's memory card. Then, open up the memory card in FileZ and move the files right back into your Palm's memory.

Snooker

That didn't work. Are there any other ways to fix the problem? And what could have caused it? I had a lot of flashcards created for plecodict, will the custom dictionary reset if it reaches a certain size? They did include their own definitions, not using the plecodict ones.

Dinslc622

Today I'm creating flashcard lists for class and all the sudden my user dictionary crashed. All my flashcard lists are now loaded with many "invalid" flashcards. Not to mention I can't even acess my user ditionary anymore. If I've lost the definitions, that sucks. But I care more about being able to move on, so how can I fix the file so that I can continue to use pleco? I'm betting that it wouldn't be wise to just delete the user dict. Can you please help me figure out how to fix this, even if that does mean that I have to start over. Thanks.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Snooker - sorry for not responding to this earlier, just completely missed seeing it amidst all of the other 10/1 happenings. Unfortunately there's not really much else we can try, even if we could extract the entries from that file that still wouldn't match them up with the flashcards. If you haven't yet HotSynced your Palm since the dictionary entries were corrupted, you could look in your Palm Desktop backup folder and try syncing the last version from that, but that's about the only way I can think of you could get the data back if the problem is in the file and not the filesystem (as it appears to be).

We've tested custom dictionaries with pretty large numbers of entries, so there's no intrinsic reason why it would fail if you added too many, but nonetheless you might want to consider using the built-in definitions instead of custom ones for everything; just delete the definition text from a copy of the file before you import it and the definitions should get matched up with built-in entries. Honestly most of our flashcard testing was with that setup and that's the way we think most of our customers are using it, though obviously that's not an excuse for things not working the way they should.

Dinslc622 - if all you're trying to do is restore the definitions and you're not worried about losing the associated rank data, we can actually help with that. First, go into your Palm Desktop user folder (My Computer, C, Program Files, Palm or palmOne or Palm Desktop, (your username)), open up the Backup folder inside of it, and move the PlecoDict Flashcards and PlecoDict User DB files from there to your desktop. After you've done that (and only after), HotSync your Palm and the current versions of those Flashcards and User DB files should be copied over. Send those newer versions to us in an e-mail, then install the older versions back to your Palm like you would any other Palm data files (i.e., double-click on them and then HotSync). Launch PlecoDict again and hopefully the old versions should be restored and uncorrupted again; if not, there's a very good chance we can at least recover your dictionary entries from the corrupted files.

In the future, in both of your cases I'd recommend making regular backups of the flashcard and user db files: to do this, simply HotSync your Palm and copy those two files out of the Backup folder. Also, and this is a good warning to anyone, if you encounter file corruption like this in the future, DO NOT HOTSYNC YOUR PALM; that will cause the most recent backup copies to be overwritten by the corrupted versions. Instead, move those files out of your Backup folder and then try reinstalling them to your Palm as described above.

Dinslc622

Mike, thanks for the instructions, but I can't find any of those locations or files. I'm pretty sure it's because I'm not using a PALM, I have an HP IPAQ. I have looked on my computer and can't find any kind of backup, but I do know where to find the files when I plug in my palm. Unless you have more to share that means that I can only give you the corrupt version. Please let me know what I need to do.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Oops, sorry about that, I was thinking Palm because of Snooker's post and didn't stop to wonder whether you might be using the Pocket PC version instead. Anyway, on Pocket PC there's unfortunately no backup unless you've specifically set up ActiveSync to make one, but if you send us those corrupted files (connect your Pocket PC to your desktop and open up My Computer, Mobile Device to get them) there's a good chance we can extract the text of the entries from your user dictionary.

The backup procedure on Pocket PC, incidentally, is just to connect it, go to My Computer, Mobile Device, and copy the Flashcards and User DB files to a safe location on your regular PC's hard drive - for any Pocket PC users reading this I'd recommend doing that at least once a month, or twice a month if you're making heavy use of the flashcard system. Even without the potential for file corruption it's always a bad idea to have the only copy of something you've put a lot of work into on an easily-lost/stolen/dropped Pocket PC.