Ankidroid as Flashcard System (HSK level tagging)

For a while I have been using flashcard lists in pleco as a sort of "save for later" list, where every once in a while I would add the words from my pleco list to anki, then delete them from the list. I just learned today that there is an option to use ankidroid as my flashcard system, and when I tried this I realized it works perfectly! I love this feature. The only addition I would suggest is have the ability to use TTS for one of the flashcard fields. But that isn't my main problem. My problem is that I would like to be able to use the pleco flashcard system in addition to ankidroid. The main reason for this is just so that I can have the HSK tags on my dictionary entries, but it would also be nice to be able to create lists to save for later. I read in another post that the reason pleco doesn't support both flashcard systems simultaneously is because it would cause confusion as to where the flashcards are stored. A half solution(this doesn't fix my desire to still make lists in pleco, but that is less important) could be to just add HSK tags as a feature in settings, this would be more clear to new users of pleco too. An even simpler solution could be an HSK dictionary that people can download, which just says the HSK level of the word instead of a definition.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can actually get tags in Pleco from AnkiDroid - go into our settings for AnkiDroid integration and you should see an option to provide a list of AnkiDroid tags which Pleco will pull out + display at the top of entries.

You can actually get tags in Pleco from AnkiDroid - go into our settings for AnkiDroid integration and you should see an option to provide a list of AnkiDroid tags which Pleco will pull out + display at the top of entries.
Are you talking about the Available Tags setting? That seems to just tag the card in anki, but I don't see any tag labels in my pleco dictionary.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
It'll only show them if it matches against a card in Anki (so there's also a [+] icon indicating the card already exists in an Anki deck) - if it's not doing that, check your model / duplicate-checking configuration.

Oh I see, it's working now. Is there a way to have it be able to tag words that aren't in the deck I use for adding new cards? It seems to only show tags from the deck I have set as the New Card Deck. I would like to be able to have all words tagged by HSK in pleco, but I don't want all the cards in the anki deck I use for studying.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, but I can't seem to get it to work. I downloaded an anki deck with all HSK words tagged by level, and imported it to ankidroid. Then on pleco I went to the card model that the deck uses and set the settings like this.

Screenshot_20181206-131722.png

This doesn't seem to tag the words in pleco. Can you see any reason why it might not be working? The formatting of the cards in the deck seem fine. (That simplified field has nothing but the characters)

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That deck's a little complicated / wonky - is there a simpler one you could try? Or maybe create a new deck and import a plaintext HSK list into that? Also, because it uses traditional as its first field it'll include it in duplicate checking whether you like it or not (Anki only indexes cards by their first field) so you'll want to add tc to 'include fields' under it.