AnkiDroid integration not working?

wengzilla

Just discovered the AnkiDroid integration and I was super excited to use it, but I'm having issues creating flashcards on my Pixel 3XL. Is this functionality working for everyone else?

When I click the "+" button after looking up a word, nothing happens... No toast error message, no spinner, etc. Previously, when I was using the Pleco flashcard system, the "+" button would have a square around it after adding. That's no longer the case.

What I've tried:
1) Opened AnkiDroid from the Pleco app's navigation menu. Worked great!
2) Made sure the Pleco Settings > Flashcards > Flashcard System is AnkiDroid. It is!
3) Made sure that in Settings > Apps > Pleco > Permissions that Pleco has "Read and write to the AnkiDroid database" enabled. It is!

Please help!

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Have you configured your models correctly in settings? (Without that Pleco doesn’t know how to create the card)

wengzilla

That was it! The "Default New Card Model (word)" and "Default New Card Model (sentence)" were blank...

Also, I only see 5 different options for importing chars... Simplified Headword, Traditional Headword, Mandarin Pronunciation, Cantonese Pronunciation, and Definition. Are there supposed to be others? For instance, could I somehow get the audio into Ankidroid?

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, just those at the moment.

We don't support audio in AnkiDroid because we're not contractually allowed to make our TTS voices available in other apps and we don't consider our recorded audio to be of higher quality than the output you get from Google TTS or freely available Android Chinese TTS engines (which AnkiDroid can integrate with directly).

shaoguan

举人
I got the same problem.
It stoppped working lately.
The "Configure Card models" menu is blank.

Can somebody help please ?

shaoguan

举人
Yes.
I doubled checked on 3 devices.
The permission is there and the problem is the same.
I have the name of the decks but not card models.
I will try to downgrade Anki and/or Pleco to see.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
That's weird... do they still come up fine in the AnkiDroid app itself? Are they not showing up anywhere in Pleco, i.e. not in the long-press + screen or in Settings / Flashcards?

shaoguan

举人
Yes I can still see Anki Models in Ankidroid.
When I hold + in definition screen in Pleco, I can see the list of decks but not Ankidroid models.

As I use Ankidroid 2.10.2 is it possible that the format of the Anki database slightly changed ?
Maybe I should raise the issue in Ankidroid github.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We don't access the database directly, we use their API; the source files for the API haven't changed in 7 months, so I'm guessing the issue is somewhere in AnkiDroid itself in 2.10.2. So yes, I'd suggest raising it on GitHub - make sure to note that it's a regression from previous versions of AnkiDroid in which this worked fine.

shaoguan

举人
For additionnal information :
When I remove my collection from Ankidroid, the connection between Ankidroid and Pleco establishes perfectly !

The last thing I remember before it started screwing up with my collection is that I added a "Zhuyin" field in my decks.

Edit :
Thanks for your time mikelove.