Anyone Still Here?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
We're thinking about releasing an early 2.0.5 beta on WM to test a couple of new engine changes (most importantly full-text user dictionary searching) along with testing them on iPhone, but that's only worth doing if there's still anyone using the WM version who's interested in beta-testing. So if you're watching this forum and would be interested in doing another WM beta, please let me know.

sfrrr

状元
Mike--I'd be glad ;to beta test your WM up0date, but since I transferred my subscription to my NEW iPod 4G with 64 gigs, my WM Pleco sub isn't active anymore. If there's a workaround for the purposes of testing, count me in--I still prefer the WM version because I haven't gotten used to the iPod version yet. But I gotta admit the iPhone/iPod is a far better platform for PD.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks.

sfrrr said:
Mike--I'd be glad ;to beta test your WM up0date, but since I transferred my subscription to my NEW iPod 4G with 64 gigs, my WM Pleco sub isn't active anymore. If there's a workaround for the purposes of testing, count me in--I still prefer the WM version because I haven't gotten used to the iPod version yet. But I gotta admit the iPhone/iPod is a far better platform for PD.

I'm sure we can set up something at least, though I don't know how much you actually use the user dictionary / flashcard features (which are likely to be the main focus of our engine improvements).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Thanks! (really sorry it's been so long since 2.0.4, OCR and Android have eaten up pretty much the whole summer / fall)

mfcb

状元
mikelove said:
We're thinking about releasing an early 2.0.5 beta on WM to test a couple of new engine changes (most importantly full-text user dictionary searching)
Any ETA? tomorrow is my birthday :lol:

sfrrr

状元
mikelove said:
Thanks.

sfrrr said:

I'm sure we can set up something at least, though I don't know how much you actually use the user dictionary / flashcard features (which are likely to be the main focus of our engine improvements).

It just occurred to me that you might like an answer to your implied question. I use the user dictionary all the time. You probably won't remember, but I used to manage to corrupt the file every few months and you'd have to help me fix it. I used th3e flashcards in WM more than I do in iOS, partially because I've never completed importing my old flashcard files (several thousand cards) from WM to iOS.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
sfrrr said:
It just occurred to me that you might like an answer to your implied question. I use the user dictionary all the time. You probably won't remember, but I used to manage to corrupt the file every few months and you'd have to help me fix it. I used th3e flashcards in WM more than I do in iOS, partially because I've never completed importing my old flashcard files (several thousand cards) from WM to iOS.

Not sure if I was implying a question there, but thanks - I think user dictionaries would be more heavily used if we presented them more prominently / made them more readily accessible, though it's taking us a while to get real feature parity with Pleco-created ones.

HW60

状元
I make a user dictionary about every two weeks: export flashcards, import them in a new user dictionary. The user dictionary is first in the dictionary list. Then when a seemingly new word occurs I can enter it using the main screen - if I don't find it in the user dict, "+" adds it to my flashcards. Otherwise it only seemed to be new. The alternative using Flashcards - Manage Flashcards - look by headword takes considerably more time. And in compounds - which unfortunately still needs an additional hit to open - I can easily see the words I should know.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
I make a user dictionary about every two weeks: export flashcards, import them in a new user dictionary. The user dictionary is first in the dictionary list. Then when a seemingly new word occurs I can enter it using the main screen - if I don't find it in the user dict, "+" adds it to my flashcards. Otherwise it only seemed to be new. The alternative using Flashcards - Manage Flashcards - look by headword takes considerably more time. And in compounds - which unfortunately still needs an additional hit to open - I can easily see the words I should know.

Not quite following - couldn't you just add the word to flashcards and look at the popup to see whether the card was a duplicate or not?

HW60

状元
mikelove said:
Not quite following - couldn't you just add the word to flashcards and look at the popup to see whether the card was a duplicate or not?
I prefer unique categories and would have to eliminate all duplicates. And the compounds look at all "my" vocabularies is very convenient. For the near future the full text search in user dicts would be the first step towards being happy, and some sort of character separation to get e.g. a list of all characters with the same non radical part and other nice things would be the second, but that will probably not be realised in Pleco für Windows Mobile.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
HW60 said:
I prefer unique categories and would have to eliminate all duplicates. And the compounds look at all "my" vocabularies is very convenient.

In that case, why not just set "duplicate cards" in Preferences / Flashcards to "Skip," or if you want a more prominent alert about them, "Prompt"? I can see how the compounds search might be useful, though.

HW60 said:
For the near future the full text search in user dicts would be the first step towards being happy, and some sort of character separation to get e.g. a list of all characters with the same non radical part and other nice things would be the second, but that will probably not be realised in Pleco für Windows Mobile.

Full-text search should still happen - all of those engine improvements are getting pushed back a few weeks while we do some more stuff with OCR - but yes, character component breakdowns probably won't; November was the best month of sales in Pleco's history but was also the worst month of Palm+WM sales in Pleco's history, the iPhone-to-non-iPhone ratio is running at something like 25:1 these days.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, no signup involved - it'll be posted here when it's ready, delayed a bit because the response to OCR on iPhone was so overwhelming that an upgrade to that took priority over the engine upgrades I mentioned at the start of this thread.

HW60

状元
Sometimes during a flashcard session I would like to know if a 汉字, which is part of the actual 生字, is already included in my flashcards. Then I have to quit the session, go to Manage flashcards, and look for this headword showing all my flashcards with that 汉字. I would like to have a shortcut from within the flashcard session directly to the Manage Flashcard list (like the direct way to the compounds with this 汉字).

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Probably better to cover that by adding an option for an indicator on every dictionary entry showing whether or not it's already in flashcards - this is long overdue anyway.