Audio Files Updated

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
You can download the latest ones through the Add-ons "Updates" tab. The main improvement is that we've been able to bump the volume by about 7 dB without affecting quality; this is pretty much as loud as we can get them, so hopefully it'll be enough for most people. We also fixed a hundred or so incorrect recordings and tweaked the encoder settings to hopefully make background noise a little less noticeable.

scykei

榜眼
Ohh, I thought it was for iOS :p I didn't read properly. Sorry.

EDIT: Will iOS get the update eventually? Because the audio there is pretty soft too. :S

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
scykei said:
Ohh, I thought it was for iOS :p I didn't read properly. Sorry.

EDIT: Will iOS get the update eventually? Because the audio there is pretty soft too. :S

Yes, we're just putting it out on Android a few days early in case there's a horrible bug (we'd rather not make tens of thousands of iOS users re-download 500 MB worth of audio files more than once).

skripp

举人
I did the update and after this none of the extended sound files were used, only the basic. Deleted the sound files and re-download and it worked. No problems here, but sucks for your download server if this is a problem for more than me.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
skripp said:
I did the update and after this none of the extended sound files were used, only the basic. Deleted the sound files and re-download and it worked. No problems here, but sucks for your download server if this is a problem for more than me.

Yeah, that's a bug we just found ourselves last night - should be fixed in Beta 6. There's actually no need to re-download, just kill and reopen Pleco and that should get the extended audio working again. (though unfortunately this bug means that we won't be able to update audio on iOS until the next bug-fix update on that)

Are you finding the volume improved at least?

skripp

举人
Yes. it's better, I'd say.

Found an error in da4lu4, though. Don't know if it was there before. Seems to end strangely.

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
skripp said:
Yes. it's better, I'd say.

Found an error in da4lu4, though. Don't know if it was there before. Seems to end strangely.

Thanks! That file wasn't changed, so it probably was there before - these sorts of bugs are actually tricky to fix because we can't always find the original recording that was clipped, but we can sometimes patch in a bit of audio from another recording, so we'll see what we can do for the next audio update.