Automated backups for Pleco flashcards on Android

Giraffe

举人
I'm wondering if anyone has found a way of doing automatic backups of the flashcard database? I know I can manually export an XML file to Dropbox (and then, because Dropbox on Android doesn't seem to do anything automatically, I have to manually do a sync).

I'm thinking I might be able to use Tasker, but before I get bogged down in something complicated I'm wondering if there's a more simple and obvious solution that I'm overlooking.

leoninto

秀才
You may want to investigate dropsync. It does scheduled syncs of your dropbox folder, but only folders you specify to avoid large bandwidth bills.

markv

秀才
I was wondering if there is still no automatic way? Just lost all cards and progress when my phone died and would like to prevent that from happening again.

EDIT: solution down here

Last edited:

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
Not one built into Pleco, but pretty much any system that can back up specific files from your SD card should work.

markv

秀才
I can look for an app that automates that, but wouldn't I still need to export a file to the SD manually every time?

mikelove

皇帝
Staff member
No, the Pleco database itself is stored there - /Android/data/com.pleco.chinesesystem/files/databases/

markv

秀才
Maybe someone has a suggestion for such a program (that automatically periodically backs up a specific file to some cloud) for Android?

GCloud backup seemed the one that matches that, but I can't select specific files (and /Anroid/data isn't included by default), and I can't create a hard- or symbolic link.

markv

秀才
Figured it out, there's a setting called "File storage location" in general settings which can be set to custom. Then in an app like GCloud you can add pqb extension and it will create backups. Maybe set it to weekly to not run out of space to quickly.

A little puzzle but much better than losing all my custom flashcards!